R.I.P. IZ the wiz

autoteller

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know whats scary and i was just discussing with another writer.

alot of us cats are the second generation.

Iz and all them were the ground breakers

did they just shut the game down so much all of us after can never get the respect they had (minus a few)?

That's a damn good question. Only time can answer it though.

For me, the "art" in graffiti is getting your name up everywhere.

Most of my favorite writers don't do many burners or characters.

So going all city for a decade or two can always get the most props.

Being one of the first to do though, it puts you above those who follow IMHO.

I mean, none of us would just take it upon ourselves to go write if we didn't see someone else do it.

None of us would take what we do, anything were doing up to whatever level we do it at if it wasn't for pioneers.

I guess king cornbread gets props for getting the "graffiti as we know it" ball rolling before there was a ball.

That ball rolled faster by 100 fold though when IZ got a hold of it and a few others from his generation.

By now that ball is rolling so fast it would be almost impossible to say someone had as much to do with it's speed as they did.

No Homo on using "ball"

R.I.P. again though, and my full respect.

• Like 1

Iz the Wiz @ Tuff City Tattoos

| Print | E-mail

Wednesday, 17 June 2009 14:49

Behind an unassuming tattoo parlor in the Bronx, a meeting of legends took place. They were there to pay their respects to the master of the graffiti world, Iz the Wiz. The setting was perfect. It looked like a block party with Jimi Hendrix blaring and 40s in hands. Walls covered in vibrant colors, depicting everything from straight tags to women showing off their “assets.” A subway train was taken apart and propped up against the wall. These were to be Iz’s canvases. But the scene was more about a reunion of players in the game than just a glorification of one man.

There were artists there who defined the movement during their respective decades starting from the ’70s to the present. Everyone there had their own story. Every person carried a piece of history with them and they were there to share it with each other. Each artist carried around a black book that they were passing around to others, having them sign their signature tags. Each signature was s sign of respect. There was one kid from Connecticut who came to see his idols. A grin never left his face as he passed his book to each one, gaining more and more signatures, and gathering more bits of history.

Although it was a friendly environment, many of the artists could point to someone who covered up one of their pieces, and little bits of animosity were still present. There are rules to the game. If artists tag their name, another one can come along and add to it, but covering it is a whole other story.

If you asked any person what has changed about the game, they would say the rules and regulations. One artist talked about how back in the ’80s he was caught for tagging and he was slapped with a fine of $58.42. Today it’s considered a felony.

With every underground movement there is a stigma, and it would be easy to classify these artists as delinquents. One of the artists, who goes

by CES, was contacted by detectives to decipher tags by gangs, but for him it was almost offensive because his art is not gang affiliated.

Iz was rather illusive during his time at the parlor. In the beginning, he sat for autographs, but the Wiz is getting older and is much weaker than he once was, and become tired shortly after. He is a sick man, and some say it’s from the lead that surrounded him from his days of painting. Many of the old timers said they felt the effects of their years underground too. But the movement is out in the open with many artists now wearing masks for protection. Walls are commissioned for art; some men travel the world spray painting for crowds.

Although many of the spray painters lament that they miss the thrill of sneaking around at night, and waking up in the morning to see their work on the subway trains of New York. If you asked anybody they would tell you that Iz covered the most territory out of anyone they knew. Iz put in the work, and he earned his respect with each train he covered. And that day behind the tattoo parlor Iz brought together a community of artists, and proved that graffiti art can produce a family.

Words by Jenna Browning

Photos by Jim Kane

• Like 1

but if you think of a proverbial ball rolling

you think of a snowball

so who from the second generation made as big an impact on the snowball as the ones who started it?

do you think in another 10 years the writers we look up to whom are second generation will have books/stories etc written about them?

its kind of weird how aside from magazines who cover people CURRENTLY crushing theres not a collective way of documenting people who came after put in a lot of work and are still active.

it would be like only having baseball cards of players from the original era.

or Flare only making cards for Legends of basketball.

"Call it what you want. Just a lotta rock, lotta steel; tomb, dungeon, under the city.

A lotta trains, a lotta fun, a lotta art; art that's gonna be a part of New York's history forever."

Rest In Peace Iz the Wiz.

A King beyond words, a founder of a movement, a part of New York and graffiti's history forever.