jazz.

twinky the kid

i really like jazz.

not contemporary jazz or bossa nova shit.

more of the slow tempo gritty sounding stuff.

ive been listening to jazz on and off for a few years.

for some reason i never want to know the names of any artists or song names.

it just seems better that way.

(even though lately i have been remembering a few names and songs.)

so what about you fools?

ever take a break from flushing fetuses and pushin weight music to kick back and take it wasy on some moody jazz ish?

discuss.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I'm a huge Jazz fan. Have been for years. I listen more to the early, early shit. Hotjass, Ragtime, Hot and Sweet Jazz, Early big band/swing, early Tin Pan Alley and novelty music. I'm all about it. I'm hugely into Gypsy Jazz.

Django is the fucking man.

Louis Armstrong, Original Dixieland Band, King Oliver, Bessie Smith, Jelly Roll, Fletcher Henderson,

Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Art Tatum, Chick Webb, Bix Beiderbecke, Annete Hanshaw, Artie Shaw, Billie Holiday, Chet Baker, Dinah Washington, Dizzie Gillespe, Ella Fitzgerald, Gene Krupa, Glenn Miller, Josephine Baker, Louis Prima, Oscar Peterson, Scott Joplin, Sten Getz, Tommy Dorsey.....

I also listen to allot of newer acts that play these styles well.

Janet Klein, Bernadette Seacrest, Stolen Sweets, Shit, Squirrel Nut Zippers got lumped into that whole swing revival back in the mid nineties, but they are actually closer to Django's gypsy jazz than anything, and they are a truly great band, especially the first three albums.

Also Leon Redbone, and a huge amonut of Tom Waits catalogue skirts one or more of these styles at the same time.

KOH/Balls deep in old music.

i like alot of jazzy shit...but its kinda like, jazz meets folk. i like louis jordan,odetta,dinah washington,ella fitz,count basie,clare fader,billie holiday,benny goodman,lavern baker,martin sexton,stacy kent,sun ra,peggy lee,nina simone...

but during traffic hour, for reasons unknown, jazz kinda pisses me off.

What are the Squirrel Nut Zippers doing these days? They were one of my favorite bands for a while then they just fell off the map. Bernadette Seacreast is amazing too, I haven't heard much from her but she's great.

I do like me some jazz. I'm definitely into jazz funk and fusion, one of the holdovers from my DJing days. The "Blue Break Beats" compilations on Blue Note are a good starting point. Dave Brubeck, Grant Green, Bobbi Humphries, Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, McCoy Tyner, Django, Stanley Clarke...I can go on forever.

For a couple of years I was really into Swedish jazz. For some reason I can't think of anything specific right now but I was buying whatever I could find (which wasn't much) for a while. Also, I still like library music (commercial and theme music from Europe and the UK) a lot.

What are the Squirrel Nut Zippers doing these days? They were one of my favorite bands for a while then they just fell off the map. Bernadette Seacreast is amazing too, I haven't heard much from her but she's great.

I do like me some jazz. I'm definitely into jazz funk and fusion, one of the holdovers from my DJing days. The "Blue Break Beats" compilations on Blue Note are a good starting point. Dave Brubeck, Grant Green, Bobbi Humphries, Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, McCoy Tyner, Django, Stanley Clarke...I can go on forever.

For a couple of years I was really into Swedish jazz. For some reason I can't think of anything specific right now but I was buying whatever I could find (which wasn't much) for a while. Also, I still like library music (commercial and theme music from Europe and the UK) a lot.

SNZ are back together and touring.