Sci-Fi

IOU

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^

I watched it, but about 2 weeks prior to that I watched that movie with Keanu Reeves as the alien who comes to save planet earth ... fuck is it called again ? The Day the Earth Stood Still .... while the stories were slightly different it was pretty much the same movie

I watched this (again) the other night:

starship_troopers.jpg

which is a fucking awesome movie.

Watched this a couple nights ago. Despite the reviews, it held my interest. Then again I just wanted to see a sci-fi mystery/thriller and wasn't expecting anything great.

7 out of 10

knowing_l200808221757.jpg

we'll see this soon. Heard it was good from people at work.

ok so admittedly some books get me riled up ..

250px-God_Emperor_of_Dune_Cover_Art.jpg

p.s my friend is telling me stories right now of growing up around the corner of nena in germany the chick that did 99 red balloons

^

I watched it, but about 2 weeks prior to that I watched that movie with Keanu Reeves as the alien who comes to save planet earth ... fuck is it called again ? The Day the Earth Stood Still .... while the stories were slightly different it was pretty much the same movie

I watched this (again) the other night:

starship_troopers.jpg

which is a fucking awesome movie.

Awesome movie, but part 2 sucked (it was like 1/10th the budget of part 1). And I'm assuming part 3 sucked as well, as I've never seen it.

• 3 weeks later...

In the current issue of Z Magazine, there is an article titled:

SCI-FI: Think Galacticon by Mitchell Szczepanczyk

Report from a conference mixing science fiction with left politics

"Science fiction has been many different things to many people. It has been a form of crass escapism from the drudgery of... "

Just a 1 1/2 page article describing how Science Fiction inspired the research of new science and new technology. And anarchists and superheroes.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For my geeks and freaks: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/sep/18/hg-wells-anniversary

HG Wells anniversary ignites celebrations

The inaugural HG Wells festival, a new literary prize and a search giant combine to ensure that the author of the War of the Worlds is no longer the invisible man

What's your favourite HG Wells film adaptation?

* Buzz up!

* Digg it

* Alison Flood

* guardian.co.uk, Monday 21 September 2009 00.32 BST

* Article history

HG Wells

No longer the invisible man ... the author HG Wells. Photograph: Corbis

Science fiction might be overlooked for the Booker prize, but the father of the genre, HG Wells, finds his reputation on the rise, with a literary award and a festival launched on the anniversary of his birth – as well as a nod of the head from the search giant Google.

The author of science fiction classics The Time Machine, The War of the Worlds and The Invisible Man, Wells lived in Sandgate, just outside Folkestone, for 13 years. The area was a literary hub at the time, with Joseph Conrad nearby in Postling, Henry James in Rye and The Railway Children author Edith Nesbitt in Dymchurch. Wells left Sandgate for London in 1909 after the publication of his feminist novel Ann Veronica was greeted with scandal, and one hundred years after his departure, local residents have decided to hold a festival "in honour of his genius".

Visitors at the inaugural HG Wells festival enjoyed talks about the author, an exhibition of pictures and art work inspired by Wells's The Sea Lady and a guided walk around Folkestone in the footsteps of one of his greatest creations, the draper Arthur Kipps. The festival also saw the launch of the first HG Wells literary prize for a short handwritten story in the style of Wells, won by 13-year-old William Jarrett. The prize is the bequest of Sandgate resident Reginald Turnill, the BBC aerospace correspondent who gave an eyewitness broadcast from Nasa of the moon landing. Turnill, author of H G Wells, Love & Literature in Sandgate, 1896-1909, interviewed Wells in the 1930s, and remembers his "squeaky voice".

According to Simon J James, editor of The Wellsian and senior lecturer in Victorian literature at Durham university, Wells's reputation is gradually recovering from the scorn heaped upon him by modernist critics such as Virginia Woolf.

"He is seen as an important writer, more so now than a few decades ago," he said. For James, Wells's greatest achievement was not his science fiction but his straightforward realist fiction, such as Tono-Bungay, which he said was "one of the great Edwardian novels", and which he teaches alongside EM Forster's Howards End at Durham. "I started looking at HG Wells because of my interest in early 20th century realism in fiction – and if you're interested in realism, you've got to be interested in Wells."

Google, however, has been focusing strictly on the science fiction element of Wells's writing, teasing internet conspiracy theorists with a series of unexplained Google doodles leading up to today's celebration of his birthday. In a post on the Google blog, Micheal Lopez acknowledged the reason for the doodles, with "an official nod to Herbert George, who would be 143 years old today,"

Last Tuesday, the search engine tweeted the coordinates "51.327629, -0.5616088", which led followers to Horsell Common in Woking, Surrey, made famous in 1898 by Wells in The War of the Worlds as the scene for the first Martian landing. "A big greyish rounded bulk, the size, perhaps of a bear, was rising slowly and painfully out of the cylinder. As it bulged up and caught the light, it glistened like wet leather," Wells wrote. "A lank tentacular appendage gripped the edge of the cylinder, another swayed in the air. Those who have never seen a living Martian can scarcely imagine the strange horror of its appearance."

So I just finished up:

soo3ms.jpg

Good Old Fashioned Future.. Good read.. Most of the stories were cool and somewhat related to each other..

Starting on Distraction now and so far I'm digging it.

For some reason I can't finish up Diamond Age.. Never really go into the book and couldn't tell you what is going on it..

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I finished up Distraction and that was a damn good read. I'm definitely a Sterling fan now.

Started reading a collection of Ray Bradbury stories and the dude is still bad ass to me.

I also just finished watching "The Lathe of Heaven".. Good movie. The DVD also has an interview with the author of the book the movie was based on. I'm definitely gonna be picking up some of her books.

district-9-poster.jpg

This movie.

When the end credits started to roll, I realized I had just seen a typical hollywood-type movie without realizing it myself.

Of course the overall look and creative details were relatively fresh, but deep down the movie was just the type of hollow entertainment I've been avoiding for years.

However the special effects, scenery etc. were so cool I didn't care. This usually isn't enough for me, but this time the notion of Good Scifi (= DIY alien weapons/tech) overpowered all the other factors, including the pseudo-polemic race/species issue and documentary-style intro/epilogue. Placing the whole thing in Johannesburg was also a clever way of selling "avant-garde sci-fi" to the audiences.

Although the story revolved around just a couple of characters and their "emotion acting" I found the film entertaining as if it was done by Sci-fi enthusiasts.

One thing I found lousy in the film was the main character's interaction with the aliens. It seemed as if he was just acting in a bluescreen environment without counterpart interaction. In very few scenes both the alien and the dude were observing each other in a credible manner. This kind of inconsistency tends to burst the illusion of the cinematic story. A valid problem to be tackled in the art of cinema in the future I believe

• 5 months later...

yea, i recomend it .

been on a franz kafka binge of late though.

chicks dig colored guys that read kafka at the beach...my vagina intake went up 0.34 as of this week.

and dude i cant even keep up with you and earl in the mixtrader thread..so much good stuff was put up i havnt even gotten around to listening to half of the most recent mixes