The BMX Thread

R@ndomH3ro

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because 29ers make the rootiest trails feel like asphalt. imagine what they make asphalt feel like.

and yea, okay.

what if i need to traverse rocky roads with possible regions of glass shards. I still don't get a mountain bike? bmx is the way to go? bmxs are equipped to handle all terrain?

Man, bmx is like skateboards. Really not ment to ride around like a bike. I ride my 20" everyday all over the place cause I really like bmx and the way it feels. I also bunny hop over everything I see and try tricks, so I always leave super early to make up the time.

But if you are just going to use it to commute or whatever I think that getting a bmx is a wrong choice. Unless you want to get super strong cause you will have to pedal like a mother to get anywhere.

Flatland bikes are even worse to get unless you are a midget that likes 18" top tubes (even though most flatlands are those nice chrome jobs with the tight mag wheels)

Race bikes arent really worth it unless you are a bmx racer those high gearings make for hard pedaling but make you super fast on the sprint.

Cruisers are the same...they are made to race and other cruisers that they make now a days are really shitty versions of single speed bikes, and are mostly made for novelty.

thanks for the heads up

Yeah man, if where you are going is more then 5 miles away. I would recommend getting a regular bike.

I ride EVERYWHERE on my bmx. I also have a slammed seat so bend your mind around that one!

My knees sometimes hurt, but I still ride cause I love my bmx. only bike i know that I also can go anywhere on...curbs/kids/small creatures in the way, hop over em. Raining? hop on the train, my bike is so small i just lean it up and it doesnt get in anyones way.

If you like bmx a lot then get one, they are a really versitile bike and you can go ANYWHERE on it cause of the small size. My brother in law even has a vid of this bike messenger riding a 20 inch. Dude was going places that no other messanger can go.

BMX bikes rule!

I just changed my set up a little i had the whole set up but replaced the handlebars with the eastern nitrous bars and bout to get new forks dont know what ones to get though any reccomendations? Flatland

I dont know about flatland bikes and what is hot right now. But, are you running a front brake?

I personnaly like Odyssey forks (I got classic dirt on my bike) but the Flat or Directors forks might be for you

Directors dont have mounts for front brakes though so the Flat might be good for you. The thing I like about them is that they already come with a headset race so you dont have to get one

http://www.danscomp.com/353244.php?cat=PARTS

They sell them on Dan's Comp for 130

yeah man I'm trying to get a bike to go from where I'm to krome avenue. you remember where thats at? Its a hell of a trek, I think I'm better off getting a mountain bike.

Probably, 20inchers now a days come with super small gearing and are not really efficent for going long distances. Althought you can get one with big gearing on it, it going to be hard to find parts because right now everyone is buying and selling what is "trendy" now a days.

But like I said I ride everywhere on mine. I rode like 17 miles a couple of days ago standing up on my little bike, but that takes YEARS of riding bmx to get that comfortable to ride everywhere on it.

Maybe you can get a Cruiser...but I would recommend either getting an oldschool race cruiser or building one yourself. The cruisers they are coming out with now a days are novelty bikes that look and have really shitty components.

SE I think still only makes the best complete cruiser. They are a company built on race bmx so they dont skimp on parts like others do.

That 26" SE is currently the best thing going I've seen for the money ($750). sneak, keep in mind I'm an ex-messenger in the market for a basket bike- it's only going to be ridden on street carrying weight and everything about it (parts, geometry) seems right for the job. Most of the other prebuilt 26" SS bikes I've seen are super slammed huck bikes or slightly modified dual slalom rigs...that's fine if that's what you're after but they wouldn't function well as work bikes.

I've considered getting a $200 Dyno beach cruiser and slapping a basket on that, but the parts on them are so shitty that the basket would outlast the bike and there's really no point in that.

Yeah SE is the only company that makes good cruisers. I was just joking on the 29er, but you are a big dude. Really that 29er is a novelty bike that SE makes. I really dont see anyone riding it, why when you probably get a better bike made by someone that is more into those types of bikes.

BMX companies need to stick to BMX

But FBM does make an awesome track bike frame that is solid as hell.

I doubt that, but thanks for saying so. I'm just stubborn and I'm nowhere near as fast as I used to be...but I still have the bike handling skills down, that shit never goes away.

Speaking of which, why don't you get a cross bike? With all the training and conditioning you've had along with the off road experience, you'd probably kick ass at cross. It's fun, too.

I'd say if you absolutely have to have a BMX bike, but are too big or whatever to ride a 20", get a 24" cruiser. I used to have a General Lee, I thought it was great. I just might try to get another one or something similar. DK started making some 26" bikes that are basically single gear mountain bikes with a freewheel. I could fuck with one of those. Now I have an old beater 14 speed road bike. At first it was awkward as shit, now it carries my fat ass along and up hills at a brisk pace. Its nice to have gears, I got rid of those uncomfortable clipless pedals that had about as much surface area as a large matchbook and put some BMX platform pedals on it. And it will never have a fixed conversion, ever.

You can easily bunny hop a cross bike. I've seen guys clear 8" obstacles on the course, it's pretty cool....you just need the right wheels.

Cross is ridiculously fun to ride and watch in its own way. I think you'd be good at it...you should go check out some races when the season starts, I'm sure they have them where you live.

I'd say if you absolutely have to have a BMX bike, but are too big or whatever to ride a 20", get a 24" cruiser. I used to have a General Lee, I thought it was great. I just might try to get another one or something similar. Now I have an old beater 14 speed road bike. At first it was awkward as shit, now it carries my fat ass along and up hills at a brisk pace. Its nice to have gears, I got rid of those uncomfortable clipless pedals that had about as much surface area as a large matchbook and put some BMX platform pedals on it. And it will never have a fixed conversion, ever.

fuck that I got a 20" and I am 5'8" my brother at 6'3" also rides a 20.

I also ride with a slammed seat, you just need to man up