THE TRAVEL ADVICE SUPER-DUPER THREAD

KILZ FILLZ

Thanks for that Lugr. Manado and Komodo Island do sound sick, and if I get skunked on the diving I can still surf. Also looking into Sipadan in Malaysia, meant to be sick too, no surfing there but. You ever been to India or Sri Lanka? Some sites say Sri Lanka is shit for diving from like May to November then other sites say there is some world class diving to do year round? Fuck knows what to believe

• 2 months later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

just booked w delta but of anyone has experience w virgin lemme know how iot went. maybe next time.

in other news, gonna try to catch a yankees game and a sox game while gone.

Anyone been to Columbia? My girlfriend and I would like to plan a trip there this spring. We're thinking 3 days in Bogota and 4 days in Cartagena. My only concern is that I'm a big ass gringo that will definitely stand out in a crowd. We would fly to both destinations and not venture out of the cities.

Any recommendations? should I be concerned about getting snatched up and held for ransom by narco terrorists? or blown up while dining at an outdoor cafe?

Anyone been to Columbia? My girlfriend and I would like to plan a trip there this spring. We're thinking 3 days in Bogota and 4 days in Cartagena. My only concern is that I'm a big ass gringo that will definitely stand out in a crowd. We would fly to both destinations and not venture out of the cities.

Any recommendations? should I be concerned about getting snatched up and held for ransom by narco terrorists? or blown up while dining at an outdoor cafe?

My buddies parents used to live in Bogota and he would go down to visit often. He said it was a really fun place. He is an Asian American that looks Mexican but told me he was still pretty cautious when going out at night. Mainly just being aware of his surroundings, not getting to friendly with randoms on the street, or being a loud obnoxious American. Also, pretty much some of the most beautiful women in the world and plenty of this firewater:

Aguardiente.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aguardiente#Colombia

That's all I got...

virgin is good.

i've heard that columbia is fucking amazing.

i keep seeing it on 'hot travel spots to watch' type lists.

i wouldn't worry too much about crime if you are aware of your surroundings. you pegged yourself as a gringo so i get the feeling you'll know what, and what not to do.

there is not much street violence in columbia that i'm aware of.. it is the spot for kidnappings as you mention but you'll probably be fine

July 22, 2011

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the dangers of travel to Colombia. Security in Colombia has improved significantly in recent years, including in tourist and business travel destinations like Cartagena and Bogota, but violence by narco-terrorist groups continues to affect some rural areas and large cities. This updates and replaces the Travel Warning for Colombia issued November 10, 2010 to update information on recent security incidents and terrorist activity.

Terrorist activity remains a threat throughout the country. On August 12, 2010, a car bomb exploded outside the Caracol radio station in Bogota, injuring seven people. On October 21, 2010, Colombian authorities foiled another car bomb attack directed at the National Administrative Center in Bogota. On June 16, 2011, a satchel bomb exploded at a local monument in uptown Bogota, resulting in some damage to adjoining buildings, but no fatalities or injuries. Small towns and rural areas of Colombia can still be extremely dangerous due to the presence of narco-terrorists. While the Embassy possesses no information concerning specific and credible threats against U.S. citizens in Colombia, we strongly encourage you to exercise caution and remain vigilant.

The incidence of kidnapping in Colombia has diminished significantly from its peak at the beginning of this decade.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5531.html

the US state dept is a surprisingly good, and frank resource for this shit

they are not your mother; they will not say DO NOT GO, they'll just tell you the information you need.

you should see the advisory for Jamaica haha

i haven't been to morocco either but a good buddy of mine went.

he was a little disconcerted by being such an ethnic minority.

that shit doesn't bug me at all though

seems like a beautiful place, i'd like to get there eventually.

we went to egypt a few years ago, absolutely loved it.

I'll be in Montego Bay at the end of the month.

advice? holla atcha mod

Has any one been to Morocco?

I'm thinking of a week trip flying into Marrakesh, then making my way up to Fez and flying out from there.

Cheers.

It is kind of a thing for local men to want to hook up a traveler with their first whore, just be aware of that.

If you are traveling with a girl tell everyone you are married. If you do not you will have a tag a long trying to win over the woman at any cost.

Learn to say hello, thank you and no thank you in Arabic.

Be super careful about what you eat and drink. The food poisoning and bugs in the water are rampant.

Wear long pants.

Drink lots of tea.

I would be into seeing some pictures.

I have been to Fez but not Marrakesh. The city is split into the new and the old, you can buy booze in a couple stores in the new city but it needs to be on black market if you buy it in the old city.

If you venture out into the city after dark watch your step.

Hash is available but do not be a dumb shit about it.

Let me know if you have any other questions that I may be able to answer, I spent about 8 weeks there back around 1999.

• Like 1

Cheers Morton.

I'd most likely be going solo, i'll keep in mind the whore selling.

I was under the impression that although it's a muslamic country the spoke French?

Would you suggest I organise a tour or backpack it?

Not sure when you went but I'm aiming for mid-feb which is nice and warm but not unbearable.

For whatever reason I am assuming that you are a young man. Since you are traveling alone I am going to predict that you run into either a young woman traveling alone or a pair of young women traveling alone. Once you have made acquaintance she or they will ask your company on travels as they may be a little overwhelmed. You will agree because it is often nice to encounter such things and then you will need to tell everyone you are married.

Everybody speaks french for the most part but you will need to say the basics in Arabic to show respect and to get around. Saying "No Thank You" (La Shukran) in Arabic will come in really handy with pesky people.

Them fools speak like five different languages as a standard startign with their tribal arabic, then traditional arabic, then french, then spanish or english, then german or japanese.

Be prepared to answer some redic questions about emigration to whatever country you are from.

I would backpack unless you find a tour that you really identify with. I remember the groups coming into Fez when I was there, it seemed much more like they were spectators than travelers or even tourists.

I went late last summer. Went to the Kazantip festival which was awesome, it's located on the Black Sea in the Crimea peninsula.

If you make down there it's the Ukrainian and Russian summer holiday get away so it can be busy. Expect no one to speak english to you.

Try and get to Balaklava (has an awesome disused sub-terrian sub marine base from the cold war) or Yalta.

We spent a few nights in Kiev as well which was cool and also made our way to Chernobyl (a must do). Kiev was totally different to the rest of the Ukraine and expect to pay 'European' prices on everything.

We got around the Crimea by hiring a driver which worked out to be pretty cheap between us. I couldn't give you any advise on hitch hiking though. The roads are pretty sketchy and be prepared to be in a car with no set belts traveling at 160km/h on dubious roads.

Have fun and safe travels.

I went late last summer. Went to the Kazantip festival which was awesome, it's located on the Black Sea in the Crimea peninsula.

If you make down there it's the Ukrainian and Russian summer holiday get away so it can be busy. Expect no one to speak english to you.

Try and get to Balaklava (has an awesome disused sub-terrian sub marine base from the cold war) or Yalta.

We spent a few nights in Kiev as well which was cool and also made our way to Chernobyl (a must do). Kiev was totally different to the rest of the Ukraine and expect to pay 'European' prices on everything.

We got around the Crimea by hiring a driver which worked out to be pretty cheap between us. I couldn't give you any advise on hitch hiking though. The roads are pretty sketchy and be prepared to be in a car with no set belts traveling at 160km/h on dubious roads.

Have fun and safe travels.

Haha as it happens Kazantip was exactly where I was planning on ending up. A quick question, is it really as insane as I've been lead to believe?

What you said about hiring a driver, could you elaborate on how you did that and how much it cost?

Thanks for the info man!

• 3 months later...

this thread should pop off a lot more since i'm traveling cross country to portlandia in september. i unlike kir(completely and utterly) have a permanent destination but no real time frame...

in search of vast, cool, or interesting routes/blogs about routes/sites having to do with etc, etc......props issued to any solid directional advice.

Any of you chunts ever been to Cambodia?

I gots my ticket, also thinking of ducking into Laos or Vietnam if time permits.

Any tips, anything I should know?

Specifically good/bad food to know about?

Can police shoot at you if they catch you painting?

etc etc

Never been to any of those places myself,

but my pops helped destroy vietnam in the 70's and he liked it then, so now must be pretty sweet now that Pol Pot and those commie farmer retards are dead.

My boy said an O of weed in Cambodia is like $20.

If thats true hook your Uncle Cunt up on some American Gangster shit.

Sorry Cuntos, I don't smoke weeds no more, also I live in convict Island so unless ya wanna pay my airfare I ain't gonna be stateside for a while again. Any idea on prices of other things?

Lugs=find thread, post or pm me, like a boss

^thanks for that dude. Awesome thread too, if I wasn't so slack I'd make one of my own of some of my past adventures. Growing up in Melburn I've learnt to really fukn dispise heroin and what it does to people. Its taken a few of my friends from me and some of Melbs finest writers are either dead or completely useless due to getting involved with that shit.

My way

Cambodia is amazing was there earlier this year, what you want to know??

Cycle your way around the temples of Angkor if your going to siem reap so much better a than tuk tuk get a three day pass or more if you have the time see all the little temples on the way between the main ones, where its only you there. also plan your day to avoid the main tour groups, go at the times they aint in the main ones.

Also hit sihanoukville laid back beach bars BEER IS 50c ALLLLL DAY, good night life and just real good/chill.