That cancer kid

YouMad.GIF

So you know that cancer kid who has hodgkins lymphoma (a form of lung cancer that has 90% success rate with chemo) who ran away because he was forced to get life saving treatment...

His mother wanted to get him Mexican holistic herb treatment (because the Mexican holistic medical system has a such higher success rate over ours!)... Because she couldn't bear the pain the kid had from his first chemo

So now because of the mmonths of stalling, the kids tumor is 10 times bigger

So you hear about that cancer kid?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

It's a weird case. The cancer he has responds well to conventional treatment but chemo is arguably less fun than the disease in some ways... and sometimes it doesn't work (RIP mom). I've seen some pretty amazing results from alternative medicine but some things don't ring true about this story.

*edit- It's fucked up all the way around. I don't think that wanting to explore their options should be anyone's else's business but the person who needs treatment, and they should be covered by medical insurance as long as they're proven therapies for the illness. Then again it's hard to say if parents should be able to make decisions like this, even when the child is on board. However, allowing the state to intervene in cases like this sets a bad precedent for other parents that want to look into natural medicine in less urgent/non-life threatening matters for their children.

It's a weird case. The cancer he has responds well to conventional treatment but chemo is arguably less fun than the disease in some ways... and sometimes it doesn't work (RIP mom). I've seen some pretty amazing results from alternative medicine but some things don't ring true about this story.

ya, my brother had cancer from when he was like 2-5 or 6, and he used to flip out when he knew he had to go get chemo. the shit worked for him though, hes about to turn 21 and everythings fine so far, he has to get checked every so often to make sure it hasnt popped back up. but i know others who it didn't work so well for, rip.

i just find it nuts that the law got into this, i dont know the whole story about it, but it seems pretty fishy.

chemo does fuckin suck, ive watched my mom and sister go through it, and its definitely no fun. but, in some cases it's all you can do.

as far as natural holistic medicine, unless its been found by scientists to pass a blind trial, i don't think insurance companies should pay a dime towards it. you have all these folks out there who wants to eat herbs and say prayers, and if something good happens, they automatically think it's because of the natural medicine.

correlation does not equal causation

yeah, i was under a rock for the past week and didn't hear about this.

honestly, it is up to an adult person what treatment they do or do not want to get

i hate doctors and hospitals and if i don't want to go i won't be forced.

now, that being said, he is only a child and his mom is a lil loopy.

thats why the law got involved.

the kid shouldnt die of lymphoma because of his mom's desire for religious freedoms and he's too young prolly to see that

What about medical marijuana, Dow? (Sorry, had to do it.) I suppose I should explain myself.

Certain treatments (diet therapy, osteopathy, acupuncture, massage, Chinese medicine) SHOULD be covered. They have been proven to be effective where conventional treatments sometimes fail, and where Western medicine doesn't make any promises. But anything that relies on crystals or shaman this or prayer that, well...do that shit on your own time and don't give money to some guy who claims to be better at it than anyone else, he's probably lying to you.

The biggest question here is "what is this treatment they were trying to get the kid and why did they have to go to Mexico to do it?" My guess is that it hasn't been tested to death by the FDA. I'm up in the air about this one, but the "holistic" label without any explanation of the treatment itself sets off my bullshit detectors.

The problem is that some people in alternative medicine are worse than quacks- they're flat out charlatans that only want your money. They prey on the hope of the near hopeless cases and that's awful. But some of this shit works...sometime no one knows exactly why. Then again you can ask ten different doctors exactly how and why aspirin relieves pain and you'll probably get ten different answers.

this situation is pretty close to a situation I had in my family. My cousin died of aids, relatively soon after he found out he had it because he chose to forgo the western conventional medical treatment that extends your life for 20 years like magic Johnson

Instead he decided to cure it with hypnosis

That wasn't an effective cure.

So basically I think he had the right as an adult to do some dumb shit like that... But I don't think making a similarly dumb and misguided choice for a kids care is responsible... And in this case I think her actions have clearly proven harmfull for her son, and that's boarderline child abuse

They should just let the kid smoke weed after chemo. There's a harvard medical professor who gave his son weed (his son had the same lymphoma) and it offset most of the pain and nausea

i just find it nuts that the law got into this, i dont know the whole story about it, but it seems pretty fishy.

The law got into it because this kids Jesus freak parents were going to let him die just to be stubborn dickheads.

The "holistic" bullshit they were trying has a 0% success rate, whereas the kid has a cancer that's easily curable with chemo.

Or at least it was before they let it get 10 times bigger. If this kid dies it's all his moms fault.