Is graffiti really art?

bomb_the_system

i've come to hate almost every legal production/commissioned wall

not because they're legal

just because 90% of them are corny

here's some shitty ass background that doesn't go with my piece at all, corny characters, and pieces that don't look good because they're completely out of context

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some is and some isnt.. if your graff looks like there's skill behind it and originality it's artistic. if you just throw your name up and dont care how it looks, or all you can do is bite other peoples shit and not create an original idea, its not.

i could stare at a burning wall all day, that's art. some kids think they're painting burners but are just copying something that's been done before by someone else, that's toy. graffiti's too accepting as a culture.

Graffiti (singular: graffito; the plural is used as a mass noun) is the name for images or lettering scratched, scrawled, painted or marked in any manner on property. Graffiti is any type of public markings that may appear in the forms of simple written words to elaborate wall paintings. Graffiti has existed since ancient times, with examples dating back to Ancient Greece and the Roman Empire.[1] In modern times, spray paint, normal paint and markers have become the most commonly used materials. In most countries, defacing property with graffiti without the property owner's consent is considered vandalism, which is punishable by law. Sometimes graffiti is employed to communicate social and political messages. To some, it is an art form worthy of display in galleries and exhibitions; to others it is merely vandalism. Graffiti has since evolved into a pop culture existence often related to underground hip hop music and b-boying creating a lifestyle that remains hidden from the general public.[2] Graffiti can be used as a gang signal to mark territory or to serve as an indicator or "tag" for gang-related activity. The controversies that surround graffiti continue to create disagreement amongst city officials/ law enforcement and graffitists looking to display their work in public locations. There are many different types and styles of graffiti and it is a rapidly developing artform whose value is highly contested, being reviled by many authorities while also subject to protection, sometimes within the same jurisdiction.

it is what it is

i've come to hate almost every legal production/commissioned wall

not because they're legal

just because 90% of them are corny

here's some shitty ass background that doesn't go with my piece at all, corny characters, and pieces that don't look good because they're completely out of context

i feel the same way i rather spend the time on my peice..graffiti is what you to make it.

It depends what you class as art. In my opinion, much more thought, effort and creativity goes into letter graffiti than most of the contemporary nonsense you can find at the Tate in London.

People stand around and drool over Damien Hirst's weird shit that apparently to the unsuspecting dummy is worth a small fortune. When in reality it's just nonsense that they are trying to ascertain a non-existent meaning from.

But these same people will criticise a form of real art (graffiti), but yet call an inanimate object, a piece of art.

Another reason why real graffiti will never be accepted as art is because it's free to do, and it frees the mind. They can't charge you to spray a wall or a train, but they can charge you to stand around and admire banksy.

_

• 3 weeks later...

My 2 cents; ain't no shame in doing legal murals here and there. Some shitty retail store or amateur photographer wants to pay me to piece a wall? I have no objections, I'll use a fake name. It's not like I can rack paint all the time, I need cash too. But if you ain't serious about bombing, true graffiti, don't bother calling yourself a writer or associating with graf. You're a joke and we'll run you right the fuck out of town.

P.S. Permission walls are a joke. I'm not blowing $30-60 just to have some toys diss me the day after and make me look like a chump.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

its all art to the person doing it. i like throw ups tags and full blown pieces. to me its all art until it become vandalism. what i mean by that when you have people that right on peoples personal cars,there houses and fences. thats nit cool at all i dont care how nice the art is.

just my thoughts on the subject.

MI:

It is art, it may not always look museum quality - but it is definitely a human type art form.

If you are asking yourself that question - "is it really art?' you should also ask yourself; Do I have any real art to compare graffiti to? or Do I even know what art is? "Doesn't art exist in everything we see/do?"

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there everyone!

I'm a third year student and I'm writing about just this topic, graffiti as art, graffiti as crime, and how the environment plays a role.

I was wondering if any of you would be able to help me out in collecting some data.

The deal is roughly 300 words (not pages and pages and more than one word answers) to as many of these questions as you feel suitable.

Obviously, all identities will remain anonymous and data collected will go no further than me and the staff of my university.

You don't need years of experience, just an interest in graffiti and an opinion to share.

I'd really appreciate your help, so hit me back on here, or you can email me mj9g08@soton.ac.uk.

Thanks again,

Megan.

• How do you feel that your concept of a 'hometown' has affected your writing?
  • Does the location of your work matter a lot to you?
  • Is there any where you wouldn't do graffiti, deeming it' inappropriate'?
  • Do you feel that your art is welcome where you do it?
  • How do you feel graffiti changes a neighbourhood?
  • How do you feel about graffiti being referred to as "crime" and unsightly?
  • How does the concept of ‘freedom’ within your area come into play with your work?