Pacific Northwest (LA - Vancouver

thequeen

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Your suspicious post count, join date, and location tell me I shouldnt help you, but really Im helping myself because soon as the bike's working I'd like to make this trip myself.

Where do you like to go? What are you looking for? Scenic routes? Big cities? Local foodz?

stay on the 5 or 101 highways.

maybe jump on 1 (PCH) only around big sur, santa cruz etc. PCH takes too long but can be fun with twists and turns and rolling hills with amazing views.

pismo beach, santa cruz, monterey bay aquarium, yosemite, sequoia park,

taking the PCH from around malibu up through big sur / santa cruz is really nice.

plus it's slow going, but really scenic and easy to pull over and smoke/check out cool spots.

then hit up san francisco aaaaand that as far north as i've been.

yeah but santa barbara is only 2 hours outside of LA if on 101.

kind of a waste of money to pay for a room so close.

so is this a planned trip where its going to take 2-3 days or a month.or are you just planning on driving and getting there when you get there?

LA is in the Northwest?

Hwy 1 is a nice drive but it takes fucking forever. Take 101 out of LA then pick one of the many roads heading west if you want to see the coast...you probably don't want to miss Big Sur to Monterey/Santa Cruz.

Then from the Bay Area, take 80 to 5.

la is not in the northwest. im traveling to there from la, smartass.

i was thinking about just booking it up to canada then stopping to see the sights along the way back. there will be 2 of us driving so well be taking turns. only 24hours to vancouver from la, piece of cake. im a driver so i bet i can make it in 20.

i google mapped the route and i think the 101 will be the best bet. def the phc on the way back.

san fran, the sequioa trees, the oregan coast, trying to see the goonie house, seattle, ect. dont know how much longer ill be in socal so im trying to see that part of the country while im there.

any other cool spots to see and def places to eat would be good to know.

It was a joke aimed at the people who think everyone from California is tan and beautiful and weed and midget hookers are legal here.

LA to Vancouver in 24 hours on 101? HAHAHAHA. You're talking about driving approximately 1100 miles through several major cities. Make it three days, enjoy the sites...don't kill yourself driving like a maniac.

When I was a kid me and my family used to drive to Oregon all the time from LA. It would take us four days to get there going up 101 to the Bay then 80 to 5. And that was the fast route. We were driving a 1965 Stepvan, though.

And as far as sights to see- Malibu, the Getty Museum, San Simeon/Hearst Castle, Solvang, Pismo Beach/Avila Beach, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Muir Woods, Point Reyes, Avenue of the Giants are all in CA. Cave Junction in southern Oregon and the whole Oregon Coast on 101 is amazing and Portland is also along the way. Seattle is fun. When I visited Vancouver in the 80s it looked like the rest of the Northwest to me.

It's hard for me to recommend anything in the Bay Area because I've lived here too long and am pretty much over it. In SF check out the Mission, Chinatown, Haight Street, Golden Gate Park, the Golden Gate Bridge, the Presidio...most of the graffiti is in the Mission/SOMA and east parts of the city. Skip San Jose, Oakland is cool if you know people who will show you around. Sacramento is boring but the Capitol is there and there's a river you can look at.

definitely stop at some caves in oregon, i forgot wat they were called, but it was pretty badass.

The sea lion caves by Florence off hwy 101?

sea%20lion%20cave.jpg

---

thequeen, if you're a rope burner, you're obligated to stop by the plaza in Arcata and purchase some "headie nuggets" from a hippy/bum.

---

bump the goonie house in astoria, there's all sorts of goonie related stuff to check out in that city

http://www.movielocationsguide.com/Goonies,_The/filming_locations

la is not in the northwest. im traveling to there from la, smartass.

i was thinking about just booking it up to canada then stopping to see the sights along the way back. there will be 2 of us driving so well be taking turns. only 24hours to vancouver from la, piece of cake. im a driver so i bet i can make it in 20.

i google mapped the route and i think the 101 will be the best bet. def the phc on the way back.

san fran, the sequioa trees, the oregan coast, trying to see the goonie house, seattle, ect. dont know how much longer ill be in socal so im trying to see that part of the country while im there.

any other cool spots to see and def places to eat would be good to know.

The 101 takes a lot longer for you to just meander on up the coast. If you're going for scenery........take it. If you're trying to see the BIG cities instead of the coastal tourist shit........stick to the 5!

However, be advised that I-5 does NOT cut through the Bay Area.

Another can't-miss spot in Southern Oregon is Crater Lake-

800px-Cratel_lake_Wizard_Island.jpg

Even though it's a tourist trap, it's ten times more impressive in person.

And if you're planning to try the weed in Humboldt/Mendo- after all, you will passing through there around the harvest- only buy enough to smoke in one sitting, don't carry anything with you (trust me, you can always get more later). The Highway Patrol is notorious for doing lots of random shakedowns in the fall.

Take the 5.

Portlands small but if you got hookups you'll have fun.

Seattles kool. Hit belltown. Hit broadway and check out capital hill. U-dsitrict which is the 45th st exit off i5.

Check that vancouver thread I seenon here recently for vancouver spots.

Mos def hit the cambie. Granville street. Robson I guess. Hastings is interesting.

If your gonna burst the downtown bubble hit up north van. Check the lonsdale quay.

Metrotown is a huge mall like 20 mins out of the downtown core.

Anything east of there isn't all that tourist interesting unless your like me and wanna check cities out from all angles.

You've got two recommendations for sleep accomodations in Monterey. Well, three actually. You can pay a $175 for a motel 6 that's probably got no vacancy because its the town's always got so many things going on that the hotels are fully booked. Second choice is the city campsite that's $25 a night. Third is sleeping in your car at breakwater, but you gotta clear out before 9 A.M. or cops will cite you. It may be kind of hard to sleep there since there'll probably be 20 harbor seals barking all night.

In monterey there's some good eats. I recommend Bulldog Irish Pub. It's $8 for a burger but the avocado burgers are dope.

ASTORIA

439381919.jpg

goonies.jpg

368 -38th Street,Astoria,

goonies17.jpg

short_circuit.jpg

wmthing.jpg

Kindergarten%20cop.jpg

John Jacob Astor Elementary

573331685.jpg

Astoria was the setting of the 1985 movie The Goonies, which was filmed on location. Other movies filmed in Astoria include Overboard, Short Circuit, The Black Stallion, Kindergarten Cop, Free Willy, Free Willy 2: The Adventure Home, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III, Benji the Hunted, The Ring,[10] The Ring Two, Into the Wild, The Guardian and Cthulhu.

• Like 2

Hahaha Astoria, that looks awesome im gonna have to go there when i get home. Here's another in the same thread

Bodega Bay for fish and chips, an old wooden russian fort, and star location for the Hitchcock movie BIRDS. Tons of camping and tiny old towns with funky hotels along 1. You'll have no problem finding a place to sleep.

birds23.jpgFort_Ross.jpg