One guy dancing at a festival starts huge dance party.

LEVEL 75 PALADIN

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
As for the psychological aspect? The crowd mentality is good like that in these situations. Everyone wants to be a part of the fun once the ball starts rolling, and that's good for anyone no matter how "hippie" it is. I've been playing records at bars for the past few years. I don't do anything special, and I definitely haven't been hired for a dance floor. I did have a couple b-boy crews that would come down and dance, but it was a small crowd usually and only one person dancing at a time. Then the bar booked Jens Lekman to play the early half of our night. The show ended and the bar was packed full of vintage store hipsters. I started playing records, the break dancers started doing their thing, and a crowd of spectators formed. Then I threw on one track and the whole crowd bum rushed the dance floor, filled it, and started going off. It lasted for about 20 minutes, then died down, but it was the only night I ever played for a full dance floor and was probably the most fun I ever had playing records.

That's only happened to you once? I think we play approximately the same stuff, and I used to get the crowd going pretty consistently. It helps when they're drunk or high and it's a small club, though.

Yeah, other than the breakdancers, I've never played for a dance crowd. We did a Sunday night and usually only played to 15 people (if we were lucky). When the b-boys/girls started coming down, we were psyched. The gig I have now is just background music for a bar of drinkers.

If there are any b-boys/girls in NYC on here --let me know. I miss playing for people who actually appreciate what I play and will dance to it.

If there are any b-boys/girls in NYC on here --let me know. I miss playing for people who actually appreciate what I play and will dance to it.

im suprised there arent alot of bboys on here.bboyin seems like its almost as popular as when it came out...

it doesnt get much better than listenin to DJs spin breaks so rare you can only find em on 45s....

Yeah, other than the breakdancers, I've never played for a dance crowd. We did a Sunday night and usually only played to 15 people (if we were lucky). When the b-boys/girls started coming down, we were psyched. The gig I have now is just background music for a bar of drinkers.

Yeah, that's sort of what I used to do. I played out on different DJ nights at bars and art shows/events around SF...the guys I played with all had different backgrounds musically- a couple hipster/ex-goth guys, I' m mostly into punk and metal, one guy actually listened to hip hop- but we all played breaks and dance music. For some reason it worked out pretty well.

Trust me, I'm not knocking you or your skills/records. It's probably just the variation in crowds/cocaine or something.

i cant front i did something like this before...

when i was in school we didnt have to dress one day for gym, i was sitting with all the females and they were all listening to spanish music on their ipods and dancing with themselves.. i was talking to one of them and said, "why you just dancing with yourself..? lets take it to the floor..." she was shy at first then i brought her to the middle of the gym, each of us had a headphone in our ear and started dancing bachata like it was nothing.. next thing i know all the lil breezies came down and started dancing merengue, salsa, and other shit with us... even some of the teachers were like "how do you dance that?" so we were showing everyone how to and what not...

pretty fun i gotta admit....

• Like 1