Surf serf eberyday surf.

Tavaruawon

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was just surfing over the weekend, spent all night sitting and drinking on a beach waiting for the sun to rise so we could catch the tide at 5am, salt water sure kicks your ass when you've been drinkin through the night.

then we went for a bike ride down this strip to grab a blunt and i flipped over the handle bars twice, had the chain fall off once, and smashed into a street light head first.

hooray for booze, and surfing, well trying to surf.

• Like 1

Jordy Smith pulls arguably the best surfing move ever

Jordy Smith is a 21-year-old pro surfer from South Africa. He's in his second year on the Association of Surfing Professionals tour. And off the coast of Indonesia, he just pulled what GrindTV is calling "the most high-performance maneuver ever executed on a wave". It's called a "rodeo flip," and it's pretty insane.

See for yourself as Smith executes a high-flying rotating-flip into a reverse 360.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/post/Jordy-Smith-pulls-arguably-the-best-surfing-move?urn=top,171898

lol, get the fuck out of here.

Act like Surf Ninjas aint your favorite movie.

.... That Rodeo Flip ...

Kelly Slater pulled it off years ago.

Flea, Ratboy, Barney and a few other SC loc's have been pulling moves like that for a while now. Shit that most kids can't even do on a skateboard. Shovits, kickflips. Not easy on a 5'10. Still a dope move though.

About Seaside; It is the best left in the US. As well as one of the best left points in the world. The reason it's so slept on? Cold water, sharks, and locals. The first time I surfed Seaside somebody slashed all four of my tires and waxed my windshield. It's not a good idea to show up with Cali plates on your car. I'll find flicks later.

Mitch, if you're talking about checking the lake for waves- It is very rare for there to be any kind of surfable swell near Chicago. It does happen though. Some of the more frequented spots are in Wisconsin (Racine and north). Basically you need to watch the weather- wherever a sustained wind is blowing on the lake- shoot for the opposite side. There is of course, a lot more to it than that. But explaining how waves are formed is probably best left to Wiki. Fetch is the key word here.

CR: Thanks! I ran up the coast, chasing that South too. Shit was money! Got flicks of Fullers in Big Sur that I'll find later. Double overhead and offshore... first time I've ever been in the water with Orcas. I'll be honest and say I'd rather be in the water with Sharks than Killer Whales... fuuuuck. I only saw three of 'em, my boy getting photos on the cliff said there were at least eight in the pod.

^Word, I had never seen anyone ride away quite like that. I recall Christian Fletcher pulling some crazy shit like that too...could be mistaken though?

Twinky GTFO, you are the one gaying up this thread with your homo antics.

Yeah Fletch was one of the first to start pulling all kinds of airs with a clean style.

The advancement of skating and snowboarding have really pushed surfing to an entirely new level. For a while shit was getting stale, it was all about tubes. Now you see kids boosting all over the place.

Hope this flick works:

cad_seaside.jpg

^Seaside at about head high. Goofy footer's heaven. Shit gets brutal at double overhead and will hold even the biggest of swells. Whoever took this flick is lucky to have lived to tell about it. I'm not kidding, at all, when I talk about the Seaside locals. Fucking Oregon meth heads combined with that lumberjack mentality. Now I carry a spare OR license plate that I switch out whenever I travel up that way. No more waxed windows :lol: :D

Fullers in big Sur.

3479873107_098488e75d.jpg

This 'used' to be a secret. Not anymore... so I don't feel too bad about posting on it. It's still very hard to find. Even though it is visible from Highway 1. And the 2'000 foot cliff you have to hike down weeds out the pussies. EPIC south swell spot. Shit holds up to like, 20 feet. Breaks right into the fucking cliff. I've had mad tube time here.

Random side note: About a week ago I'm walking down the trail to this place and I saw a plant trees streak on a piece of driftwood. Nigga is up in the most cutty of cuts. Dude must surf.

• Like 1

lol i was browsing around and found this

"Park in the beach lot at the south end of town...

You'll be right at the base of the point....leave an armed guard at your car if you don't have Oregon license plates....Take mace or a waterproof 9mm out to the break with you.....Don't take any trouble from anybody and let them know you're armed!....Good Luck!"

lol

Shit is true mayn. These Seaside cats know that they have a good thing and want to keep it uncrowded. Hence the localism. It's enough bad vibes to keep most kooks out of the water.

You peep that Lincoln City vid? 25-30 feet and peeling!

Like I was saying, the Pacific NW is very slept on as far as surfing goes. British Columbia is off the chiznains. Tofino area... And there are good waves around pretty much every corner all the way down. Alaska and the Aleutian islands are holding as well. Keep in mind that the same exact waves which slam into Hawaii also slam into the Oregon coast. Generated by the same Aleutian storms. The main difference is the cold water and the weather. Winter is when the ocean really comes alive in the Pacific.

For us, surfing is not a summer activity, as most would believe.

Mitch ill pm you later but ya the south end of the lake gets good. Cant name spots. But all the beaches they just lifted the bans on are booty most of the time. I was out on a head high day and it was 85 out and peeling. 7 guys out, most ive seen anywhere. But those are the super rare summer days when the cold fronts come in. Sept, oct nov are best. Ive seen it offshore also, which is strange. Those guys in minnesota get it real good, but freeze their asses off in the process. Im not about to walk through a foot of snow to go surf with huge chunks of ice floating around.

2197084995_3bd5c1a472.jpg?v=0

These lefts look fucking scrumptious. To me, the snow on the ground makes it even more inviting. Throw me a Hotline five mil, booties and gloves. I'll be set. One of the most memorable sessions I ever had was in Crescent City (Cali/Oregon border) when it was snowing with a stiff offshore breeze.

One of the strangest things about surfing fresh water is the buoyancy factor. No salt = less buoyancy. Bigger, thicker boards are the rule here.

Tow-in surfing off of a glacier... this shit is fucking gnar. Alaska:

scottd_090503_7245e-550x367.jpg

scottd_090503_7211e-550x367.jpg

A few years back, a team of pros made an expedition to Antarctica and actually scored some good waves.

I'll update with flicks when I get back from Camping.

<--- Tahoe bound, peace!

• Like 1

Anyone try the rusty piranha yet? thinking about ordering that,,,or a lost fish i found

Ive had friends that rode piranhas and they all had delamination problems and/or shitty light weight glass. If you are gona spend 500 on a board, why buy a board off the rack unless it is exactly what you want. I would rather talk to a good local shaper so you can have input on every aspect from rocker, to concave, to thickness of glass on the deck, ect..

Custom shape ftw.

Anyone try the rusty piranha yet? thinking about ordering that,,,or a lost fish i found

yo my bad, I didn't mean moogle I meant mosluggo. Yeah man, I was outta town for a bit, but I'm back in the chi. I mostly surf greenwood in evanston and cliffs up in winetka, there's a pretty dedicated crew thats always on it when its firing. You'd be more than welcome to come by with the new fish haha. But yeah the southside really is where it's at....

Ive had friends that rode piranhas and they all had delamination problems and/or shitty light weight glass. If you are gona spend 500 on a board, why buy a board off the rack unless it is exactly what you want. I would rather talk to a good local shaper so you can have input on every aspect from rocker, to concave, to thickness of glass on the deck, ect..

Custom shape ftw.

Um i really dont have that option seeing as i live in CHICAGO. But i was planning on ordering a fish in the 6 4 range. The last board i had was a 7 0 funshape but im over that. it was like a mini boat. I need something to get around easier. And from what ive heard the tufflites are more bouyant (?) than regular epoxy. And obviously stronger. So thats what im looking for.

Yo suds ill be out that way as soon as i get my shit together. Ya i know i been saying that for the past year and a half

I went up to greenwood about 4 years ago about 5 times. It was pretty decent. Havent been to that other spot. But This spot south of chicago gets goooooood.