Google Voice

shai

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

google voice is pretty cool but not too sure how secure and private it is..

anyone else have an opinion about this?

another way for google to get in your business?

They already handle my email, so what difference does a few phone calls from prospective employers here and there really make? I'm sure I agreed to something ridiculous in the TOS but unless I hear my voice or my messages on a Google commercial and don't see a check...it's just another cool free service.

by the way..

shai..

you figured out how to use the record feature?

I do not know about this record feature, unless you're talking about playing back messages. Then yes, I've done that.

Anyway, it sounds like they're rolling this out for real now. It's good for me because I don't have a cell and when I do I rarely answer it. If you don't need it or think it's cool or don't get it, pass it by.

I know google always has terms and conditions that say they own the info in your emails or whatever.

I'm sure they can do whatever the fuck they want with your voicmail, call history and recorded conversations now.

Plus they've been know to just give up your info to the government without a warrant for "national security" purposes.

Knowing all this I still want a number I can use to put on business cards and give out without worrying about giving out my # to strangers or possible phsyco females.

People will always look a gift horse in the mouth, it's human nature.

I know a couple people that work/have done work for Google, and the only thing that concerns them is that they hire people mainly on contract...so there's no real future there for something like 50-75% of the workers.

My concern is the fact that they are gathering a metric shit ton of information per day and not being very clear about what they plan to do with it. Sell it? Give it away? It seems like if you use the internet you're participating in what Google does, willingly or otherwise.

It's too dope to pass up, but I'm sure those text transcripts of your voice mail are being scanned for keywords to be used in marketing and other situations.

Since legally they own it they can do whatever with said info.

Lets say you pissed off someone that had access to all your private information, you would be fucked.

Not only google employees, but john Q law and politicians, they give that shit up without warrants.

I think under the current terms and conditions for using gmail they are the rightful owners of that email,

meaning whatever they do with it they don't need your permission to do it.

That's the reasoning behind offering these free services, collecting information then turning around and making money from it.

Or using said info to target you for specific advertisements and find the best places to put it.

I'm not saying it's completely sinister and appreciate it enough to use google's mail and request my Voice account.

I just think it's an interesting topic especially since this is a new frontier.

Even at the peak of the united states postal services power to censor publishers and whatever,

they didn't have the means to control this much information and tap your private conversations at will.

Now a private company has it, nobody finds this alarming?

alright guys.. clue me into the perks of this. I got my invite a few days ago (didn't even know i signed up). I only have 1 phone, my cell. What would be the benefit of having this? I mean, I can see how this would benefit me if I had multiple phones (ie. work, home, cell).. but as I said, I only have a cell.

taken from sd: "Come Monday Googlevoice + Asterisk pbx will Allow Free incoming/outgoing USA VOIP service

After the huge disppointment I got from the Gizmo5/GV integration/debacle I started thinking of downloading and modifying an opensource softphone to allow me to use one program to receive and dial out using Google voice. While looking, I found out that this will be happening without my help. Asterisk pbx which is an opensource PBX/SIP solution will have that integration rolled out by Monday. Hurray

Using asterisk pbx, we will be able to piggyback on the sip server of Gizmo5 using the free account (this is only needed because GV sip forwarding is only allowed to a Gizmo 1747xxxxxxx phone number). We will not need to give G5 our GV credentials!!!

Simply create a G5 account, or use the current one. DO NOT integrate with G5 & GV. Install asterisk pbx set it up to connect to G5 SIP server for incoming calls. Set Asterisk pbx, which will reside on your own computer, to connect to GV and dial out for free!! Dialing out will be using the same method currently used by G5 to make GV calls, streaming instructions directly form asterisk pbx to GV server.

No 3 minutes limit!!!

With asterisk pbx, we will even be able to use an SIP ATA adapter to connect a regular phone."

more info: http://nerdvittles.com/?p=630

Now this is a beautiful solution!

It's cool, except that it's not really a solution for most people (on a scale of one to ten setting up a Asterisk PBX and SIP server is about an 8 or 9). I could probably get it to work but it would take a while.

Maybe I'll set it up tonight and call you, MG.

You just need to know what provider the number is linked to and use their send a text feature once...on all the ones I've used it will give you a email directly to the phone so you can use your own email account.

But now I want to take a shot at this SIP thing.