District 9

Tails0nE

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yo pretty much if you go to these movies expecting a good plot good luck with that. But i dont give a shit cus these movies could be about alundry detergent im going to watch this shit for the intense turn of the century special effects which im sure will blow my fucking mind after enough pot.

• 4 weeks later...
I thought I knew from the trailer material what to expect from this film, and I could not have been more wrong. The movie is earth-shatteringly awesome, so much so that I had to seriously reassess my impressions of footage I had seen earlier in the day of James Cameron's AVATAR, which did indeed look beautiful. But DISTRICT 9 will quite simply kick your ass so hard and with such conviction that your lungs will get lodged in our nostrils.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41848

DISTRICT 9 is a landmark film that will heretofore be spoken of alongside such films as ALIENS, THE THING and 2001. What you have seen thus far has not entirely prepared you for it, as it has been a bit deceptive – both in its favor and against. You see, this is not another Mockumentary. This isn’t Cloverfield. It opens that way, sure, with the first 15 minutes or so being told in that format. But as the story progresses, we begin having moments that clearly aren’t “filmed” – moments that are really happening within the framework of a story. Slowly, the film transitions from documentary style into a full blown science fiction film, abandoning the interviews and explanatory exposition for gunfights, chases and things the documentary never would have been allowed to show you.

What you are decidedly not ready for is just how fucking hardcore this movie is. First of all, it is gory. Not bloody. Gory. Alien weaponry doesn’t play around. They have lightning guns that make people fucking explode. Blood, guts and viscous fluids burst and rain down time and again, occasionally showering the lens with unidentifiable goo. Is that plasma or liquefied liver? You’ll have no idea. But the gore isn’t what’s going to get you. You can be sufficiently prepared for that.

What’s going to really get people - what is positively going to melt brains - is the sheer volume of unvarnished social commentary this film brings to bear.

This movie is a clenched fist ready to beat your psyche to a pulp, leaving you a bit punch drunk as you stagger out into the lobby to try and process it all.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41892