Breaking into the Art Scene

Hayabusa

okay

I think something like this could get some good ideas flowing.

I've gone to several local art shows of people I knew. Seen the sort of folks who kick it at these 'events'. Now, Im not at all like any of the people in this scene. I dont dress like them, I dont devote that much time to 'art', I didnt go to art school, and the vast majority of my frnds are NOT artists in the slightest. However, I still like and wouldnt mind getting more involved with such a scene. Meet people, build some kind of network within the art scene and so forth. Perhaps have a few of my works up at some kind of show or something (preferably in a way that i DONT have to pay)

I do not know at all how to go about doing this. Most art scene folks give off a hipstery snob vibe, and I do not fit in with that. Is this always the case with art kids? Are there any other people within this community that are different or worth knowing?

Im assuming some of you out there in 12oz land are artists and belong to such a community. SO what advice do you have for me, or other people on these boards, who are trying to fit in or become a part of the local art community?

• Like 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i realize there is also a lot of resentment towards some of the people in the scene and towards the scene in general

those views are welcomed as well, because I think it will give people who dont know about it a good well rounded picture of what they have to look forward to or what its really like

so everything is acceptable in here

Okay, this thread was made for me...

I'm a loud-mouthed, drunken, ex-hiphopper who is a well-known local artist in my city. Needless to say, I don't fit in with the aforementioned crowd.

I go to the shows, I sell lots of work, and I'm sure I've been called crude and worse more than once. I've actually gotten hatemail calling me a lot of less than nice things.

With that being said, as the rap kids say: "do you". Don't try and fit in. Let your art speak for itself. I used to have to kick in doors to get a show 5 or so years ago, now I turn them down, not because of who I know...because of what I do.

Guess what? Do it right, and in no time, you'll become the "guy they know" without trying.

That's where I'm at now and it feels great to turn down the places that used to turn me down. Just don't let it go to your head if you do get there. It can happen very fast, like a record deal on speed. Be careful!

Feel free to fire any and all definitive questions at me.

I hate the scene personally, and hope people like you join in and help me destroy and rebuild it.

Ive seen your drawings. You have the art part on lock.

Which is good.

I dont know where you should go from there.

Dont sell out and become a hipster art fag.

Just put out your best work, ask around about exhibitions. Blow your own shit up.

Haha. stay aggressive

im in it for the art chick groupies and for being loud, crude, offensive, and for making fun of hipster kids. basically.

and to sell some things and be 'cool', bro.

hahah

thanks bojangles

ive joined up a local art collective/email list but have yet to make time for any of the shows they market

the good thing at least is that there seems to be no shortage of shows and calls for submissions locally

i've always wanted to know about the scenes going for you bojangles, i read your book and wanted to know if you were still going at it.

Regarding the book, after the press hit locally about finding my family and all that "through graffiti", the flood gates opened on shows. I've even been a keynote speaker at a school for the annual scholastic arts awards.

Basically, it comes down to:

1. Having a strong artistic foundation.

2. Going to the shows, learning the ropes.

3. Meeting a few people, being seen. (sad but true)

4. Knock on doors...then kick the doors down to get into shows.

5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 over and over and over and...

Regarding the book, after the press hit locally about finding my family and all that "through graffiti", the flood gates opened on shows. I've even been a keynote speaker at a school for the annual scholastic arts awards.

Basically, it comes down to:

1. Having a strong artistic foundation.

2. Going to the shows, learning the ropes.

3. Meeting a few people, being seen. (sad but true)

4. Knock on doors...then kick the doors down to get into shows.

5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 over and over and over and...

Im guessing that getting on your local art collectives mailing list to stay in touch with whats going on is also helpful?

What I did before I fell off from wanting to get into this was go to an art store, and talked to the people working there (who are all art students and artsy farts) and thats how they suggested to get in tune with 'the scene'

if theres one thing Ive found about artists and people in general, its that they enjoy having their egos stroked... /nh

Most of the ones in said 'scene' are the ones making shitty art that they flood the market with. In my experience, it's the lo-key guys that burst in, do their thing and excel with raw talent and leave all those knuckleheads drinking PBR's with the same 20 people every Friday opening.

Getting on that list sounds like a start. Now You'll just have to weed through it and see who actually can benefit you and is not all talk.

The best thing is to make a portfolio and shop it to the galleries. Most galleries are booked up to a year in advance so don't let that discourage you if someone offers you a show in 2010 or even 2011. That's just how it goes. It gives you time to get ready anyways, and comes along much quicker than you'd think.

from my experience there's 2 "scenes"

1) the gallery scene with the usual suspects showing up for free beer and a possible photo on B.Decay, Fecal Face, or that chick who works at Deitch projects BLOG

2) then there's the artist scene. Usually small groups of actual artists that share studio space or hang out and drink beer together. This one is usually a lot harder to navigate if you don't already have friends involved in it.

• 3 weeks later...

this thread was a good idea for real. I think it depends on what city you live in but I have to agree w/ everything Bojangles has stated so far.

I'm in BK and I have a few habits that I do each week to make sure me and my work is in peoples minds. I seriously don't look like I fit into the art scene at all but I still make time to frequent the high end galleries in Chelsea & midtown and then the smaller galleries in Brooklyn as well at least going to their openings once a month. Free wine and snacks and usually some good art. Fuck the scenesters they're broke. This is my checklist that I go over twice a month.

-Pickup a gallery guide and look up shows that are showing artists i can relate to ( attend the shows or at least peep the artist's website and keep a log of the work you like and the gallery for the future)

-Make sure my artist bio (about me statement) and resume is up to date so I can send work out at a moments notice

- Take clear digital photos of all my new work and keep it organized in its own folder on my computer so I can burn it & or print it out if its requested.

- At least once a month try to meet one new curator or artist working in group shows at a gallery I would like to show and make sure they know what I do.

Fuck worrying about artfags and all that lame headband wearing or snobby black architecture glasses wearing bullshit and let your work speak for itself. But the one thing gets my work shown quickly is being organized with my shit. I look like some random ass nigga from red hook but once they see my work/bio/statement. BONG BONG!!

-

• Like 1

good thread. in my city there is a whole area of the city dedicated to these types of people. basically all you have to do is live there. it's called cathedral village, due to the old cathedral in the middle. but there is a bar there and coffee shops and gallerys and tattoo parlours and clothing stores, everything, just go and meet people, see whats up. i go to the bar there everynow and then. and im not really like them im younger than most of them, but i feel like i got a lot more talent then more than half those folks. so when i go make appearances it seems like everyone's my friend. and btw, i've been getting art connections and hookups for murals and shows ever since i started chilling out in that end of town.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Okay, this thread was made for me...

I'm a loud-mouthed, drunken, ex-hiphopper who is a well-known local artist in my city. Needless to say, I don't fit in with the aforementioned crowd.

I go to the shows, I sell lots of work, and I'm sure I've been called crude and worse more than once. I've actually gotten hatemail calling me a lot of less than nice things.

With that being said, as the rap kids say: "do you". Don't try and fit in. Let your art speak for itself. I used to have to kick in doors to get a show 5 or so years ago, now I turn them down, not because of who I know...because of what I do.

Guess what? Do it right, and in no time, you'll become the "guy they know" without trying.

That's where I'm at now and it feels great to turn down the places that used to turn me down. Just don't let it go to your head if you do get there. It can happen very fast, like a record deal on speed. Be careful!

Feel free to fire any and all definitive questions at me.

I hate the scene personally, and hope people like you join in and help me destroy and rebuild it.

haha, i KNOW who you ARE!!!! lol, whats up kid, hows tha grimy life treatin ya?? we gotta kick it comn up!!

Go to shows. Meet and greet.

If you really want to get into the scene, again go to the shows, lectures, etc.

Then if you are interested in working more closely with places, people, institutions then donate your time/intern.

I realized I wasn't qualified yet for a MoMA job and was getting no responses from applying to like jobs so I started interning at a well established non profit photo gallery. Then the resources, connections, and jobs I've wanted started pouring in.

Making art and getting into established shows and gallery spaces? Fuck I don't have the slightest idea quite yet. Still trying to figure that one out.

• 2 months later...

i have a couple of friends who are just starting to break into the DJ scene, but it was after a lot of spinning at home practicing, as well as a lot of grunt work being the back up/set up guy at less than popular clubs...all i can say is keep at it, its not an easy game, and like anything practice makes perfect...

Did you happen to set up a website yet man? If not you should, it would help you create clientele faster. Instead of carrying a portfolio around.

i got a flickr account up

im doing more 'art' as opposed to drawing letters like i used to for a while, so my portfolio in that sense is very limitted, but im building it up slowly