street punks with Hot Topic gift cards and trust funds.

Frate_Raper

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

funniest thing about punx is they don't realize how similar to others they are. they DONT follow fashion trends? they DONT like getting drunk? they DONT like not giving a fuck? whoa, sounds like most jocks/fratboys. and many punx act like fucking jocks. it's so stupid. they still follow the same alpha male mentality of the 'square' culture they claim to reject. (is there even square culture anymore?)

but hey, you're like, totally fucking the man up by eating food from the dumpster and buying expensive vegan goods. fuck. really? like, you're $1000 track bike is totally against corporations, dude. man. so dense. get over yourselves and DO something. we're all people dealing with the same fucking shit.

RANT.

Yeah, well.....you're even more retarded than that. How do you like them apples?

Not really geared towards you shai, just to most of these kids that really dont know what they are talking about except what they heard or saw on tv.

I know you have paid your dues and know what is going on

I haven't been to a show that cost more than 12 dollars in years. and i go to a ton of shows with a lot of out of town and even out of country bands. As crack said, unless its a house venue, most of the money isn't going to the band anyways. Touring punk bands are making a few bucks from the cover charge, but the vast majority of any money they make on tour is from vinyl and shirts. Most venues/bars/whatever raising the show price is so they can make bigger money, it generally has nothing to do with paying the bands. If you want to support a band, buy some merch from them at a show, or toss them a couple bucks for gas and food.

Infact, bands end up paying the venue at a lot of shows where the ticket prices are expensive because the venue will have a set amount that goes to them, and then any extra money goes to the band. And if that set amount isn't reached, the person who booked the show or the band will have to cover it, because ticket prices were dumb expensive and people didn't want to come out. Expensive ticket prices generally have nothing to do with trying to help the band, its all about venues wanting to make a few extra bucks, and as a result alienating a ton of people who would've come out and probably bought some drinks anyways.

I'm sure it's fun to travel around playing $6.00-$12.00 gigs for gas money and crashing on fans floors when you're starting out and making a name for yourself, but you can't hate on established bands wanting to be able to make an honest living off of what they love.

In my entire life I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've bought CD's, vinyl, t-shirts or anything at a show. Any show, any genre. And I'm willing to bet that I'm far from alone in this. Especially these days when people just download their shit for free.

How you gonna be a fan of a band, then bitch like a child because you have to spend more than $12.00 to see them live? The world doesn't revolve around you and your wallet. People get older and have mouths to feed and bills to pay and need some type of incentive to keep doing what they were doing as kids. What they love to do. But what they can't do if it doesn't pay the bills. If you've been in a band for over a decade and have a shit-ton of fans all over the country, then you can probably afford to do what you love for a living and still be able to put food on the table. Eventually it gets to a point where real life has to compete with your hobbies, and if you can get your hobbies to support your real life then that's what's up and your fans should be grateful to be able to see you at all, and not bitch that they have to pay a little more to see you.

I'm just saying that bitching about and shunning bands over paying an extra $10-$15 to see them play your favorite songs by them live kinda falls under the category of:

THE HARDCORE SCENE IS TOTAL GIRL BULLSHIT DRAMA. MORE IMPORTANT ISSUES ARE ARGUED ABOUT ON 'MY SUPER SWEET 16'

you are retarded as well, you are mixing up hipsters with crusties

Hipsters ride track bikes and they dont eat from dumpsters

Crusties dont have shit. Except crappy patched up clothes and not showering

:rolleyes: aren't they both the same? sheiiit. crusties def. do have shit in addition to their dumb clothes and patches. :D :D :D :D :D :D :scrambled:

I was gonna join in on this but I don't really think I was ever a "crust-punk". I was just a hobo who read Evasion and Cometbus too many times.

I befriended a lot of crusties but most of them are selfish junkies who just do what they can to survive..meaning fuck people over if they have to.

What ever happened to KaBaR and souther kid??

Not really geared towards you shai, just to most of these kids that really dont know what they are talking about except what they heard or saw on tv.

I know you have paid your dues and know what is going on

Yeah, I was just giving you a hard time. I've been chuckling to myself throughout this thread because it's obvious most of the people chiming in don't get it and probably never will no matter how much it's explained to them.

When you really think about it, there's not much of a difference between all of these subcultures that people identify with. Every scene has its movers and shakers, poseurs, and hangers-on and from the outside looking in it's hard to see what's really going on. But once you're immersed to a certain point, it all makes sense and then you can appreciate the folks who are productive and doing good things and steer clear of the people who are just taking up space....and you realize that those people would probably be doing the same exact thing in any other scene.

I won't deny that there's a lot of bad apples in the punk scene, but the important thing to remember is that they don't define everyone who lives that lifestyle. Unfortunately, the high visibility they thrive on gives a lot of talented, dedicated and positive people a bad rap...but it's not all about sitting around asking for a handout and acting like a douchebag.

It's kind of funny, because as I said before I've slowly been moving away from the punk scene for some time. That doesn't mean that I've sold out or have turned my back on what I believe in, it means that now that I'm older I've realized that I should do what I can as an individual....I've gotten past feeling like I need to be part of something to do what I want to do creatively and politically.

It's kind of funny, because as I said before I've slowly been moving away from the punk scene for some time. That doesn't mean that I've sold out or have turned my back on what I believe in, it means that now that I'm older I've realized that I should do what I can as an individual....I've gotten past feeling like I need to be part of something to do what I want to do creatively and politically.

I dont think so Shai, its just growing up. Like I said before you are not going to find to many "political punks" they have transformed into "activists" "left-wing lobbyists" and "charity organizers".

Every scene is a direct reflection of the illness that is infected America. Hardcore kids and Punks, who used to be very active sub genres are now just lazy good for nothings that just do it for the fashion.

The music is also reflecting it as well, no longer are the chants of "Stand up and Do something" but now are "bitch and complain about stuff"

But its cool, like Shai said...there are still people that believe and will do something

Like I said before you are not going to find to many "political punks" they have transformed into "activists" "left-wing lobbyists" and "charity organizers".

Maybe not so much with the new generation, but I know a lot of punks from my era (late 80s to the present) who have moved on from playing dress-up and being scenesters but chose to stick with the activism and social work.

If it hadn't been for the punk scene, I never would have been exposed to a lot of things that I've been involved with over the years...like bike activism, community cleanup, urban organic gardening, the Prisoner's Literature Project, Food Not Bombs, squatting, homeless outreach, needle exchange programs/harm reduction, the medical marijuana movement, organizing art shows and benefits...it opened a lot of doors for me to make a difference. There's still kids getting stoked on doing positive work, but nowhere near as many as I used to see in the 90s. Now it seems to be more about the image and scene politics, and I thnk that's why a lot of kids get burned out in a few years because they don't feel like there's anything substantial to get involved with.

I THINK MOST OF THE KIDS WHO WERE DOING THAT SHIT WERE DOING IT AS PRT OF THEIR FACADE.

MOST PEOPLE MOVE ON FROM GIVING UP THEIR FREE TIME AND MOVE ONTO HELPING WHEN ITS CONVENIENT OR JUST NO LONGER GIVING A FUCK.

THE IDEALS OF MOST PUNK AND WHATEVER WHATEVER SUBCULTURES ARE REALLY REALLY CHILDISH.

MOST OF THEM WOULD RATHER BITCH AND MOAN ABOUT SOME PROBLEM SOMEWHERE AND BEG FOR HELP.

REAL TALK, ALOT OF THAT SHIT IS JUST CHILDREN FROM THE SUBURBS WITH MISPLACED ANGST.

IF YOU WERE IN YOUR LATE TEENS EARLY 20'S IN THE MID 80'S (WHICH I WAS NOT) I CANT SAY YOU HONESTLY HAVE AN OPINION ON THIS SHIT BECAUSE ALMOST EVERYTHING AFTER THAT HAS JUST BEEN TEENS TESTING THE WATERS ON WHO THEY THINK THEY WANT TO BE.

Maybe not so much with the new generation, but I know a lot of punks from my era (late 80s to the present) who have moved on from playing dress-up and being scenesters but chose to stick with the activism and social work.

If it hadn't been for the punk scene, I never would have been exposed to a lot of things that I've been involved with over the years...like bike activism, community cleanup, urban organic gardening, the Prisoner's Literature Project, Food Not Bombs, squatting, homeless outreach, needle exchange programs/harm reduction, the medical marijuana movement, organizing art shows and benefits...it opened a lot of doors for me to make a difference. There's still kids getting stoked on doing positive work, but nowhere near as many as I used to see in the 90s. Now it seems to be more about the image and scene politics, and I thnk that's why a lot of kids get burned out in a few years because they don't feel like there's anything substantial to get involved with.

yeah i feel ya, good example is here BF tried to get into helping out the semi scene here.

She emailed these guys that do shows and have vegan bbqs and stuff. They totally blew her off and were kind of assholes.

Really sucks when all we were trying to do is help out and they just want to be jerks

Really sucks when all we were trying to do is help out and they just want to be jerks

You're in the military, and you're both from the states.

They might just be cautious and paranoid that yall are CIA trying to infiltrate their shit.

Or maybe they're just assholes. My experience with People from German heritage points to that.

I can only imagine what real Germans are like.

My bad, I'm drunk.

You're in the military, and you're both from the states.

They might just be cautious and paranoid that yall are CIA trying to infiltrate their shit.

Or maybe they're just assholes. My experience with People from German heritage points to that.

I can only imagine what real Germans are like.

My bad, I'm drunk.

Funny is that I dont look like I am in the military, I have a kind of free job that is relaxed on "standards"

Also I said we emailed them so I dont think they have any room to judge us on words alone, seeing how we wanted to help and even bring extra veggie food to share.

I think they where just generally jerks that just wanted to have a "vegan bbq" cause its something cool to do before the "crust punk show". Funny how most of the crusties there didnt even eat the food..like I said, seems that things are just more for show then for activism

meh, i think 90% of crusties are lameface but it's a free country, they can do what the fuck they want.

when i was younger and lived in a punk house (11 people and shows in the basement twice a week, never again)

there was this one girl who was friends with my roommate who would always stay on the couch when she was in town.

she was nice enough and didn't bother me because she kept to herself and cleaned all the time,

but her dog was sick as shit and had worms and mad ribs showing.

it's one thing to reject a lifestyle that includes regular meals and baths but it's another thing to subject your animals to the same shit.