Mentors.

FuckDaFakes

Does anyone have a mentor or somone who has showen the the ropes ect.

I think its really shit how these days no-one is willing to help us young folk out, if you cant do it yourself then your classed as toy ect.

So anyone wanna share any stories about their mentors so to speak.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Hm, well me and my best mate have always been partners in crime aye, we were toys at the start and have developed simular styles.

Anywhos my mate has a big brother who used to graff.. His big brothers mate is a maddd graffa and is founder/reps the best crew around here.. His got mad skills and is a good guy, his taking us out to paint and all that, so yeah guess i kinda do have a mentor..

But man if you aint got a mentor, you can pick up alot of stuff watching vids, lookin up different styles, reading up on graff storys ect. Back in the day they didnt have the kind of resources we do know so its a much of a much. we dont have mentors as readily as they did before.. But they didnt have all our vids and shit as we do now.

Yeah man i mean i think ive done not bad picking it all up on my own so to speak, with thanks to the internet.

Back in the day they didnt have the kind of resources we do

This is such an important phrase in todays society, i dont think young folk my age 16/17 have an appreciatation of what we actually have.

yeh oath man, im 17 myself (18 in 3 weeks woooooo!)

I always hear of people on here, alot of them older, saying how young graffas have noone to show them to ropes so there toys and all that.. I think its a much of a much really. Nothing beats having a expierinced writer standing next to you keeping you calm as your chuk up ur first throwy... But still, i think we can make it by...

Yeah deff man. I mean in todays society you just gotta get up and do your shit for you man... fuck everyone else, Everyone else is gna be there but if you get a thought in your head that ou wanna bomb that spot and dont go through with it then you aint no balls man.

The best part about goin solo is that you dont have to embarrass yer self in front of other good writers.

But mn i tell you, if i knew someone who would take me on and help me improve what i do id b so greatfull... im stuck at that plateau now :(

A lot of us don't want to help out you younger heads for a number of reasons.

The fact that you're more likely to roll over on your "mentor" if you're pinched.

An unwillligness to be patient, pratice and get good. Your generation has been raised to expect swift, if not immediate results.

usually when you're out to bomb, you're out to make it count. A lot of people don't have time to hold someone elses hand. Imagine how annoying it would be if you were hanging out with someone and they called you into the bathroom because they didn't know how to wipe their ass and needed somneone to show them? Same thing for an experienced writer having to stop in the middle of his piece because some kid can;t figure out which is the skinny versus fat cap.

most of you aren't 21 and can;t go to the bars before/after a mission

The whole maturity level thing is pretty annoying. Please stop grabbing me to point

out the two girls kissing at the party. Seen it. Don't care about your cool drug use. Done pretty much all of'em.

but with that said...i did have a mentor who showed me basic letter struture, gave me some style points, took me to some yards and learned me the basics. What more need i say?

Ok so youre saying that you had a mentor but are not willing to help out younger folk wanting to start out in graff ?

And there was me thinking that it was my generation that had the problems.

Also i find your response really very patronising.

Here in the uk you dont need to be 21 to get into bars ect so i have not got a problem goin for a pint or 4 afterwards.

Now i wonder how your 'mentor' felt having to wipe your ass when you wanted to advance and learn more.

An unwillligness to be patient, pratice and get good. Your generation has been raised to expect swift, if not immediate results.

Now this is probably the most inaccurate and a total dickish thing to say.

I think that ive learned alot on my own and im doing not too bad, i could be doing better but then again i suppose i dont have the 'patience' that you so brilliantly put it.

i no im 15 live in Poland and you can buy urself alcohol go to clubs and pubs/bars and buy spray paintand out here must of the time wen u are doin graffiti they usualy just look at you and keep walkin poland actually thinks its an art but then you got those cats in gdansk where they are like fucking terrorist.. they will hold people down at gunpoint and hold them hostage so they can do peices on the train.. but thats a whole other part of graffiti that i think only happens in poland

This thread has turned to shit man,

I was like totally ex pectin JustHereForTheNight to have a rebutle but he must know i have a point at least if he has even bothered to return to the thread, which i doubt.

This is a problem in todays society, no-one wants to help out younger folk becuase the minority are pricks and are the stereo-typical Teenager nowadays.

If these so called senior members who think they are it got off their high horse and actually took time to get to know younger folk they would soon realise were probably alot more mature and better folk in general than what you give us credit for.

Pretty pathetic in my eyes.

no, i just have better things to do with my time than argue with people on the internet.

Even if i did come back with a counterpoint, you'd refuse to back down even in the face of overwhelming facts, evidence and support on my side that would show that mentoring someone in this day and age is a bad idea for the most part.

not getting sucked into that.

THE END

Now all your doing is being a straight up, self righteous prat.

Again if you took time to explain yourslf you might make yourself look a bit better.

I welcome your 'overwhelming facts, evidence and support' because all you seem to do is say something and think you are THE king.

Just because you have made more posts on this forum than me doesnt mean to say you know more.

Stop being a prat and explain yourself.

Typical ignorant.

i personally am selftaught, sadly via internet and books mostly but ive figured out more than a few things on my own.

i think mentoring is a major part of graffiti that has been lost in last few years. the internet has replaced alot of traditional regional styles. even though ive had influence from different writhers around the world via the internet i still pride myself in incorporating my regions style into my work.

i personally enjoy showing some else how to do this and that in graff, as long as they are fully commited to wanting to learn and arent a bullshitter that cops out 2 weeks in becuase they either get over it and loose interest and move on, or they are too intemidated and overwhelmed by the challenge of practice and patince it takes to learn how to become a graffiti writer.

but graffiti needs mentors again.

Thanks eon. Someone who actually has a decent point and ho just aint out to patronise people like JustHereForTheNight.

I don't get who jonneh7 was directing that to ?

Graff will die out eventually or the level of raff writers will drop unless people are wiling to help the next generations. I'm pretty sure that if people were really dedicated to their art and fucking culture (coz that's what it fucking is) they wouldn't wanna see that happen.

I agree that having someone to show you the ropes would be cool. That way you meet the right people and learn what to do, and where to do it. But...

Who cares if the population of graff writers diminishes? I'd rather be a part of a secluded group than having graff become a public practice.

Yeah i agree with the whole secluded group thing

Even now its falling apart... I remember the times me and a few buddies used to write DEC: DESTROY EVERYTHING COUNCIL.

Thats what graff means to me... fucking everything corporate and council.

I mean i agree with the whole secluded group thing but even now... it is a secluded group. Well round my area it is anyway

the internet has replaced alot of traditional regional styles.

i wouldnt say replaced, but switched them out.

people in NY doing bay styles, people all over

doing that euro trash.

places used to be know for their styles, but now

anyone can replicate them because of the internet.

and graff does need mentors, probably now more than ever

people all over

doing that euro trash

Im form Europe and my stuf aint trash, at least i dont think it is lol.

I think its a good idea that people can use styles from all over the world... kinda opens the world of graff up to younger folk, if it wasnt for the net chances are we wouldnt know alot about the legends from the bronx ect.