Is graffiti really art?

bomb_the_system

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i caught myself thinking about graffiti like there was some sort of philosophical matter to be pondered

but it was 2am after 4/20 and i was tripping shrooms and walking the streets i'd normally be drunk and bombing if i were out at that time

i srsly lost my shit on some dumb deep thought

of course next day i was sober and realized that was a momentary lapse of fail

some day everyone will be some crippled senile faggot alone in their crapped pants, if they're even lucky enough to live that long

200 years from now nobody will know who you were, unless you have a faggoty ass great-great-great-great-great grand child looking up bullshit on ancestry.com in a lame ass attempt to try to gain some better bullshit understanding of themselves. and you can bet the walls of the buildings you hit won't be around (unless you're breaking the rules and hitting churches)

soooooooo stoppppppp beinggggggggggg gayyyyyyyyy

either stop being a scared ass little moronic bitch afraid to fall out of line or PUT DOWN THE FUCKING PAINT, PUSSY

how the fuck do threads like this get approved

LOL wut...a thread either gets closed or it doesn't...this one unfortunately didn't.

people can get so fucking abstract when it comes to defining art that i'm starting to dislike using the word.

Art is something beautiful that has no value or use. Graffiti has no value or use to many people, well it has value to the writer who put it there. I see it as art, not just pieces, all off those tags, throwies, rollers..whatever. We as writers put the most amount of skill possible in every action we undertake.

I know, it's annoying when people say they like graffiti but hate taggers. It makes me :lol:

i can piece my ass off nh and my throws are on some shiiiit

but i still think my hands suck

i'm really picky about handstyles and hate a lot of the hands i see, so i'll be forever writing my name in almost plain normal handwriting until i really like my handsteez

it's really difficult to come with a handstyle that is at least some what legible, stylish as fuck and extremely clean all while maintaining your own individuality and personality

• 4 weeks later...
if its legal its art if, its illegal its graffiti, they are not 1 and the same

I would suggest that both illegal and legal graffiti are forms of art, although not of the same stature.

Legal graffiti is a form of folk art or perhaps design; Generally people are aware of a common pool of graffiti aesthetics, and seek to replicate them making minor adjustments and carving out a style and seeking aesthetic recognition from their peers.

Illegal graffiti is a form of higher art worthy of a greater depth of analysis. Many writers in the strictly illegal game would tend towards saying their actions are 'damage' or vandalism rather than art. However, at the core of their motivation is a desire for rebellious recognition and a shared interest in a particular aesthetic set. If this was not the case the same people who are painting would be satisfied by breaking windows or burning cars.

The interesting part is that these actions through their illegality are inherently political. quite often unknowingly so. Since illegal painters are creating a form of artwork in the face of the law, this reflects greatly the political and cultural context of western society. It is an aggressive attack on property laws and challenges the status quo regarding the rules for public space.

The primary motivation of the writer may be to get fame, however this concept is only meaningful within a particular subculture. It is important to view the action of painting impartially to understand its wider significance. For this reason writers are contributing to a political dialogue without being necessarily conscious of it.

When speaking about fine art, generally people tend to speak about the work making political comment and reflecting cultural context. As already noted the political comment is evident in the existence of illegal graffiti, the cultural context is the social, political, and legal framework that it is created in. For this reason, graffiti painted in China, is very different in meaning than graffiti painted in Canada (for example). Furthermore, graffiti painted under a highway in the middle of nowhere is very different from graffiti painted on a capital cities metro system. Both of these situations reflect the context that the graffiti is painted in. This is an element that is missing in legal graffiti as with permission to paint, there is no contextual difference between painting in the middle of a CBD as there is painting on the back of a barn shed.

To sum up, legal graffiti is about a shared appreciation of aesthetics as well as a varying degree of interest in belonging to a particular social network. Illegal graffiti is an aggressive form of fine art, sharing an appreciation the same (or at least similar) set of aesthetics, yet coupling this with a politically charged action which reflects the cultural context.