So I Bought Myself A New Car Today...

DETO

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh shit, deto gonna get the young trim!

the design is my least favourite of the volvos, but i've never not liked volvo.

how are you liking driving automatic?

it's definitely odd, i seem to always try and turn the car off while i'm still in drive. i also can't seem to help myself but to keep my hand on the shift knob and i keep pressing on my imaginary clutch! but i'm getting better.

anything beats driving around in a new charger (my rental), it felt like i was driving around a fucking boat.

Volvos are pretty well known for being turbo'd. From their semi trucks to their cars. I don't know what they offer turbo these days though. I know there is a kind of cult following of enthusiasts who boost the fuck out of them, mostly older ones. I'd rock an older Volvo with an upgrade turbo but I don't like wrenching on European cars, I like my Japanese cars. Actually, I had told myself and my friends that the next thing I get to build up was going to be something like an older Volvo wagon so I could keep a much lower profile. Driving a turbo 240SX gets irritating when you are constantly getting approached with questions about what motor is in it, what turbo, etc, am I selling it, why I should have done this or done this and not that, etc. Its like the new Civic. Ive had it since 06 and kind of knew what I was getting myself into in that respect, but Im still glad I got it.

Sell it and buy a 300zx. Build that up. Keep it stock on the outside cuz there already beautiful cars.

300zx=dream car status

• Like 1

^^^^^^^Exactly. Your GIRLFRIEND. Thumbs down son. That shit looks mad hipster to me. I can't find anything remotely masculine about that car. Gays, hipsters, and chicks probably make up 90% ownership in that model. The interior is real nice tho.....

.....so you only fail 90%. Or....just listen to the rest of the hipsters commenting how sweet it is. Maybe I'm wrong. But just felt posting an honest comment, even tho it sounds I'm just hatin' to hate. Your car blows.

truth

I'm driving in a new car too. I went with a Silver '10 Prius. If I could have afforded it I would have gone with the IV with tech package, it was only like 12K more than the base model here in the US. I don't really follow new cars, but it seems like they brought the future stuff that they've been giving lip service too for about 10 years. On the highway, that thing drives itself practically. Except maybe the parallel park assist, they have that, no? Someday however I hope I can upgrade with those LED headlights/fog lamps they look hot. Why is a fog light a lamp, and a headlight a light?

I was just offered a job (technically being rehired at a higher pay rate) and I'm looking to get a new vehicle - I work as a field representative, so driving is a big part of the workday, and my mileage reimbursement should pay for a car.

I'm looking at the Nissan Versa hatchback, Nissan Sentra, Toyota Corolla, and Mazda3 (hatch preferably). I have a 1993 Acura Legend with 192,000 on the clock, and it will be getting a new alternator. Needs a lot of work, too, but I'm dying to get rid of the thing.

Ferris Bueller, go buy yourself a Jetta TDI.

you will have comfortable ride, get amazing gas mileage, have room for bags/luggage/whatever else you put in the trunk, and have room for 3 more adults to fit comfortably.

at the very least test drive it against the Versa and 3 hatchbacks you mentioned, ride quality will be worlds apart.

fuck, I should sell VW's.

I have a price limit, and unfortunately a TDI is more than I'd want to spend. I'm looking at a sticker price of no more than $12,000 at this point. I was considering pre-owned certified VWs, but the 2-year/24,000mi warranty does me no good since I'll be putting on close to 24,000 miles a year. And my mother has a VW Cabriolet, and the auto transmission has been going haywire lately.

New Corolla's are super small I wouldn't rec unless you are under 5'10, or have a short torso, and never plan on having an adult in the back seat. I like the FIT, but doesn't come stock with traction control, only with the navigation package.

I heard the Versa is nice and spacious, it lacks traction control however. Scions suck. Focus I haven't checked out too well. The Fusion looks pretty spacious and comes with trac control, but again I didn't try it. The Kia Forte is pretty nice, I got in it, it had good space, gets great gas miles, and comes stock with traction control, has a huge trunk, and that chocolate brown color is hot.

My wife is one of those people who likes lots of room, she got in, adjusted the seat, and her head was uncomfortably close to the ceiling, and I couldn't fit my arm behind her seat and the back seat cushion. I don't know what the S means, I was checking out the base model.

And I live in Minnesota, where the temperature can drop to -30F in the morning, and I'm not to keen about a diesel in those conditions.

big deal, I live in Alberta where it drops to -40C and the diesel still runs fine

edit: didn't mean to sound like a cocksucker.

I'm an obvious VW fanboy, but if its out of your price range its out of your price range. and I wouldn't recommend a preowned VW, or anything preowned for that matter ... you never know what the previous owners driving habits were like.

for your budget I would look at the Hyundai's and that Kia Forte (which is actually pretty loaded up if you don't mind the Kia badge on the front of your car...) - or the ford focus, ford has come a long way in the last few years in terms of product quality and reliability.

Haha, thanks for catching yourself there. I didn't know you lived in Alberta.

I was looking at the Ford Focus (the hatches). My mother keeps telling me about Kia. They are very affordable, and they seem to be building a good reputation over the last several years. Same thing with Hyundai - I know a person who has a Santa Fe, and loves it. My roommate just bought an Azera a couple months ago, and it seems to be a great car.