MAY 1999

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i moved to japan and 12oz was one of the only sites that kept me up to date with popular culture and the forever changing american slang.

i think i lurked for a few years before ever registering because I didn't have anything to say.

3500 posts in 9 years.. not bad.

i was fifteen and just getting exposed to graff. wu tang was bumpin out my stereo and i was writing all over everything. didnt really look at the oz til about 2003 or 4, mainly just lurked in metalheads til i got really bored in college and decided to make a user name and post some shit. its been entertaining.

I am a fetus here. I think...I was still in grade school

in 99. Geebus. The only thing memorable I did that year

was punch this kid Ronald in the face for making fun of

me for being an orphan with freckles.

I think I also went to sutters fort, made first string on

my basketball team, and was the narrator for Macbeth.

Thank you Raven for the work you have

done. It is appreciated.

Maybe not where you lived, but certain writers in SF were definitely wearing them in the late 90s.

i guess it depends on how tight you are talking. 1998 indie rock tight vs. 2009 tight. but seriously, what percentage of writers were wearing non baggy pants in 1999? like under 1%? a lot of my friends at the time were indie rock/art kids but i don't think anyone in the graffiti scene in nyc was on that shit at the time. that came later. people have a tendency to claim they "always rocked nothing but skintight purple jeans with limited sb dunks," or "always listened exclusively to underground venezuelan thrash metal." but we all know most of those people are not being entirely truthful.

i guess it depends on how tight you are talking. 1998 indie rock tight vs. 2009 tight. but seriously, what percentage of writers were wearing non baggy pants in 1999? like under 1%? a lot of my friends at the time were indie rock/art kids but i don't think anyone in the graffiti scene in nyc was on that shit at the time. that came later. people have a tendency to claim they "always rocked nothing but skintight purple jeans with limited sb dunks," or "always listened exclusively to underground venezuelan thrash metal." but we all know most of those people are not being entirely truthful.

I can only speak for SF and (briefly) for Seattle.

I didn't really run with the hip-hop crowd besides a couple of people here and there. Most of my friends back then who were writers were punks or into metal and dressed the part, and I either met them through my job or at venues/record shops.

As far as people claiming "I was into ___________ forever, I'm no bandwagon fag" that pretty much comes with any scene, but I tell ya...there's a few people who I wish I could have taken pics of over the years just to be able to pull their card when they start talking about "So and so is a poseur, he's only been down with ___________ for six months."

Besides 50million, did anyone else on here from the Bay ever hang out at the Epicenter, the old Balazo Gallery on 24th, the SPAM warehouse, Club Hot, Star Cleaners or Mission Records? Great places, sorely missed by me and many others (well, Mission Records is a tossup, it really depends on the era and who you talk to).

I had some of the mags in middle school. 99 I was living in a giant house with two tweeker girls and one of thems butch dyke wrangler jean cowboy hat mom. I was working graveyard shift at one of the most ghetto 7-11's in the city, selling 3.2 beer to mexicans after midnight for profit, bringing home bags of stale donuts, expired junk food and shitty 711 deli items and chocolate milk every morning. At that point I had yet to live in a residence with a computer let alone internet.

I came on here in 1999. It was my first year on the internet...REALLY. I had no idea about usernames and forums, so my first SN on here was my given first name. I knew about the forum from the 12oz magazines and also from the old 7th Heaven catalogs that used to go out. One of the first things I did once I got online was come to this site and Artcrimes, as well as a local site called Grafcafe.com. Oddly enough 12oz issue 1 was also one of my first zines.

I had to re-register as well in 2000, had this name ever since, as well as a few that I fucked around with. One of the funnier ones was "GermansloveDavidHaselhof"