Show us your......................................Harvest!

absolute.despair

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome thread. We moved back to my hometown 2 years ago and our place had a fully decrepit strip garden around the back yard... pretty much all grass and rocks. Spent last year building the soil and growing what would take. Things started for real this year. This is about a month ago:

3666021809_d5f23ff452_b.jpg

Left to right: sunflower, golden tomatoes, zucchini, rainbow chard, various lettuces, carrots, grape tomatoes, garlic, strawberries, varigated sage, lavender, peppermint, chive, parsley, oregano, thyme, basil, bell peppers (lilac & red sweets in front). all 100% organic & from seed.

we've also got another grape tomato and green beans in containers... didn't get a flick.

3608291256_3f74c41346.jpg

first strawberry of the season... birds got most of the rest, fuckers.

3634959683_6c974834f6.jpg

anyone with a minute of investment in growing your own stuff should hook up a composter, either make one or buy one because it will undoubtedly help your soil.

things are going nuts now that it's regularly over 70 degress... cucumbers, some heirloom tomatoes, marigold (tasty on salads), and pumpkins are all in there now too. I'll have a garden wherever I go forever.

nice work carwreck... never had much luck with strawberries, fuckin squirrels were always getting to them before they even had a chance... watch that peppermint, it'll take over the yard if you don't. i had some choke out some sage and thyme a few years back, now I just do mint in conatiners...

yeah, the mint was everywhere when we first got here... when we tilled we took serious pains to pull as many of the runners as we could. it's under control now but i've read you can container it and then bury the container to keep it in check.

update: pulled the strawberries because they weren't producing anything but birdfood...

dscf1979i.jpg

zuccini & white eggplant

dscf1980u.jpg

zinnia

some pics from 2008^

here are some pics from the stuff i started from seed

dscf2126.jpg

dscf2127.jpg

dscf2128w.jpg

i'll have to take some recent pictures. no harvest to show of yet. midwest sucks for growing things outdoors

Anyone know of any seed companies that aren't linked to Monsanto? Someone told me that 99% of the companies out there are owned/controlled by them. I've been saving seeds from heirlooms that I pick up at the farmers market, but I don't think I'll have enough for planting next year.

seedsavers

baker creek (dude's SERIOUS business)

http://www.seedsofchange.com/ (my favorite)

a little easier, here's a (surely incomplete) list of companies either owned by monsanto or seminis (who was just bought out):

* Territorial Seeds

* Totally Tomato

* Vermont Bean Seed Co.

* Burpee

* Cook’s Garden

* Johnny’s Seeds

* Earl May Seed

* Gardens Alive

* Lindenberg Seeds

* Mountain Valley Seed

* Park Seed

* T&T Seeds

* Tomato Growers Supply

* Willhite Seed Co.

* Nichol’s

* Rupp

* Osborne

* Snow

* Stokes

* Jungs

* R.H. Shumway

* The Vermont Bean Seed Company

* Seeds for the World

* Seymour’s Selected Seeds

* HPS

* Roots and Rhizomes

* McClure and Zimmerman Quality Bulb Brokers

* Spring Hill Nurseries

* Breck’s Bulbs

* Audubon Workshop

* Flower of the Month Club

* Wayside Gardens

* Park Bulbs

* Park’s Countryside Garden

i remember looking up burpee and this is what i found

Burpee - Monsanto Rumors Laid to Rest

by Kelly Leahy

Mar 25th 2009 @ 12:47PM

gdburpee.jpg

It's that time of year when gardener's start digging up the earth and planting seeds. Burpee is one of the most well know seed suppliers in the United States. Their seeds are carried at home improvement giants like Home Depot and Lowes where one-stop shoppers can get all of their gardening supplies. Their wares are so prolific that a few have made their way into my garden. Because of this I was immediately taken aback when I started reading on gardening forums that Burpee was owned by GMO giant, Monsanto.

Monsanto has been acused of many things from trying to be the single global supplier of seeds to using humans as lab rats by feeding us genetically modified food (read about GMOs here and here). I am not a purist but I try to avoid genetically modified seeds the best that I can and when I read the rumors about Burpee, some red flags started to fly. I swore off the brand not only for the plants but also because I didn't want to be putting money into Monsanto's pockets wich purchases of gardening accessories.

Well, it turns out that Burpee IS NOT owned by Monsanto. In 2005 Monsanto bought vegetable seed company, Seminis Inc. who supplies some seeds to Burpee. This does little to asauge any fears about food safety as technically Monsanto does supply product to Burpee (even many organic seeds are tinted with GMOs). However, it's important to point out that Burpee is privately owned and operated by third generation seedsman, George Ball Jr. and I can buy peat pots without guilt.

If you are a faithful Burpee customer and have concerns about GMOs, tell them. However, it's good to know that there are already seed companies out there like Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds who are 100% commited to providing GMO-free seeds.

http://www.greendaily.com/2009/03/25/burpee-monsanto-rumors-laid-to-rest/

Monsanto, Seminis and Burpee

Posted by

Angela England

Jan 11, 2007

I recently recieved an email memo stating that Seminis Inc. was purchasing the familiar W. Atlee Burpee seed company. It also said Seminis was owned by Monsanto and so Burpee would now be part of the Monsanto Corporation. It startled me; I hadn't read anything else about Burpee selling so I did some research to verify.

The second part of the memo was easy enough to verify. A press release on the Seminis website from 1-24-05 confirms that Monsanto did acquire Seminis for 1.4 billion dollars, however the rest of the memo circulating about was harder to find information for. I put a call in to Seminis Inc to find out the truth.

A spokeperson for Seminis, Mica Veihman spoke with me this morning and answered all my questions. Veihman said Seminis has "no intent to purchase Burpee" and this supposed email message was a complete rumor.

Burpee is a dealer of Seminis garden products which is probably how this rumor originated. They have been a customer of Seminis for over 20 years. Other familiar seed catalog companies that purchase from Seminis are Jung Seed, Johnny's Selected Seeds, and Park Seed. A full list of current distributors is available here.

According to the Burpee website the company is, "owned and operated by George Ball Jr. - a passionate plantsman and third generation seedsman".

Rumors can grow as rampant as weeds in the gardening community.

IMG_1532.jpg.65a26f11eab03f73a8a10cdcd9ab0522.jpg

I will take a photo of the tomatos we got a growin.

I tried to get some jalepenos and jabenero, but I started too early in the season and I think they are stunted.

We already had peas and lettuce.

had some cabbage goin.

My girl is tryin to make some sauerkraut out of it.