Are you a new member due to Juxtapoz?

earl broclo ESQ

Lol, never heard of ozone. D4T ShiT Iz tItE Do! There have been quite a few graff mags that got all mainstream and went downhill, IMO. Juxtapoz is still decent, I never really considered it a graff mag. Some of the other shit that has been mentioned though, straight garbage.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're safe. I have a bunch of issues, but I used to get them for free from a job. Now I'll only buy one if I'm going on bus ride and see someone I'm interested in, mentioned on the cover. I can agree the issues are annoying.

You know what magazine really fucking blows huge bull cock? Beautiful Decay.

fairspot-beautiful-decay-magazine.jpg

I bought this issue,

decay_issue_c.jpg

a while back, and it was mostly trains and walls. They had a really good interview with David Choe, and covered decent music. So a couple years ago, I was showing my girlfriend the issue, and said "I wonder what happened to this magazine?" So one of my x-mas gifts was a subscription. We started getting the issues, and it was loaded with lame art, and really fucking lame critiques. That magazine can eat a bag of shit.

I got that Decay issue showing some Twist Exhibit.

Pretty nice.

Thats about all I got though, I have one Juxtapoz issue about NYC graffiti.

I think you're safe. I have a bunch of issues, but I used to get them for free from a job. Now I'll only buy one if I'm going on bus ride and see someone I'm interested in, mentioned on the cover. I can agree the issues are annoying.

You know what magazine really fucking blows huge bull cock? Beautiful Decay.

....a while back, and it was mostly trains and walls. They had a really good interview with David Choe, and covered decent music. So a couple years ago, I was showing my girlfriend the issue, and said "I wonder what happened to this magazine?" So one of my x-mas gifts was a subscription. We started getting the issues, and it was loaded with lame art, and really fucking lame critiques. That magazine can eat a bag of shit.

Aw man, some of my tags and posters wound up in that mag in 2003. It doesn't surprise me that it took a turn for the worse. A lot of mags from that era suck ass now if they're still around at all.

"While You Were Sleeping" and "Life Sucks Die" were probably my favorites until they started to suck...I'm not going to lie and say "Yo, I was all about 12 oz in da 90s cuzz" because I only saw one issue (OS GEMEOS). Nice mag, though. I respect Raven for ending it on a high note. "Mass Appeal" was okay till around 2002 or so. "Can Control" and "The Line's Toughest" were all right in the 90s, but they were kind of raw.

I had the first issue of Juxtapoz along with the META interview. I haven't looked at a graffiti magazine in years...in fact you could day that I am a shunner. I was recently "forced" to watch a graff video...all it made me do was yawn a lot and say "These guys suck" about 50 or 60 times. It was slightly better once I turned off the sound, though I still cut it short about halfway through.

I don't consider Juxtapoz to be a graff magazine per se. I've met some of the people that put it together through a distro in SF various friends of mine have worked at over the years...their hearts are in the right place but I think they're always a little bit behind the curve (3-6 months) when it comes to what's really hot in art.

As far as people migrating here from there, just don't ask any stupid questions and you should be all right. Bonus points will be awarded for funny and/or nude content.

i wouldnt even rack that magazine.

hah.

i dug the issue that came out a minute ago on seventhletter,

although ive never bought an issue i do tend to loiter in bookstores for large amounts of time reading comics,manga,video game magazines and at one point i read stephen kings stand in the course of 3 days.

jux has pretty much been slowly going down hill since 2001.

i have a request though , i remember being on a greyhound in the summer of 2000 from dc to ca and met a dude from sf that said he wrote cosmo and said he was featured in jux like 99 or 98 ..dude showed me how to make my D's not so shitty ...give me a holler if somebody can find a back issue link or something

hahahaha Ealr concerned DAO nega propped him

Hahaha, for the record, I was not concerned about this. Just stating the fact that dude did give me one.

DAO --you did. I remember. It was before I was a mod, and it was over something I said to someone. I remember I said it as a joke, but you took it serious an gave me some message like "FUCK THAT SHIT!" Obviously it's not a big deal, I thought it was actually funny.

I don't consider Juxtapoz to be a graff magazine per se.

I remember when it first came out, and to me, it looked like it was geared towards the tattoo and rockabilly creative type. I don't know when Roger Gastman got involved with Juxtapoz, but I'm sure he had something to do with any serious influx of graffiti. It seems as the whole street artist, contemporary pop artist, and limited edition toy cultures grew more public, Juxtapoz just changed with it. Maybe that's what they had to do to survive? I don't think the magazine is a horrible piece of trash, compared to some magazines out there, but sometimes issues are just boring. Boring artists talking about boring shit, with no personality.

But really, how many washed out big eyed painters do we need to read about?

redbutterflyferrets.jpg

3170518914_2f2a7600a2_o.jpg

that dude skinner in the juxtapoz out this month has some really crazy stuff, mq also has an article in it.

thought it was pretty cool, small world shit and what not. and if you look really closely at the upper

right side of the kiosk on the front cover there is a 12ozprophet tag on the roof. its my bathroom reading

material so i get time to look around for the obscure shit on it.