THE TRAVEL ADVICE SUPER-DUPER THREAD

KILZ FILLZ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

^

Lugr and Harvey, it was just a short stint around Cambodia and Vietnam.

I'm pretty busy at the moment. I've actually got a solo exhibition coming up in a couple weeks and some group shows to sort out. (Explains why I'm messing around on here right?)

But I have a 3 or 4 photo's I uploaded for family so I'll either just add them here or make a new thread asap.

He might be too busy with his solo exhibits to answer any of your questions though?

I gotta see the rest of the louvre!

Been to Montpellier and Nîce, both were dope. Much nicer than Parisians too....

For me the south of france is definately the place in the country. If you haven't already explored it properly I'd take some time to explore Marseille. People are quick to say it's dangerous and dirty etc, but if you look beyond that it's actually an amazing city (great parties, cool people, great graffiti and contemporary art probably more exciting than Paris in my opinion).

Compared to Paris, it does seem a bit gritty but probably not the way people make it out. I spent around a week there being careful but often wandering by myself at night etc and had no problem whatsoever.

Within a week I did make friends with 3 different groups of locals all of whom had had their houses burgaled , so maybe not the best town to rent an apartment in :)

i wanna do paris metro. last one i really care about i think. i'd go back to the louvre for sure but i also loved musee d'orsay

i'd definitely go back. fuckin a, their cemeteries are badass

i would also like to see the rest of france though.

shit, really all of europe is awesome. still haven't been to berlin, istanbul, oslo or venice yet..

barcelona is soo good but then again most places in europe are excellent, yeah i would saw $1000 would be plenty for a week also sans sebastian was rad if you like to surf and chill out smaller than barcelona but decent night life and amazing sangria

in my opinion paris wasn't that exciting bar the normal sights and night life.

i thought paris just looked cool... so much graf, just a really serious vibe in that city

some cities don't have a real feel.. i felt they had it in spades.

i loved spain. barcelona is so awesome, must get back.. i could easily tour europe for a long time if i didn't have dogs.

nurk, i agree based on what i've seen.. would also love to see croatia

yeah so many great great places to be seen though (we're all going to skip a few). Croatia from the little I've seen is great. If you end up out that way I really liked Bosnia. But you really can't go wrong with that entire coastline.

Chilling in some small little resteraunt and chilling is where it's at. I miss Europe to.

Actually it's not really travel, but I was thinking to move to France, re learn the language (I studied it for 6 years from the age of 5). Then do my Masters degree there. Basically benefit from their great social education system.

I understand private language schools do not allow a person a student visa (or benefits) but some university run ones do? Any tips on this?

Grd props given.

Realistically, how much would food/housing/alcohol/fun cost me?( for a week)

Im smart enough to check airfare, its the things i just listed I cant seem to accurately price.

Lugr's quote is more or less on the mark.

If you're a relatively young student it depends on how you want to spend your week. When I went I budgeted for 30 Euro a day (roughly lets say 65 usd) and struggled with this. This is largely because my hostel was something like 18 euro per night (I heard you could work there for free accomodation, so I was thinking about sweet talking my way into that)

If you want to go to clubs or some bars (BCN is great for that stuff) then $1000 USD is right.

If you're happy to cut corners, then you probably can and drastically reduce your costs. There are probably some good places to camp out of Barcelona and you can probably organise a shower etc with someone (preferably a seniorita).

If you're the kind of guy to try this, do use your common sense and find somewhere where you're well out of reach from unwanted company. One of my good friends was sleeping in that park Gaudi designed (bear hugging his backpack as you do) and got woken up with a sucker punch then had that pack ripped off. (Nothing serious, but losing all your shit doesn't sound like fun).

You can also try websites like couchsurfing, which I've done and enjoyed.

In general drinking in the street is pretty common in Spain. You can often buy a cheap bottle of wine or spirits and walk around getting faded then buy one or two drinks in different places just to chat to people etc. Also I used to often buy one drink in a bar then discreetly refill it with my own bottle.

BNC is probably not the best place for that kind of drinking because of it's size and because there are so many good party spots. But I'm sure you'd manage.

If none of that sounds right and you're just looking for cheap places to go. In western Europe, Berlin and Lisbon would be my recommendations.

Eastern Europe is much cheaper. But it's a very different place from the west. If you want just ask and I'll think up some recommendations.

Also, for BCN....if you don't mind staying out of the city center and want to not stay in a hostel you can find some cheaper hotels. The metro system there is awesome so it's easy and quick to get into the city/beaches/sites/skatespots.

Street drinking with out a brown bag and great cheap tapas were plentiful. Jamón ibérico is amazing!

In regards to Istanbul, just started posting pics in this thread....enjoy.

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138613

I love BCA. Watch out for the pick pockets last time I was there I got caught as have many of my friends.

If you want to travel around Europe I'd highly recommend having a bash at inter-railing.

I'd also recommend Florence, Rome, Prague, Zagreb and Split / Croation Islands.

Oh and Berlin, man I fucking love Berlin.