street punks with Hot Topic gift cards and trust funds.

Frate_Raper

Re: street punks with cell phones?

As far as someone dropping out and pursuing this lifestyle voluntarily, if you think about it there's very little difference between that and graffiti or hip hop or what have you if you're a white kid who's lived in the suburbs and never had to steal to survive, etc. I mean, I started writing graff by choice because I got interested in it, not because I was some oppressed black kid living in the ghetto and it was the only outlet for my creativity. Granted, I didn't exactly have it easy growing up but that has nothing to do with why I catch tags.

However, plenty of writers I've met over the years have tried to sell me that whole personal history revision bullshit scenario, only to have me find out later that they grew up in a split level in the hills, got a 3.5 in high school and their parents were still married.

seriously? there is no comparison. by deciding to write graffiti,the only obstacle you have to face is going to county and feeling dumb when dope dealers laugh that you have the same bail as them just for painting on something that isnt yours....

Being voluntarily homeless is completely different because you are in essence giving up food and shelter,which are kind of necessities. add to that the hygiene problems which in turn lead to illnesses and general bad health because you live in an unclean environment,eat food that isnt fit for consumption,and just in general smell like a mix of schlitz,rotten lettuce,and dirty asshole. and i can only imagine if you fuck some of these junkie squatter whores what happens to your body.

Choosing to be homeless,foul-smelling,malnourished,and probably full of filth and disease when you have a home to live in is nothing like deciding to go write your made up name on things that arent yours....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never subscribed to the idea that you have to dress a certain way to be interested in a certain type of music.

Nor the idea that if you like crust punk, that you cannot appreciate other types of music.

There was a time when I was a squatter that I would participate in political rallies/demonstrations, that I would prepare/serve meals for Food Not Bombs, that I worked at a drop-in center educating kids on how to shoot up/have weird sex/give yourself tattoos without spreading disease, I would help organize/promote shows, etc...during those times I never thought that I had to follow a specific formula of fashion to be accepted.

Once I got to be about 19, I realized that the "less punk" that I looked, the better it served me in my career of thievery.

Business are more likely to treat you like a regular person if you look like a regular person.

I am over that whole time of my life...the train hopping and being a drug addict and all of that crap.

I still go to shows.

I still know that I don't have to wear a certain style of clothing to enjoy the music, even though I don't think the German punks understand that.

They don't get the simple idea that if you go out of your way and pay to see a certain band, that you are doing it because you enjoy the band and that you don't have to be covered in patches and studs to listen to Tragedy or Phobia.

Most shows I go to, the audience looks more "punk" than the bands that they are worshiping.

Also, most people that I know that are in bands, dress/look like normal dudes...because they are in their 30s and have paid their dues and realize that it is not about fashion.

Of the people I used to travel with, the ones that are still alive or not in prison, they have all settled down.

Many have kids and jobs and mortgages.

Others have joined up and live on various plots of land in the middle of nowhere and they all work together to farm and to be self-sustaining.

People grow up and change.

That is how life works.

• Like 1

they have to text mom back in quebec they need more money for their annual 'leave quebec and wash windows for summer and be anarchist' trip.

weekend warriors.

the other day, i had a crackhead with a wind carved face ask me for change while yakking on what was most probably a pay as you go.

i gave him a nice nug with hair from a pomeranian in it.

• Like 1

i used to live with a very active anarchist until about 3 months ago and he was in no way like these assholes with shitty patches. the president of the irish anarchist party stayed on our couch multiple times and was nothing like these tools.

these guys were well organized, had a legal team that did pro-bono work for members of the party/union, well read, had an actual plan, went to demos, did a ton of shit at the g20, threw squat parties etc.

these guys dressed normally and got shit done. a good chunk of my friends squatted, dumpster dived, etc but youd never know it from looking at them. the most legit people never look the role.

seriously? there is no comparison. by deciding to write graffiti,the only obstacle you have to face is going to county and feeling dumb when dope dealers laugh that you have the same bail as them just for painting on something that isnt yours....

Being voluntarily homeless is completely different because you are in essence giving up food and shelter,which are kind of necessities. add to that the hygiene problems which in turn lead to illnesses and general bad health because you live in an unclean environment,eat food that isnt fit for consumption,and just in general smell like a mix of schlitz,rotten lettuce,and dirty asshole. and i can only imagine if you fuck some of these junkie squatter whores what happens to your body.

Choosing to be homeless,foul-smelling,malnourished,and probably full of filth and disease when you have a home to live in is nothing like deciding to go write your made up name on things that arent yours....

It's motivated by the same impulses, though. Trust me, I've spent enough time around enough writers and enough punks- hell, enough subcultures- to realize that when you take it apart it's really all the same shit.

For some people, being a fan isn't enough. They feel that they have to immerse themselves in whatever's going on because they're looking for something that's lacking in themselves in a scene, and they never find it for all kinds of reasons...eventually they grow disillusioned and they give up on the scene or themselves. The people that make it usually have a pretty good idea of who they are and why they're there...the ones who sit around all day and get fucked up and do shitty things are people who are miserable but feel stuck because they don't know what to do or where they fit in, so they dissipate and blame the world and in doing so refuse to take any responsibility for their own destinies. The punk scene can be liberating, but it can also be a trap...I'm kind of dealing with this right now in my own life in certain ways.

most crusties now a days are just that...crusties. and to thrashcat i hate to tell you, all those bands you named that are "crust punk" they are all junkies or used to be junkies as well.

Being a crust punk doesnt make you an "anarchist". It just means you dont take showers.

There are few political punks in the world today, most are now called "activists" and "left-wing lobbyists" , and most of them dont dress "punk" they look like normal people, because that is the way that they can change the system.

It's motivated by the same impulses, though. Trust me, I've spent enough time around enough writers and enough punks- hell, enough subcultures- to realize that when you take it apart it's really all the same shit.

For some people, being a fan isn't enough. They feel that they have to immerse themselves in whatever's going on because they're looking for something that's lacking in themselves in a scene, and they never find it for all kinds of reasons...eventually they grow disillusioned and they give up on the scene or themselves. The people that make it usually have a pretty good idea of who they are and why they're there...the ones who sit around all day and get fucked up and do shitty things are people who are miserable but feel stuck because they don't know what to do or where they fit in, so they dissipate and blame the world and in doing so refuse to take any responsibility for their own destinies. The punk scene can be liberating, but it can also be a trap...I'm kind of dealing with this right now in my own life in certain ways.

dont take this the wrong way,as youve come with a respectful tone in trying to persuade,but i apologize,i completely fail to understand your point. Shunning essentials for living to be cool or feel like youre part of a something is completely retarded. if someone does this,they deserve every hardship presented to them.

dont take this the wrong way,as youve come with a respectful tone in trying to persuade,but i apologize,i completely fail to understand your point. Shunning essentials for living to be cool or feel like youre part of a something is completely retarded. if someone does this,they deserve every hardship presented to them.

I agree with that. A lot of kids run away from home for good reasons but there's a lot of kids that leave because they don't want to be told that they're being unproductive shitheads...it's a tough call to make.

When I was squatting, me and the other people that held the place down did a LOT of work to make it available to people that needed it. One time some local kid showed up and told us that he had run away from home because his parents hated him and didn't want him around, etc. So we talked about it and said he could stay till he got into a halfway house. We found out that all he had to contribute- besides smoking weed and sleeping- was complaining about the (free) food we had to offer and the lack of television. Once we realized he was making no efforts to improve his situation, we told him that we weren't there to make him comfortable and that instead of TV we had plenty of projects he could do to pass the time. Naturally he bitched about that and said we were asking too much of him, and we told him that there were no guests and that everyone had to pitch in and help out or leave.

Eventually his dad showed up when he was there and we talked with him for a while- as it turned out his dad was a pretty nice guy and that the kid was doing the same thing at home...he begged us to let him stay but we told him that he wasn't ready to live with us and that we weren't there to take care of him.

I THINK ITS SOME KINDA COMMUNITY THAT ISNT PAYING TAXES AND ITS PRIVATE LAND, I DONT THINK THEYRE PAYING THE PROPERTY TAXES, I KNOW THEY DONT HAVE LICENSES OR INSURANCE AND THEIR KIDS DONT HAVE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS

IMA LOOK FOR THE LINK, ITS A GOOD WATCH AND NOT TOO LONG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KIrb_ASPuw

IM PRETTY SURE THATS THE ONE

THEYRE ALL GOOD AND IF ITS NOT YOULL PROBABLY WATCH IT AND TAKE IT UPON YOURSELF TO FIND IT HAHA

If you watch the rest of that documentary, they state that they have to put down some money to build their houses, and that they're risking their asses by not paying taxes.

Good shit though, thanks for posting that.

I recommend others watch that whole documentary all the way through too.

YEAH IM SAYIN THATS ABOUT AS EXTREME AS IT GETS

BUT THEYRE PUSHING IT AND THATS MORE THAN MOST SOFT ASS AMERICANS ARE DOWN FOR.

SHIT TALKIN AND BEGGING FOR CHANGE TO BUY A HANDLE OF EVAN WILLIAMS TO "FIGHT THE POWER" UNDER A BRIDGE SEEMS A LOT MORE PETTY THAN IT EVER DID AFTER SEEING THAT SHIT.

BUT ALL HIS DOCUMENTARIES ARE REALLY GOOD, EVEN IF ITS A TOPIC YOU DONT THINK YOU WOULD BE INTERESTED IN HE HAS AN AMAZING WAY OF MAKING IT INTERESTING AND SEMI-PERSONAL

YEAH IM SAYIN THATS ABOUT AS EXTREME AS IT GETS

BUT THEYRE PUSHING IT AND THATS MORE THAN MOST SOFT ASS AMERICANS ARE DOWN FOR.

SHIT TALKIN AND BEGGING FOR CHANGE TO BUY A HANDLE OF EVAN WILLIAMS TO "FIGHT THE POWER" UNDER A BRIDGE SEEMS A LOT MORE PETTY THAN IT EVER DID AFTER SEEING THAT SHIT.

BUT ALL HIS DOCUMENTARIES ARE REALLY GOOD, EVEN IF ITS A TOPIC YOU DONT THINK YOU WOULD BE INTERESTED IN HE HAS AN AMAZING WAY OF MAKING IT INTERESTING AND SEMI-PERSONAL

Real talk.

I kinda skimmed over the crusty talk and read the bits when people were talking about "no that's not punk this is punk. No that's not punk..." stuff.

This is where the idea of the internet and our "hive mind" goes horribly wrong. You guys are arguing over what the correct definition of the word "punk" is when you should all realize punk's gonna mean a lot of different things to a lot of people. People's idea of what's "Punk," is different because everywhere you grew up it was different. Not only that, but where you grew up had it's own different groups of kids who thought differently and thought different things were "punk." You cant tell someone their wrong and their idea of what's punk is wrong, because you sound like a fucking idiot. Just like the dude who said X band was a sellout because they no longer played at venues so small you knew everybody at the concert.

So guess what, the music was good, hit a renaissance period in the late 80's/90's and now everybody listens to it on some level.

Tin foil hat time: Contentious threads like this make me realize that some day soon we will shed our pluralistic society and all think exactly the same. Threads like these are simply the growing pains of our soon-to-be "hive mind."

I know a few really cool people who most would consider crust punks, but all the cool ones are pretty normal people. As with most things, its dumb people who give it all a bad name. Granted, i don't think crusties ever had a good name, but trustfund kids who try to dress really punk, junkies, and hot topic faggots all give punk in general a bad name. Most of the punks i get along with and go out of my way to interact with at shows are just your average person who happens to like punk music, working a normal job and not being some homeless scumbag. But theres always a handful of them too, trying to argue about paying $5 for a show with two touring bands talking about how they "saved up all week but had to eat today" so they don't have any money, when in reality they're a. junkies who spend all their money on drugs or b. rich kids who spend all of mommy and daddy's money on shitty beer and drugs