THE TRAVEL ADVICE SUPER-DUPER THREAD

KILZ FILLZ

anyone been to best friends day in richmond va? going up to hadads lake for the outdoor concert/pool thing tomorrow.

Never been to Best friends day.

But there is alot of other cool shit in Richmond.

Good Graf if you know where to look

Make sure to hit the River at some point, Richmonds best attraction IMO.

For good food youre either going to want to eat at Stony point or Cary St. if youre more of a street food person.

Its welcome week for the colleges so if youre coming in the next few weeks there will be alot of hot girls out at the bars looking for fun... and alot of blue lights so be careful.

Anything else you need to know feel free to PM me

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

You know it, I've literally never met a person from there who wasn't easy to get along with and the old squat culture sounds interesting. (I was in Metilkova in Slovenia, and a band playing there was photographing crowds from squats across their tour in protest of what was happening in Copenhagen. Piqued my interest).

Compared to Paris, it does seem a bit gritty but probably not the way people make it out. I spent around a week there being careful but often wandering by myself at night etc and had no problem whatsoever.

aside from literally the middle of paris, i feel like it gets a little gritty (at least where i am). i find myself looking behind my back more than when i walk through any place in the city at crazy hours of the morning (of course i'm also a little white boy in a foreign country)

• 1 month later...

Bahrain next week. 1 day maybeee 2. What do I NEED to check out?

Dubai possiblyyyy 3 days a few weeks from now. Otter than that big ass mall, the indoor snowboarding, that tower that looks like a giant sailboat.... What to check out?

Are you going to Bahrain for a few days, then returning home? Then a few weeks later heading back over there to go to Dubai for a few days and then return home? If so that's pretty brutal...

They had a cool camel farm outside of Bahrain...lol. I am sure people you meet there will know some good bars and places to eat. I can get some names of good restaurants if you want but pretty much it's a bunch of malls and traffic. If possible head to the airport early (if your flying commercial?) for the ill drinking session at the Irish pub in Bahrain. Good beers on tap and lots of random conversations to be had.

Dubai, I would just kick back on the beach and float in the Arabian Gulf all day. It's like a calm warm bathtub. Also, as you know you can hit up the snowboarding, Burj Khalifa (tallest building) and the Atlantis hotel. If you go to the Atlantis tell the guards you are going in to eat. Also, not sure how much free time you have there...but if you want booze buy it at the Duty Free at the airport. Regular stores do not sell and you end up paying a grip at hotels and bars. I will see if I can dig up some more info or if you have any specifics let me know and I can rely them to some peeps out there.

Hopefully this post doesn't bum you out about going because they are both really cool places to experience. Just not a whole bunch of historical things to see or do.

Here's a bunch of pics from my trip:

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138613

• Like 1

Glad you responded, I was kinda looking in your direction when posting that. Woulda PM'd but wanted it to be open to other people too.

I'll be flying into Bahrain Monday/Tuesday, staying for an amt of time i dont know. then from the naval base there, flying by either helicopter or c-2(fuck yeah) to the carrier in the gulf for a few weeks(possibly months). during which the carrier may be taking port in Dubai which would mean 3 days port time for me... I'm hoping the carrier landing is as rad of an experience as I think it will be :haha:

Nah your post didn't bum me out at all, prett much what I was expecting. The tip about saying I'll be eating at the Atlantis is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to get. Duty free may not be an option since I won't be going thru a commercial airport. I'll try to keep an eye out for one somewhere tho. I heard of a place named T.G.I.Thursdays.... Do you know of it? :D

Actually, in Bahrain something that I didn't get to do was go to the old Portuguese Fort of Bahrain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qal'at_al-Bahrain

Really would have liked to have gone there.

The Atlantis is cool just to see. It is out on the man made palm and is massive. Fun to just walk through (the mall and restaurant area) and check the aquarium and Dale Chihuly piece.

Wouldn't actually recommend the snowboarding unless you just want to cool down and for the novelty of it. They only rent equipment for 2 hour blocks and it gets pretty boring with extremely limited runs. They have a TGI Fridays looking over the slope but never heard of TGI Thursdays? I would definitely recommend going to the observation platform at the Burj Khalifa, though. The view from the top and the entire presentation of how it was built on the way up was amazing.

Also, Dubai had an odd rule that no place was permitted to sell alcohol between 4 - 6 PM? I don't think that was the case in Bahrain. But don't count on brown bagging it in the streets :lol: .

Sounds like it will all be pretty unpredictable since you are on a strict work schedule but I definitely hope you can make it to Dubai. Just to see that place is is a trip. But to be on a carrier will be a trip in itself.

#TopGun

vienna-->

istanbul-->

bucharest-->

budapest-->

zurich-->

paris-->

london

was great, no tummy problems, plenty of good times

even got some shit dun.

did it all in one bag that i could carry everywhere we walked

probably my best piece of travel advice.

we almost had to fight with Austrian Air, but in the end didn't check any bag.

i didn't really care for key west

mainly good for getting drunk, noi good beach

i knew a bachelor party who went to cuba and loved it

never been myself

i would love to go to south america

right now i'm in the planning stages, i am for sure going to buenos aires and i'm probably going to add a second destination from the following: montevideo, santiago, rio, quito, lima, caracas

sadly i think finances will make that decision

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you find yourself walking off the ferry from Spain to Tangier don't let anyone be your guide or sell you a rug, head straight to the Bus du-gard and hire a taxi to chefchaouen.

Also, like Symbols said, packing only a small bag is easily the best thing you could do when traveling to multiple places. Its perfect for those transition days when you're hotel/hostel/squat checkout is at 12pm and your train/flight/bus out is at 5pm. It allows you to bum around the town unburdened before leaving. Packing a smaller day bag into your main bag will also come in handy. Save room when you're packing, you never know what you're going to come back with.

I did 3 weeks of europe and africa with an over the shoulder bag, I was nervous about doing it at first, but it was a great decision in retrospect.

Cheers LUGR. Indo is definitely on the list. U hit any specific Islands there? I only been to Bali.

Great Barrier Reef ain't too far for me as I live in the farkn land down under. However tickets and PADI courses anywhere in Asia are WAY cheaper than the price of doing it in Oz. Dunno if ya ever been here but this country is expensive son, and with the Oz $ stronger than the US for the majority of the last year Asia is a way better option for my dollars

Word, didn't realize you were in Oz. In my opinion, you guys have the best beaches and reefs in the world but I haven't been back over there since 99ish so hopefully that still stands true.

I got certified in Indonesia in the late 90's and did my check out dive on one of the Islands in Pulau Seribu. If you are coming from Jakarta that is the easiest place to dive. It is pretty hit or miss with visibility and sea life depending on conditions. But even back then the reefs were getting pretty wrecked in parts due to irresponsible tourists, dynamite fishing and pollution so not sure how they are theses days. Pretty much the further you get away from Jakarta the diving improves.

Never did any diving in Bali but I have heard it has some great spots. I would recommend heading East of Bali to Lombok, and then even further to East Nusa Tenggara. Komodo Island is great for diving as is pretty much all the Islands in that area. It is possible to charter a boat to take you around depending on your budget. When I went, we had a boat out of Bali that took us all the way to Kupang, West Timor making stops at different islands and reefs along the way.

Manado in North Sulawesi is also supposed to be great diving but I have never been there and it is much more out of the way than heading East from Bali.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will try my best to answer.