P I T T S B U R G H

Mercer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

excerpt from a hipsters blog

YUPPIES GO HOME

"Since moving to Pittsburgh months ago, I have spent ample amounts of time traipsing around the many walking trails and neighborhoods of the 'Burgh, discovering presumably local artists. Pittsburgh has what I would consider a strong scene when I compare it to other cities I have been to or lived in. Per my own observations (as limited as they might be) one end of the street art spectrum wilts with the likes of Lexington and Elizabethtown, KY and Dijon, France (places I have lived), while the other end has power houses like Zaragoza and Madrid, Spain, Boston, MA, and a hotspot like New York City (locations I have merely visited). I might also bring up the fact that Pittsburgh may not be a generator of notable artists and styles like New York City or London, but it certainly has attracted artists over the past year (Shepard Fairey and SWOON). I would expect, and hope, that it will continue to become a mark on the map that other traveling artists start hitting up.

That being said, here's some focus for you on a local artist who has certainly spread himself around Pittsburgh. If you've ever visited Pittsburgh and taken the time to observe your surroundings, surely you have seen THOR."

didnt realize he kept going ahah

seriiously, go away, get out of the east end. we dont want you. its not cool here.... we dont need any more 2nd hand clothing stores or blogs. we need things made of concrete and steel that we can actually use and actually stand for something other than your parents dwindling fortunes.

"The guy is everywhere, leaving traces of himself on mailboxes, signs and electric boxes up and down the streets of every neighborhood and on the concrete walls of every walking and biking trail in the city. Typically, the artist has chosen to tag the hell out of everything, but as seen above, his pieces can be found here and there, typically in the more remote locations. The pieces above, dated 2009, are located off the Steel Valley Trail, along with a smattering of some fairly detailed works by other artists. Seen from the Eliza Furnace Trail is a piece which appears to be much older than the former as it is faded and undated (below)."

Not to bash his workmanship, but personally, Thor appears to be an artist of quantity as opposed to quality. That fact suits me just fine, because the familiar trademark double-dotted and tailed 'o' of the infamous Thor tag that I see so often always puts a smile on my face."

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

http://www.pittsburghcitypaper.ws/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid:67230

i like the comment, posted by anon:

"Since when does Pittsburgh endorse graffiti? They should send graffiti task force out to buff this dude? And sprout got one with a spray-paint can spraying? I don't understand what spell this dude has put on the city, but my guess is the Obama poster made him acceptable to the masses, and the Warhol invited him here, and now we are pro-graffiti because its turning a dollar for someone. Yet we as a city, make a graffiti the enemy by sending kids to jail and delivering outrageous fines. Then we invite one to our city from LA and pay him to do illegal work, and write stories about him in our rags. Not that I'm a hater, but what are we doing as a city? Why do we make rules for ourselves; making local artists jump through hoops to do art in the city, and then invite graffiti into our back yard?"

dope flick but it looks like the smithfield bridge

But not the one we know today...

History

The present bridge is the third bridge at the site and remains the oldest steel bridge in the United States. In 1818, a wooden bridge was built across the Monongahela by Louis Wernwag at a cost of $102,000. This bridge was destroyed in Pittsburgh's Great Fire of 1845. The second bridge on the site was a wire rope suspension bridge built by John A. Roebling. Increases in both bridge traffic and river traffic eventually made the lightly-built bridge with eight short spans inadequate. The present Lindenthal bridge was built in its place, using the Roebling bridge's stone masonry piers.

The Smithfield Street bridge is the second-to-last of the many bridges which span the Monongahela before the river joins with the Allegheny River to form the Ohio River at Downtown Pittsburgh. The Fort Pitt Bridge is further downstream of it.

The bridge also served the Pittsburgh Railways streetcar system with a rail line that continued on a loop from the Mt. Washington Transit Tunnel through downtown on Wood Street, Grant Street and Liberty Avenue. The streetcar rail line was abandoned July 3, 1985, when the streetcars were diverted to the Panhandle Bridge and the new light rail subway.

The bridge's short clearance from the river as well as its deteriorated condition convinced PennDOT officials to demolish the bridge and to replace it with a modern bridge. Lobbying by Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation on the merits of preserving the bridge were considered by officials. In 1994-1995 the bridge was rehabilitated with a new deck, a colorful paint scheme, and architectural lighting. The abandoned rail lines became an extra traffic lane and there was an addition of a light-controlled bus lane which is activated during peak traffic hours.[2] The bridge also has the distinction of being the most heavily walked pedestrian bridge, mostly commuters that park at Station Square.

The bridge connects Smithfield Street in Downtown Pittsburgh with Station Square.