HOLY SHIT

a/s/l?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Sound travels through air at "the speed of sound." Officially, the speed of sound is 331.3 meters per second (1,087 feet per second) in dry air at 0 degrees Celsius (32 degrees Fahrenheit). At a temperature like 28 degrees C (82 degrees F), the speed is 346 meters per second.

***As you can see, the speed of sound changes depending on the temperature and the humidity; but if you want a round number, then something like 350 meters per second and 1,200 feet per second are reasonable numbers to use. So sound travels 1 kilometer in roughly 3 seconds and 1 mile in roughly 5 seconds.

When you see the flash of a lightning bolt, you can start counting seconds and then divide to see how far away the lightning struck. If it takes 10 seconds for the thunder to roll in, the lightning struck about 2 miles or 3 kilometers away.

once upon a time as a child my neighbors' wall was hit by lightning, made it collapse onto the house hitting an AC unit that launched it through the master bedroom narrowly missing their newborn baby...

it was in the newspaper a few days lator too.

but rain makes me sleepy and it was a damn good sleep id imagine since i diddnt wake up

Last night around this time, there were two birds outside my house fighting or fucking or something. Making these LOUD, AWFUL screeching noises. The most terrible noises you could ever imagine ever. You would not even believe how loud and horrible this squawking was. Went on for like 30 minutes. It was INSANE. Just sayin.

I think somewhere in my neighborhood just got struck with lightning.

I just hear and feel my entire house shaking for like 2 seconds.

Fucking thunderstorm and rain trying to kill me.

I've heard that if there's a thunder/lightning storm you should turn off your computer.

Something about if it strikes near you there could be a surge that kills your computer and everything on it.

You might want to take that into consideration.

When you see the flash of a lightning bolt, you can start counting seconds and then divide to see how far away the lightning struck. If it takes 10 seconds for the thunder to roll in, the lightning struck about 2 miles or 3 kilometers away.

I always heard that the seconds counted was the amount of miles away the lightning was.

Also, the speed of sound is about 700 mph. Which is easier to understand than that seconds thing you were talking about.

I've heard that if there's a thunder/lightning storm you should turn off your computer.

Something about if it strikes near you there could be a surge that kills your computer and everything on it.

You might want to take that into consideration.

You didn't grow up with surge protection?