$15.3 million in gold missing from mint could have been stolen

T.T Boy

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2009/06/29/ottawa-mint-gold-missing.html

The Royal Canadian Mint said Monday that $15.3 million worth of gold missing from its vaults could have been stolen.

The gold was reported missing last fall, but officials at the mint said they had hoped they would find that an accounting error was responsible.

A review conducted by auditors Deloitte and Touche, however, recently concluded that the gold wasn't simply forgotten during inventory.

"The unaccounted for difference in gold does not appear to relate to an accounting error in the reconciliation process, an accounting error in the physical stock count schedules or an accounting error in the record keeping of transactions during the year," the company concluded in a report released Monday.

Christine Aquino, director of communications with the mint, said that many possible scenarios are being considered.

"We're not going to speculate on the cause just yet," said Aquino.

"We're not giving up on this. We're going to pursue this rather vigorously."

Aquino said the mint asked the RCMP to look into the matter two weeks ago.

She said in the meantime, the mint is prepared to follow three of Deloitte and Touche's recommendations concerning its accounting procedures and building security.

"They've also asked that we go through our security measures for review," said Aquino.

"But it's just one of the avenues we're pursuing. We have one of the most secure facilities in Canada, if not the world."

I love a good heist story. How many months later and they just found out about this?

These guys are long gone.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I watched a documentary on the Canadian Mint and it's on serious lock down, there is no way an outside team went all "oceans eleven style" and broke in and stole $15.3 million worth of gold, this was an inside job. Some greedy bonded employees probably schemed a plan for a while to move the gold out of the compound and have had it hiding.

During the 6 months the Cdn Mint "apparently" were oblivious you know they were just waiting until someone slipped up and spent some of the gold.

Pretty cool heist BTW.

Probably nobody would steal gold, I mean, who wants that shit... and also, how much do you think $15m actually weighs...

Flip side, there was that German dude a few yers back who was stealing a pocket full of bolts and screws from work every day for a few years. Then he started selling the stuff on Ebay and undercutting the avg. price by like 10 times... final result, fucked up the worldwide 'fastener' markets and almost drove a couple major manufacturers into bankruptcy.

I guess if someone starts selling really undervalued gold on Ebay I might buy it (hint hint Canuks).... or if toppling the global commodities markets is more your thing, you might try one of those Cash4Gold mail away places, as far as I can tell that's a pretty no questions asked type deal...

13,500,000.00 CAD = 11,599,551.13 USD

Canada Dollars United States Dollars

1 CAD = 0.859226 USD 1 USD = 1.16384 CAD

http://www.xe.com

http://www.dailyreckoning.co.uk/economic-forecasts/chinas-dollar-reserves-americas-debt.html

Not even India wants the USD anymore, that with the fact China now owns about 40% of America (in theory/relating to how much the US is in Chinas pocket), Id get off that high horse.

1296383013_Picture676.jpg.ede4e0d12ad679d1085516d08ef81bbd.jpg

PUT BACK THE GOLD EH

VanEmber.jpg

I have a new suspect, he acts like a Canadian cop but he fully forgot to say "Please"

You're not foolin' me Dudley DoWrong.

In a related note, neither is Def Leppard, unless they mean how to spell 'deaf' because they were many things but NEVER 'Def'... and also they spelled 'leopard' wrong too...

FOOL.jpg

well at least Led Zepplin got their name from Keith Moon as he was turning them down to join the band. Thank God though, Zepplin would have been turds without Bonnahm and what would have happened to the Who.

*also, the commonly repeated rumor is that they named it 'Led' because they thought American audiences were too stupid and would mispronounce the word if it was spelled 'lead'.