weird ass food appreciation thread

Guest 50million

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i grew up in nicarauga, we had some stuff growing up that was fun to tell people about when we moved here to "El Unite"

2796690085_dd5e866b98.jpg?v=0

MORONGA- depending on where you are, it could be a latin american from of blood sausage or simply rice in fried pigs blood. super good.

mondongo.jpg

Mondongo- pig intenstines, a very popular soup. tripe i believe it was referred to.

indio.jpg

Indio Viejo- is not a weird food per ce, but its historical background is more interesting. the plate's name is translated to "old indian" and when the conquistadors came over they discovered human farming for yummies sake.

553140408_fffa55f330.jpg

so they werent hatched yet, nor were they even close, but i have eaten a sea turlte egg bofre. now before i get blasted, i must say that 1) the people i was with had a large bag of them that would have been and was eaten in its entirety. 2) you only live once, and 3) you eat them raw, sometimes with wrocestershireshire(whatever) sauce, hot sauce or salt...and i puked all over their table. which by no means makes it ok, but i think it might help. its not totally illegal down there.

i've also eaten iguana

Iguana_iguana_juv1.jpg

also, i work in a supermarket and the meat counter dudes have a distributor of "exotic meats" which include but are not limited to :

yak, rattlesnake, horse, kangaroo, bison, elk, and last but NOT least is AFRICAN MOThERFUCKING LION i would have them order me some but its a minimum order of $50 and i dont want to go at it alone

I buy here when funds aren't too low. Not too exotic, but he's still got alot of stuff that's hard to get anywhere else. Apparently he makes special order Turduckens stuffed inside an ostrich around the holidays. Also does fresh ground raw rabbit meat dog food, which is supposedly really healthy for dogs. I can't afford that though.:lol:

IMG_0133.jpg

and the most delicious "weird" things I've eaten are Alligator at Jazzfest and Turtle soup at Dickie Brennan's in NOLA. But they're only weird to me since I'm a Yankee.

I used to go down to this exotic meat place once every couple of months (http://exoticmeats.com/) and get a couple of different meats. So far elk has been the best.

Escargot.jpg

also, escargot. I'll try most things, but that grossed me out until I tried it. escargot is actually one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten.

and chitlins are fucking gross.

• Like 1

I've had chicken feet at dim sum places in Chinatown and didn't like them. The sauce they were in was good, but they had little to no meat on them, and the skin texture was rubbery. I was expecting the skin to be more crispy. I don't like frog legs for the exact same reason. Maybe I just got a bad batch.

Guest 50million
I thought you were intirested in new foods?

Ohhhh wait you're only intirested in new foods that you can brag about!

You obviously are just listing a bunch of hoity toity crap to be cool

Also scrapple isn't even close to grits

Grits are a grain

Scrapple is what's left of the pig

It's hog ofal and cornmeal

Hog ofal is brains, hearts, snouts, you know, random animal parts

How can you say scrapple sounds alright in the same post you say you wouldn't eat the ingrediants in it?!?

nah man, im down to try new stuff, just not brains and most innards. i gag thinking about it.

rattlesnake im down to try.

im not talking about weird expensive stuff....soyrizo aint expensive or anything. im talking about random ass shit a lot of people i know wouldnt eat.

my ex used to eat 1000 chinese year old eggs. i have yet to encounter it.

ive had pigeon once....i didnt like it.

wagyu is amazing.

So because 50 made a retarded thread about going to ONE expensive restaurant, she is a food expert?

You like foie gras? Try force feeding it yourself, then killing, then plucking, then gutting, then preparing it and see how much you still like it.

Shit, I'd like to see how many of you would hang a pig upside down, slit its throat, skin it and would still eat pork after doing that.

I've killed a number of chickens for eating. I'm actually thinking of buying a place with a small yard to raise chickens in (ETA: and rabbits, but I don't know much about raising/slaughtering them yet). Never killed a pig, though I've seen it done. It's not that bad, as long as you look at it realistically.

So because 50 made a retarded thread about going to ONE expensive restaurant, she is a food expert?

You like foie gras? Try force feeding it yourself, then killing, then plucking, then gutting, then preparing it and see how much you still like it.

Shit, I'd like to see how many of you would hang a pig upside down, slit its throat, skin it and would still eat pork after doing that.

Done it. But then again, I was raised in the country. Gutting it is worse than skinning it. Fresh pork is better, especially wild pork.

i grew up in nicarauga, we had some stuff growing up that was fun to tell people about when we moved here to "El Unite"

2796690085_dd5e866b98.jpg?v=0

MORONGA- depending on where you are, it could be a latin american from of blood sausage or simply rice in fried pigs blood. super good.

its also called morsilla i order this with the 'pupu platter' type plate they got at the Argentinian restaurant round where i live.also included is churrasco some other type of beef regular sausage and tostones and the rice they make. its good. ill vouch. ill flick next time i have some.

nah man, im down to try new stuff, just not brains and most innards. i gag thinking about it.

rattlesnake im down to try.

im not talking about weird expensive stuff....soyrizo aint expensive or anything. im talking about random ass shit a lot of people i know wouldnt eat.

my ex used to eat 1000 chinese year old eggs. i have yet to encounter it.

ive had pigeon once....i didnt like it.

wagyu is amazing.

wait, but I thought you were down to try scrapple?!?

And who would be grossed out to the point they wouldn't want to try soysage?!?

Also spaceman spiff - come down south where most anyone has relatives with a farm... My dad raises goats and chickens and geese and rabbits and I seen more than that slaughtered and prepared since I was little and came down to visit in the summer

It ain't no thang man

Realist, Im curious how that is because plantains are definitely not Chinese. You mean fresh plantains in a resteraunt or just fried banana chips in the chinese grocery store?

No, they are fried plantains. Most of the places that serve them are in areas with a high Hispanic population.

I used to kick it with a Dominican girl who put me on to the practice.

So the shit about Koreans/Chinese eating dog, at least at one time, is true. They tried to lie and say it was shit ignorant Westerners made up.

Yep, but assuming chinese/korean/thai/pino/vietnamese eat dog is like assuming black people eat fish heads, wash their heads in cow urine, or believe witch doctors.