Skateboard videos were important

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best thing about the PS videos were the soundtracks, plus the worlds best surfers doing what they do.

For real, I don't think I'd have the same taste in music, if it wasn't for skateboard videos. My first real influence to music, was from my older brother who was a metal head. I remember when I was 6, he used to scare the shit out of me with his music and the devil --always the devil. He used to throw me in the den closet, with the lights out, and tell me the devil was coming to take me to hell while banging on the door. This went on for a month, until I figured out that pulling the string turned the light back on. He also convinced me, that playing "Shout at the Devil" would bring the devil to the room. So that freaked me out. After a few times, I realized it was bullshit, and actually started listening to the music.

After that, it was metal/trash/punk/speed all the way until about 6th grade. That's when I started borrowing punk bands from my friends. That's also when I started reading about bands like The Cure, The Pixies, The Descendants, etc, in skateboard mags. Then I had all these West Coast skate videos playing punk that I would never have heard if it wasn't for skating. The same thing happened with hip hop. I mean I was a fan of Yo! Mtv Raps from the get go, but when hip hop started coming into skate videos, it was cream of the crop shit. That's pretty much how I found out about Del, Souls of Mischief, Pharcyde, etc.

If I never got into skateboarding, God only knows where my taste in music would have landed. When my brother came out of his metal phase, he went into a hippie phase, and then right into the limp bisket/korn shit as an adult. I pride myself on my taste in music, and it's because it's open to so many styles. I guess I owe that to skateboarding.

get a tall tower of shelves for all this stuff... you'll be mad as hell later in life when you think about how you got rid of it all, i know this feeling

I know this feeling well, especially with skate video. Like I said earlier, I pretty much gave up in 1994. Out of all my friends, only 3 were still skating, and they were all younger than us. So I gave one of them my whole collection --except for Speed Freaks and The first Bones Brigade video. They were kind of dated at that time, and the kid didn't want them. He gladly took all my H-street, Plan B, New Deal, World, Blind, etc. I it was probably about 10-15 videos. I don't know if anyone remembers this old gem. It was Union Wheel Company's video "Right to Skate." I can't find cover art.

Mike Vallely

That video used to get me all worked up to skate. But, I gave that one away.

Another one I got rid of:

birdhouse-projects-ravers.jpg

Birdhouse's 2nd video. I had Feasters, but I thought Ravers was better.

Ocean Howell

Heath Kirchart and Jeremy Klein

I can't find Dan Rogers, but he skated to "Let's Start Today." I remember his part was crazy as well.

So yeah, I gave away all these videos in 1994. Then in 1997, I started skating again to motivate my little cousin. I got back into it pretty heavily, and most of the videos I have now are from the late 90's. They're still good, but the videos that really made me who I am were from my teenage years.

Anyone from SF has to remember Joe Valdez. Skated some of the craziest shit ever and cool ass dude. I used to have a original copy of Limits from Causin Frustration but lost it years ago. Peep some of his youtube shit below....

oldpicsbadlyshot_0109.JPG

003_03.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPHIDDGxaBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChNqJv5JvD4&feature=related

Bump Joe Vadez, skated SF like no one else...

ETNIES HI5 is the defining skate video of my life...

Marc Johnson - Etnies Hi-5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU1eu1kwRFI&feature=related

Chad Muska - Etnies Hi-5

Eric Koston - Etnies Hi-5

JB Gillet & Josh Kalis - Etnies Hi-5

Peter Smolik - Etnies Hi-5

Tom Penny - Etnies Hi-5

For real, I don't think I'd have the same taste in music, if it wasn't for skateboard videos. My first real influence to music, was from my older brother who was a metal head. I remember when I was 6, he used to scare the shit out of me with his music and the devil --always the devil. He used to throw me in the den closet, with the lights out, and tell me the devil was coming to take me to hell while banging on the door. This went on for a month, until I figured out that pulling the string turned the light back on. He also convinced me, that playing "Shout at the Devil" would bring the devil to the room. So that freaked me out. After a few times, I realized it was bullshit, and actually started listening to the music.

After that, it was metal/trash/punk/speed all the way until about 6th grade. That's when I started borrowing punk bands from my friends. That's also when I started reading about bands like The Cure, The Pixies, The Descendants, etc, in skateboard mags. Then I had all these West Coast skate videos playing punk that I would never have heard if it wasn't for skating. The same thing happened with hip hop. I mean I was a fan of Yo! Mtv Raps from the get go, but when hip hop started coming into skate videos, it was cream of the crop shit. That's pretty much how I found out about Del, Souls of Mischief, Pharcyde, etc.

If I never got into skateboarding, God only knows where my taste in music would have landed. When my brother came out of his metal phase, he went into a hippie phase, and then right into the limp bisket/korn shit as an adult. I pride myself on my taste in music, and it's because it's open to so many styles. I guess I owe that to skateboarding.

This is so very true, those first Poor Specimen videos had the best soundtracks, classic punk rock tunes from Sprung Monkey, Pennywise and Bad Religion. Listening to BR thru my youth made me appreciate the lyrical greatness of that band (and also Pennywise, the band who most wants to be Bad Religion :lol:). This was a bit of a departure from the music I was growing up on such as AC/DC, Metallica, Pink Floyd, until I started playing guitar and dug up my stepdads old album I remembered calling 'Surfing with the Alien' and that changed my taste in music again, co-incidently around the same time that the soundtracks to the surf videos I was watching had the soundtracks start to get filled with watered down (imo) b-grade songs.

I went and watched so many of the bands featured on those videos though, including the 3 I mentioned, as well as No Fun At All, Millencolin, Strung Out, and a few others I was dragged along to over the years.

love child and the two plan B videos are still my favorite shits.

hahah...hells yeah. i still have my copy of love child.

the TRILOGY video was in heavy rotation for a while too.

Gino Iannucci - Trilogy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPPUIoke7Pk

Lavar McBride -Trilogy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ey7DBCIdJQ

Kareem Campbell - Trilogy

Daewon Song - Trilogy

Jason Dill - Trilogy

Clyde Singleton

Marcus McBride

Ronnie Creager - Trilogy

Gideon Choi - Trilogy

• Like 1

jessee_neptune.jpg

staf2bgsmall.jpg

for anyone that was down way back in the 80's early 90's and remembers jason jessee, i highly recommend this shit. pretty fucking cool. interviews with jeff grosso, christian hosoi, spidey(!!!) and a bunch of other cats.

if you're into the history of skating, motorcycles, guns, breaking shit or being a bad ass motherfucker, it's a good time.

as much as i love some new videos, watching the gonz and jason lee still makes me smile every single time. So fucking good.

not from an old skate video or anything, but this video just showcases how even the gonz just riding around is better than most shit, and i could watch the quarter pipe extension body varial all fucking day.