street punks with Hot Topic gift cards and trust funds.

Frate_Raper

I aint gonna front like I'm some hardcore dude, but I'm pretty sure that you just summed up the hardcore scene in general.

Also, aint Converge from Boston? Or do you hate them?

no, i like them, but i think there's a difference between bands that are from boston, and bands that are proud to be from boston. check how many shows converge has had in the past few years actually IN boston without making anyone pay a fucking arm and a leg. not very many at all. actually barely any.

and thrashcat. you're pretty much unable to walk through harvard square during the summer without 500 crusties asking you for a dollar. i bet if you do it right, you can fuck one of the cuter ones for like 20 bucks or so. just wrap your shit up and make sure she doesn't have a 'crust dog' or it'll bite your dick off. those things don't fuck around! if you can bring your dog into trainyards, and it can hop on a train from the ground, then i'm not doing shit that'll look like i'm trying to hurt it's master.

but if you give the dog 20 bucks too, i think it'll look the other way.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, and i don't even know if they're from "boston". maybe the outskirts or something, i haven't really heard of anyone mentioning them ever around here, and i live in the part where the shows pretty much exclusively happen nowadays (at least punk/metal).

the only band that's represented boston to an allowable extent is aerosmith (fuck the dropkick murphys). and aerosmith lived in my girlfriend's old apartment/shot the video of sweet emotion in her basement. did not gangbang her though, which is disappointing because i'm missing out on an all-star aerosmith lawsuit.

oh well.

no, i like them, but i think there's a difference between bands that are from boston, and bands that are proud to be from boston. check how many shows converge has had in the past few years actually IN boston without making anyone pay a fucking arm and a leg. not very many at all. actually barely any.

MORE IMPORTANT ISSUES ARE ARGUED ABOUT ON 'MY SUPER SWEET 16'

oh, and i don't even know if they're from "boston". maybe the outskirts or something, i haven't really heard of anyone mentioning them ever around here, and i live in the part where the shows pretty much exclusively happen nowadays (at least punk/metal).

the only band that's represented boston to an allowable extent is aerosmith (fuck the dropkick murphys). and aerosmith lived in my girlfriend's old apartment/shot the video of sweet emotion in her basement. did not gangbang her though, which is disappointing because i'm missing out on an all-star aerosmith lawsuit.

oh well.

You're saying that AEROSMITH reps Boston harder than Dropkick Murphys? :lol:

absolutely.

and i don't know about you, but i like to see shows, but when the local bands charge you 40 fucking bucks every time to see them, what's fair about that? converge charges 20something at least every time, and if it's a show with more than 6 bands, expect to pay more than 30. i mean son of a bitch, i paid 18 dollars to see dragonforce, but a show down the street in a little motherfucking hut of a club will cost me double. and don't even get me started on the dropkick murphys. if they're SOOOO PROUD OF BOSTON, why do they fucking charge 40+ a ticket at some shows? i mean fuck, they could sell two tickets and spend the money that they need for that show. 20 bucks in gas is MORE than generous for a ride to/from southie in a van to anywhere in boston. splurging once in awhile for a show isn't bad though, aerosmith is one of those exceptions. any band that's been around for awhile and paid it's dues, that's more than enough excuse for me to drop some green on a show (and in my eyes, the murphys HAVE FUCKING NOT. you wanna bitch about working class everything? charge a working class price, faggots)

example. i'd rather see a local band that completely goes batshit insane and knows shit-tons of people at the show, than some faggots from outside of the city going to play a show, knows nobody there, and acts like they they own the shit, and have to be stacked with security and UCs because they think shit will be going down because it's a metal/punk/whatever show.

welcome to boston. one of the most fucked up musical climates in the country.

but please, since you're quick to provoke a conversation, what about bands in your city? or shows. at all. i'd be happy to hear about it.

about people charging a grip for shows, who the fuck is buying music nowadays? not me. if bands want to make some loot, they probably need to charge more for shows.

itunes, my man. itunes. most people are hung up on bandwidth, and how long it takes to download that shit. besides, there's always merch. i don't know a single band that relies on ticket sales to float them. it's all merch at the show itself.

cheaper tickets = more merch sold. the clubs don't get a cut of the merch either, so its straight to the pockets of the band.

absolutely.

and i don't know about you, but i like to see shows, but when the local bands charge you 40 fucking bucks every time to see them, what's fair about that? converge charges 20something at least every time, and if it's a show with more than 6 bands, expect to pay more than 30. i mean son of a bitch, i paid 18 dollars to see dragonforce, but a show down the street in a little motherfucking hut of a club will cost me double. and don't even get me started on the dropkick murphys. if they're SOOOO PROUD OF BOSTON, why do they fucking charge 40+ a ticket at some shows? i mean fuck, they could sell two tickets and spend the money that they need for that show. 20 bucks in gas is MORE than generous for a ride to/from southie in a van to anywhere in boston. splurging once in awhile for a show isn't bad though, aerosmith is one of those exceptions. any band that's been around for awhile and paid it's dues, that's more than enough excuse for me to drop some green on a show (and in my eyes, the murphys HAVE FUCKING NOT. you wanna bitch about working class everything? charge a working class price, faggots)

example. i'd rather see a local band that completely goes batshit insane and knows shit-tons of people at the show, than some faggots from outside of the city going to play a show, knows nobody there, and acts like they they own the shit, and have to be stacked with security and UCs because they think shit will be going down because it's a metal/punk/whatever show.

welcome to boston. one of the most fucked up musical climates in the country.

but please, since you're quick to provoke a conversation, what about bands in your city? or shows. at all. i'd be happy to hear about it.

Not for nothin, but you're REALLY sounding exactly like the whiney soap opera bitches that you were complaining about.

You're bitching about having to pay money to see a band.

I can't believe you said AEROSMITH reps Boston harder than Dropkick Murphys! :lol:

I'm willing to bet that most people don't even know where Aerosmith is from, but anyone who's ever even heard of Dropkick Murphys knows exactly where they're from.

And I could give a fuck about bands from my city. I stopped going to shows and hanging out with "hardcore kids" back in the 90's for the same reasons that you stated you hate your citys scene for. Turmoil and I Hate You were great back then though. Ink&Dagger were aight, even though they were on some weirdo shit. Badluck13 shows were fucking epic.

That's about all that sticks out in my mind at this point.

itunes, my man. itunes. most people are hung up on bandwidth, and how long it takes to download that shit. besides, there's always merch. i don't know a single band that relies on ticket sales to float them. it's all merch at the show itself.

cheaper tickets = more merch sold. the clubs don't get a cut of the merch either, so its straight to the pockets of the band.

Maybe some bands that feel like they've been in the game long enough and have established themselves enough and are older and have bills to pay and mouths to feed feel like they deserve better than to survive off t-shirt sales.

I can guarantee you're not going to see Aerosmith play at your local dive for $6.00 a pop.

Maybe some bands that feel like they've been in the game long enough and have established themselves enough and are older and have bills to pay and mouths to feed feel like they deserve better than to survive off t-shirt sales.

I can guarantee you're not going to see Aerosmith play at your local dive for $6.00 a pop.

well, granted. but that's all part of being in a band. crass being an example of a band that didn't want to alienate their audience (as much as i'm not a big fan, they stuck to their guns). it's when bands lose touch with what made them popular in the first place, the next thing to go is also the friendly price that made them good with people around here in the first place.

ex. municipal waste. 5 years ago i saw them, cost me 10 bucks, one of the best bands i've ever seen in my life, and one of the best shows i've ever seen in my life. played with a legendary thrash band (hirax), and generally shredded the fuck out of this place, and even got the security to back down. now, like 5 months ago, they come around. ok, that could seem cool. 1. at the house of blues, so no moshing, stage diving, or blunt smoking in the middle of the set, no weed-wizard, no boogie boards, nothing. 2. damn near 25-30 bucks to see them. 3. LAMB OF FUCKING GOD IS PLAYING THE SHOW TOO.

we went from having one of the best punk scenes in the entire fucking country, and having pretty much every city on the eastern side of the US except nyc wish they had the scene we had to being primarily junky-ass bands.

p.s. badluck13 is naaaaaaaaaaasty. the good kind. not 'project whore' nasty.

i also deserve to be able to have fun and mosh like most of their songs say to do, instead i get thrown out of the show for crowdsurfing when they used to PROVIDE BOOGIE BOARDS TO CROWDSURF WITH. especially with no posted 'no moshing' signs. that's such shit, and it happens all the time. anyone who's seen them 5+ years ago knows this. they pick such shitty venues now, and it's not actually WORTH the money. if it's a good show, and it truly is going to be awesome, i'll drop down up to like 50 bucks, but not for a local band that plays all the time.

well, granted. but that's all part of being in a band. crass being an example of a band that didn't want to alienate their audience (as much as i'm not a big fan, they stuck to their guns). it's when bands lose touch with what made them popular in the first place, the next thing to go is also the friendly price that made them good with people around here in the first place.

ex. municipal waste. 5 years ago i saw them, cost me 10 bucks, one of the best bands i've ever seen in my life, and one of the best shows i've ever seen in my life. played with a legendary thrash band (hirax), and generally shredded the fuck out of this place, and even got the security to back down. now, like 5 months ago, they come around. ok, that could seem cool. 1. at the house of blues, so no moshing, stage diving, or blunt smoking in the middle of the set, no weed-wizard, no boogie boards, nothing. 2. damn near 25-30 bucks to see them. 3. LAMB OF FUCKING GOD IS PLAYING THE SHOW TOO.

we went from having one of the best punk scenes in the entire fucking country, and having pretty much every city on the eastern side of the US except nyc wish they had the scene we had to being primarily junky-ass bands.

p.s. badluck13 is naaaaaaaaaaasty. the good kind. not 'project whore' nasty.

Hey man, niggas gotta eat. Especially if they wanna be able to keep doing what they love as grown ass adults with bills to pay.

Not everybody can devote their lives to poverty forever.

Just cause you gotta charge more at the door, doesn't mean you've sold out.

Especially when you're still playing the same music.

A thrash band playing at a venue where you can't slamdance sounds kinda shady though.

I haven't been to a show that cost more than 12 dollars in years. and i go to a ton of shows with a lot of out of town and even out of country bands. As crack said, unless its a house venue, most of the money isn't going to the band anyways. Touring punk bands are making a few bucks from the cover charge, but the vast majority of any money they make on tour is from vinyl and shirts. Most venues/bars/whatever raising the show price is so they can make bigger money, it generally has nothing to do with paying the bands. If you want to support a band, buy some merch from them at a show, or toss them a couple bucks for gas and food.

Infact, bands end up paying the venue at a lot of shows where the ticket prices are expensive because the venue will have a set amount that goes to them, and then any extra money goes to the band. And if that set amount isn't reached, the person who booked the show or the band will have to cover it, because ticket prices were dumb expensive and people didn't want to come out. Expensive ticket prices generally have nothing to do with trying to help the band, its all about venues wanting to make a few extra bucks, and as a result alienating a ton of people who would've come out and probably bought some drinks anyways.

Unless you're some really big name band, its pretty much up to the venue. I mean, i'm sure Aerosmith or any other band of that magnitude has some sway in what ticket prices are like for their shows, but they also know they're going to sell out every single show regardless and have no problem making the venue good money. For your average touring punk band, its all up to the venue.

I'm going to a show on sunday, 3 local bands, a band from texas, a band from kansas and a band from Italy, and its only $7. Since its a house show, most of the money will be going to the touring bands and a bit to the locals to cover some of their gas money. I'd have no problem paying 10 or 12, but since its so cheap to go to most punk shows i make an effort to buy some merch from touring bands i like. I don't know about other cities, but it seems like the guys booking the shows here and the houses putting them on know that if they keep the show cheap, more people will buy records or shirts and more money actually goes to the band.

On the other hand though, i understand most genres of music don't do vinyl, but thats a huge thing amongst the punk community. and because bands can sell 7"s for $4 or 5, LPs for 10ish, and shirts for 8-10, its cheap enough that any collector/fan can afford it easily, unlike bands trying to sell cds for $15 when everyone already has mp3s.

To be fair though, there are a lot of punk and hardcore bands who got a little bit of fame and let it go to their heads, then they just play shows with other "big name" bands, won't play shows with locals when they're touring, make a conscious effort to only book at bigger venues because they think they're above playing some punk house or record store venue that could easily accommodate them if they played with some good locals instead of touring with a band that is shitty but they know will draw a crowd. But, people gotta make money, so i'm not too mad that bands are trying to make money on tour instead of selling all their merch and still coming home more broke than they started. It is kinda funny when bands like that constantly preach/talk/sing about middle and lower class shit though, when they're going out of their way to make it hard for those people to come to their shows.

2742-l.jpg

"The Pit" isn't really like it was years back is it?

I never venture down that way anymore, but the past couple time's I've been in the area going Hong Kong or The People's Republik I didn't see any punks whatsoever.

It remember that was the spot when I'd venture into town to get my nerd on at Cybersmith when I was a little'un.