How well do you get along with your family?

Richard Dunn

I used to beef with my parents until I moved out at 18, then it all got better. My Mom is still a crazy bitch, but she also loves me more than anyone alive. My Dad is a cool ass muthafucka, and the definition of what a man should be. My older sister and I have a pretty shitty relationship these days over money she owes me, but she can still be hilarious and fun sometimes, so we talk every few weeks maybe. My older brother recently broke up with his girl and moved back into my parent's crib, so he's been around and hitting bars and whatnot lately. He's cool as fuck, we get along good. I see my younger sister, brother in law, and niece pretty much every day for one reason or another, and it's all love there.

As far as extended family goes, it's whatever. The only one I truely love is my Grandma on my Mom's side, but she lives in Virginia so I rarely see her. She's my only living Grandparent left (unless you count the woman my Grandpa was married to for 40ish years before he died). I have a shit load of aunts, uncles, and cousins but I don't really talk to any of them unless I happen to encounter them in the wild ha

see thats whaT im sayin

everyone beefs with their parents as a youngun, but if your like 20 and still fighting with your parents for years over old shit you really need to move on and get over it. Unless they raped you or somethinfg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS my dad didnt even call me on my birthday 2 weeks ago but im not like "OMG FUCK MY POPS ONER RAGEEE ARRR I hATE THEM EMO SO SADD"

you just deal with it... Im still cool with him, he just has issues and is distant/

My mom is awesome and is an inspiration, being a single mother aand accomplishing so much with a little shit like me in the house

My step-dad is a fag and we use to get in fist fights, but what Imma keep that attitude for like 10 years? I got over it and laugh at the gay shit he does and badmouth him behind his back to other relatives.

I have a whole gang of cousins in different states that i see every couple years and thats awesome too... im actually the distant cousin... but i still stay in touch. Not being cool with your family is something thats really corny i notice a lot of white people do for no really good reason

I'm an only child, so I get along with my parents really well.

my mom is sort of estranged from her whole side of the family. lots of alcoholism and abuse issues going on there (not with her, but that side of the family is rife with it). I've only ever seen any of them once, when I was 12 she took me out east to see them when her mom was dying.

my dad was the youngest of 3. grew up with a mild learning disability in a poor neighborhood in the 50s (learning disability? no such thing, you're just lazy! now come up here so I can crack you on the knuckles with my ruler!) so that kind of fucked him over. he's smart and well read, just never thrived in a school environment. he's the black sheep of the family, and that continues to this day. the rest of the family is nice enough, but I feel like I'm talking to strangers whenever I see them. they are assholes in the sense that they've all fled to other parts of the country leaving my parents to more or less take care of our grandmother, who is finally starting to show signs that her Alzheimers is getting too bad to live on her own.

I see alot of my parents in me, good and bad. its eerie how many similarities I can draw sometimes. I'm just thankful I wasn't raised in such a boring environment as my cousins.

Damn... Give or take a few parts that describes exactly what I would have written.

I'd say I get along fairly well with my family overall.

My brother and I get along really well, like twins, but I'm five years older then him. I have another brother who's ten years younger than me, we get along but have very little to talk about. He usually comes to me for advice on when he gets stuck building something and we'll figure it out together. He's really smart and is constantly building things like rockets and rubber band powered helicopters. My sister and I don't get along at all. 90% of the time, when she opens her mouth I want to punch her in the throat.

I have a really weird relationship with my parents. I get along with my parents but cant tell them anything in confidence. My parents are both blabbermouths. So basically they know nothing of significance about me. One summer I dated a girl for a few months and they didn't even know, they probably still don't. My mother makes up lies about me to tell her friends, which weirds me out. My dad and I don't talk much. I think he thinks I hate him, which isn't true.

I should have gone out of state for college. :/

^I don't really talk about things like relationships or anything like that with my parents...is that weird?

Me and my girl were broken up for a few months and my parents never had any clue. Just not really the kind of thing I discuss with them

Idk, most of my friends talk about that kind of stuff on some level. But really I don't talk anything of significance with them.

I use to but dont anymore becuse of my Dad.

He to this day still ask me about some bitch I dated in 9th grade and brought to the house one time. Those days of telling my parents shit about my relationships are long and gone

i don't talk to my dad, he has his own new family with kids and his little house in the suburbs with the green lawn and hte pool in the back and the typical american dream ( he's from the heights and moved out to new jeruz).. i lvie with my mom and her boy friend/i also share a room in a house with my brother who is 26 who i recently became close with around 3 years ago (i'm 17, didnt start chilling til i started blazing and became more mature).

see thats whaT im sayin

everyone beefs with their parents as a youngun, but if your like 20 and still fighting with your parents for years over old shit you really need to move on and get over it. Unless they raped you or somethinfg

Yeah, that was pretty much what I told my dad. I said I couldn't stress off of past beef right now since I needed to talk to him about some more pressing matters having to do with my health.

Hopefully he'll play ball and I won't get sidetracked arguing about that one time when I was 17 and I _____________ and how it really pissed him off. It's funny, when I look at the bigger picture the shit he brings up seems laughable to me...it's stuff I would have been pissed off about for a week then forgotten about. But he doesn't forget.

My mother, like a lot of your mothers is quite the nut job. She beat me pretty badly at least twice a week most of my youth just venting her own shit. To this day she admits to none of it.

She also just told me every thing i did was wrong and put all her marital issues with my father on my shoulders. She'd do shit like never let my father see the school i was going to. And when she got a job, made me keep it a secret from him.

My father is a nice guy but just scared shitless of everything. He just buries his head in the sand. He can't do anything but make small talk. Like if I say "I'm not having a good time right now dad...I don't have a job and haven't left my room in about two weeks because I'm too anxious" he'll say "anyway...there are some letters over here at our house for you. and if you like I'll sort out your computer for you". That's a conversation I've had with him more or less word for word.

I haven't talked to either of them for several years now.

I hate to sound like a bitter teenager but its frustrating having parents who both act like fucking babies. I know I'm not alone in that situation.

My family situation is pretty good, but its normal for children to be embarrassed by their parents, and its normal for parents to be disappointed by their children.

My dad annoys the fuck out of me when he's drunk and/or high and i get nagged constantly by my mum. I think thats all pretty normal.

Fuck a brother, i get along with that dude rarely these days.

My mom was schizophrenic but she was cool as hell. She only got sideways on me about 4-5 times during my childhood that I can remember...I would just go stay with my grandparents when shit got hairy for her, then when I came home everything would be smoothed out.

I know it sounds weird but you know...when you're a kid you don't really think about it too much. Sure, you notice how other families operate and MAYBE once in a while contemplate about how the grass is greener on the other side, but I would have never given up on my mom.

My stepdad burned hot and cold. He was either chill or freaking out. Got my ass beat by him more than a few times. I don't miss the guy nor do I hate him, I just have nothing to do with him. At all. About ten years ago my sister told me he got off drugs and got on a Jesus kick. I asked her "What's the difference?" and we had a good laugh about that.

In 2003 I guess he wanted to talk to me/apologize/whatever so he told her to tell me that he wanted to speak to me...I told her to NOT give him my number, which she promptly did anyway pulling the "I'm older, I know better" card. I told her to fuck off with that shit and haven't spoken to her since. Then again, I'm a slacker and don't know how to reach her, but at the time she pissed me off and that was grounds to not speak to her for a while.

We didn't grow up together or anything. She popped back into our (me and my mom) lives a year before my mom died, so I was ten or so. Promptly raised a bunch of hell, then right before our mom went into the hospital for the last time she took off to Arizona and didn't come back to LA till after the funeral. Classy.

So that's the rest of the story. Occasionally I'm surprised I didn't turn out to be an ax murderer...most people I know that have dealt with less turned out way worse.

i dont get along with them much.

my pops is cool hes taught me alot- a the quiet type whos been burnt out on women.

my mom is bipolar as fuck so i feel like i'm walking on eggshells with her all the time. im currently not speaking to her - she wouldnt cosign some loans for me to go to college ,and shes the reason i dont qualify for any grants/scholarships. her reasoning- join the military?wtf and my sister and i are 8 years apart(can we say accident child?) shes also really bipolar and pops a bunch of pills, while i raise her little one.

moving several hundred miles away from them improved whatever relations we have though.

I am 27 and live with my parents, and am not ashamed of it at all. I pretty much stopped living with them when I was 13, and from then till about 20ish, I was in and out of group homes, shelters, the streets and jail. We started to get along in my early 20's, mostly because I stopped being a self centered drug addict asshole and got my shit together somewhat. A few years ago I moved to another state and when I moved back they let me stay with them untill I got a job and saved some money. That turned into me living with them rent free on the condition I pay for my school, and in the process we reconnected, I apologized for alot of things and now we get along great. They like me living with them, and I like being around them. Its kind of like we are making up for lost time. Unfortunately, times are tough and they are selling this house and moving into a much smaller one. I feel I should add that ever since I found out they have been having financial troubles, I have been giving them all the extra money I can afford. They told me I can still live with them, but I don't want to impose and will enjoy having my own space again. I am really glad for the last few years though, life is short and I would hate for my family to pass away without having peace.

This thread reminds me of how I have been thinking about how this society judges you for living with your family after a certain age. My friends and coworkers are always giving me shit for living with my parents. I can understand if some one is 30, no job, on the internet or playing video games all day, but shit, I work full time and go to school, and like I stated, I have been living with my parents recently pretty much out of neccesity, on their part. I've noticed the mentality of getting out on your own alot more prevalent in my friends who come from suburban white families, as opposed to my friends in the hood that have multiple generations living under one roof, along with aunts, uncles and cousins. I know that is how alot of other cultures live as well. Sometimes I think it might be better that way. That is a whole other discussion though. Anyways, I'm done ranting.

i got kicked out when i was 15 then me and my girl split when i was 22 so i stayed with my mom for 2 weeks untill i could get another pad, then the cops kicked the door in over graffiti and trashed her house and took all her computers. shes still burnt on me 5 years later. aint that a B! hahaha