Working with trains?

boost™

Hey, well i just got served by the recession and got laid off, and can't find a job =/

i was takin pics by this yard and some rail worker ironically yelled out "get a job" i told em i got laid off and he said "we're hiring" lol. Where do i apply? Online or something? how old do you have to be? do you need to be a high school graduate? go to school for it? I love trains, and working with them would be sweeeet, fill me in with some info!!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

go to the companies site, find out what jobs and what cities they're hiring in.

BE VERY DRUG FREE and alcohol free is good too.

be ready for some grilling tests (which really are easy if you're not a moron) and shit like youre back in the SAT/ACT test.

they usually have hiring "drives" where everyone meets at a hall or convention room, they do their schpiel, and you do what they ask.

bottom line, get on their site and go for it.

also, don't be a pussy. working with the railroad is long, hard, time consuming work...

im surprised theyre hiring. railroads out here are laying off.

working with the railroad is long, hard, time consuming work..

do NOT underestimate this.

from what i've heard, depending on your position, you may be "on call," similar to a paramedic for long hours. people sometimes miss birthdays, holidays, etc. however, senior employees and office workers have far more normal hours. if you're starting at the bottom of the totem pole you will draw the worst hours and the graveyard shifts for at least a year or two.

I read this & look some stuff on the internet (i'm such a graff geek)

Subway work mus't be something awesome... here in Argentina they let you work on tunnel for some years only (i think like 6 or 8 years) cause is a really unhealthy line of work, because es the noise & stuff, but manely for the noise...

(sorry my poor english :P)

Yeah for sure. You can be called in at anytime and they're really not going to care what you're doing. Be prepared to miss events and such. Also, depending on the job, there's no set time. There might be a time RANGE but no SET time, so yeah. I hear Union Pacific is hiring, though. I hear they're not easy jobs, at all.

Ear plugs are a MUST. Buy multiple pairs. If you're out in the yard without them, you're fucked.

Be prepared to move around every couple of years. If you're lucky though, you wont have to.

Ehh, thats all I can remember for right now.

Anyone making 8.25 an hour is a scab. An u.p. is probably the only place hiring right now. And you'll only be on the road if your an eng or conductor. Most of those other jobs are based around the same yard/yards/city. Track dept is the shittiest job on the rr. Thats some slave work. And ya, youll be on the extra board for some years if you end up getting in with enginners or conductors. Missing holidays and all that. But it pays double, so take the good with the bad. cant complain about making 100k a year nowadays. Fuck a holiday

over here you have to be an apprentice for a while before you get to drive solo.

so i believe

an accquintance is pursuing it as a career option and he already has a FAT flick book from his short time working.

also, be prepared to deal with people trying and sometimes succeeding to kill themselves, people throwing eggs, rocks and paint balloons at you.

• 8 months later...
do NOT underestimate this. [/size]

from what i've heard, depending on your position, you may be "on call," similar to a paramedic for long hours. people sometimes miss birthdays, holidays, etc. however, senior employees and office workers have far more normal hours. if you're starting at the bottom of the totem pole you will draw the worst hours and the graveyard shifts for at least a year or two.

Since a spambot bumped this I'll post some info.

I knew a guy who worked at my local yard. You could be on call 24/7. They could call you whenever and you had 2 hours to get to work. One time my brother asked him if he ever seen kids painting and he said he does but doesn't do anything. ( strange considering I'm in the burbs) This was also before I got into freights.

• 1 month later...

A Grand Truck/CN worker befriended me after I called him over to ask some questions. Not sure what he does, I will ask, but he seems to work with the driver to add more freight cars. He's never seen someone painting but see cans all the time.

His co-worker writes and takes pics on the job. Some of the workers are very into the graffiti, others hate it with a passion, and some don't notice it at all. He did say hew knew several co-workers that write but didn't know what names.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Worked for CSX for a few years....After a "dead Head" van party with another crew outbound from chicago, we soon later lost our jobs temporarily for what they referred to as 'Medical Leave"....Didnt jump thru their hoops and ended up working a short line owned by a company called "Rail America" on a major Midwest run from ****** to ********....

Get your ass out there, I was already ahead of the curve in my conductor training program just from painting fr8s...Your average dummy on the street has no idea what an Intermodal is......

was Rather beneficial... http://www.nscorp.com or csx's is still http://www.amdg.ws i think......apply within sucker......

• 1 month later...