MAY 1999

misteraven

I was 25, working as a courier in SF and living in South City. I started meeting and hanging out with writers from crews like BA, LORDS, WOW, AWR, THR, KUK, SH, BTM, CA...they sparked/renewed my interest in graff. Going to punk shows every weekend, had been clean and sober for a couple years at that point (only to fall off the wagon later that summer with a resounding bang). Most of the time I spent on the internet was talking to messengers and punks in other cities/countries and looking for punk/metal mp3s. I didn't hear about 12 oz till 2001 or so.

Raven, it looks like your Alexa ratings really took off.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1999- life before digital cameras - trading flicks and paper graff zines....i barely ever got on here then. different username. AOL days.

I had a digital camera in early '99 but they weren't really known then. It was digital camera made by Polaroid. I remember I brought it to school and kids were bewildered. Never saw a camera with a "screen" on the back. That took photos that you could cycle through right on the spot. But yeah I was the first person in school, and among anyone I knew, with a digital camera.

I was always on top of new technology. Had a DVD player around 1998 on the computer (had Demolition Man on DVD), and had a MP3 player around that same time (it was shaped like a pen). DVDs seemed crystal-clear back then compared to VHS, but DVD's back then look choppy compared to current DVDs.

I had a digital camera in early '99 but they weren't really known then. It was digital camera made by Polaroid. I remember I brought it to school and kids were bewildered. Never saw a camera with a "screen" on the back. That took photos that you could cycle through right on the spot. But yeah I was the first person in school, and among anyone I knew, with a digital camera.

I was always on top of new technology. Had a DVD player around 1998 on the computer (had Demolition Man on DVD), and had a MP3 player around that same time (it was shaped like a pen). DVDs seemed crystal-clear back then compared to VHS, but DVD's back then look choppy compared to current DVDs.

i first saw a digital camera in 5th grade when my teacher took it to school. that was like 95, she was showing us all the pics on the tv. i remember asking her how much that thing cost and she said it was 2 or 5 thousand, cant remember exactly.

i went home and told my parents about this super cool camera my teacher had.

I was 18. I think I discovered 12oz a year or so later......used a dial-up connection, lurked, made a user name that I couldn't remember......got a life and stopped caring about the internet.....re-kindled my love for the 120z, came back made a new name that I also cant remember for the life of me.......left, then came back in 06' and rarly post.

I used to go to St. Louis every summer when I was a kid. I'd say around 1997 to 1999 I remembered seeing the floodwall and asking my grandma to go back the next day and take pictures. Didn't start sketching and getting into it for a few years after, but that was my first encounter.

Also in '99 was my first kiss the day before 7th grade started. I thought I was hot shit walking into Jr High the next day haha

i was on here when there were no logins, it was just a bulletin board. i guess that was late 1998 into early 1999? i remember there weren't really people from all over the country, it was mostly people from NY, CT and other north eastern states plus FL that were posting here. At that point, the main place for graffiti discussion on the internet was alt.graffiti where i used to lurk.

i was in college in 1999 and was just getting back into graff. i had been heavily involved in graffiti from about 1992-1996 but stopped for a few years to focus on other things.

graff has changed a lot since 1999. at that point, euro paint was just becoming available here. american writers were just starting to do "funk" styles. NYC style throw ups were spreading to other cities. there were bigger regional differences in style, especially between east and west coast. graffiti was spreading to new places but was less trendy than it is now. most writers in the 90's were wiggers who said "yo" a lot, no one wore tight pants.

i was on here when there were no logins, it was just a bulletin board. i guess that was late 1998 into early 1999? i remember there weren't really people from all over the country, it was mostly people from NY, CT and other north eastern states plus FL that were posting here. At that point, the main place for graffiti discussion on the internet was alt.graffiti where i used to lurk.

i was in college in 1999 and was just getting back into graff. i had been heavily involved in graffiti from about 1992-1996 but stopped for a few years to focus on other things.

graff has changed a lot since 1999. at that point, euro paint was just becoming available here. american writers were just starting to do "funk" styles. NYC style throw ups were spreading to other cities. there were bigger regional differences in style, especially between east and west coast. graffiti was spreading to new places but was less trendy than it is now. most writers in the 90's were wiggers who said "yo" a lot, no one wore tight pants.

Nice, I agree.

I'm listening to Smif N Wessun as we speak.

AOL graf chatroom circa 1997 stand up.