What's in a name?

john_gacy

This story was sent to me by a friend from the rails, kind of amusing. I'm sure you've all heard of some stupid names people have named their kids (after cars, booze, etc.) so feel throw yours down here.

How would you pronounce this child's name?

"Le-a"

Leah?? NO

Lee - A?? NOPE

Lay - a?? NO

Lei?? Guess Again.

This child attends a school in Detroit, MI.. Her mother is irate because everyone is getting her name wrong.

It's pronounced "Ledasha", When the Mother was asked about the pronunciation of the name, she said, "the dash don't be silent."

SO, if you see something come across your desk like this please remember to pronounce the dash.

If they axe you why, tell them the dash don't be silent.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I read this book called Freakonomics and it has a whole chapter based about how black people who refuse to give their kids normal names are only fucking them out of jobs they would otherwise be qualified for, but they'll never even get a call back because of the name on the resume

this bitch is a perfect example

you want to name your kid Ledasha? make her first name Kimberley and give her a fighting chance

Sadly Papi I don't call bullshit, I have met people or known people with some pretty ridiculous names, whites included.

Has nothing to do with ethnicity, just retarded parents. Hell I could be a wonderbread mascot and I think the name Toby is stupid.

Not to mention names like Stardust, any girl named after a month, and wolf

Sadly Papi I don't call bullshit, I have met people or known people with some pretty ridiculous names, whites included.

Has nothing to do with ethnicity, just retarded parents. Hell I could be a wonderbread mascot and I think the name Toby is stupid.

Not to mention names like Stardust, any girl named after a month, and wolf

oh I agree i've heard mad retarded names but to believe le-a is pronouced ladesha becose "the dash dont be silent" is too far fetched for me to believe. come on, think about it. it sounds like a joke a corny white person would make

Well this was sent to me, but Papi just may be right. On the other hand, while checking it out I found these:

E-: E…what? You’d think if you had to name your kid after a letter, Jay would be much better than this one, which was selected by parents in Washington. And while we’re (grudgingly) willing to accept the use of apostrophes in baby names, we can’t say the same for the hyphen. At least not when there isn’t any more name to follow it.

Superman: No explanation necessary for why this New Zealand name made the list, but how about the story behind it? The parents’ first choice was 4Real (as in, “when we saw him on the ultrasound, we realized he was for real”), but government officials didn’t go for it. Mom and dad settled on Superman but insist they’ll still refer to him as 4Real. Way to get the last word in.

My friend’s mom knows this lady who named her child Penelope. Not that bad except she thought it was pronounced like the melon cantelope

Jermajesty - This would be a Jackson brother that would think to come up with a name like this claiming to be royalty.

Meconium - Okay, I saw this one and it just had to top my list. The word Meconium is what they call the dark fecal matter that a newborn passes during or after birth, why would you name your child after baby poo? Perhaps someone should have explained to this parent what Meconium really was before they let her put it on her poor child's birth certificate.

Diva Muffin - This name came from the same family as Moon Unit, I guess that would explain some of the strangeness.

At one of the clinics I work at in a rather rural area, we have a little girl named Female (Fem-all'-ay)(But the doc already named here here...), twin boys named Orangejello and Lemonjello (O-ran'-jal-oh and Lee-mon'-jal-oh)

Ive heard 'maggots' spoken like 'magnets' or 'mangus'. Ive also seen people write 'smudges' as 'smuggest' and 'transverse' as 'transfer'. It comes from a lack of education. I'm sure it doesnt always apply to blacks although all three of those instances were with blacks. To be honest people who mispronounce words really grind my gears.

I havent read a single response but that first post and the whole dash thing is totally fucking stupid and the parents should be shot. To think that her name must be pronounced with the fucking dash...ugh thats fucking stupidity. That isnt how languages work ,asdfjkbasdjksbdsjkabdsajkbasjkabdajksdbasjkdlbasdjklasbdjksabdasjkdbsajkbdkjasbdkjasbdjkasbdjksbjksabdasdbasjkdsadb :DASH:

asadjkasbdjklsbdasldasbdk sorry im drunk and angry now.