Halifax... The East Coast

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahahahahahaha you have to be kidding about Aeso being a huge part of hali history.

you got a lot to learn.

here's some slug

Picture4-2.png

Picture2-3.png

Picture1-3.png

Picture3-3.png

big up to all the older hali heads

here's a nice read for some of you new jacks who don't know whats up.

Halifax graffiti history writen by DIE PLEASE (Cabin HW) on lounge 37:

Halifax Graffiti History

I don't have much of an opinion on the musical side of things, as everyone here certainly knows a lot more about it than I do. As for writers, I think there are a ton of people who deserve mentions.

To start off with, even before HRA (Halifax Writers Association) got on the go, Chile Cop94 and 5Star were all putting it down (as for the Jorun and Seka side of things, that was definitely before my time, though there is still a RAW piece around attesting to the their early existence!). As far as I know those three (Chile, Cop94 and 5Star) were getting up in 93, if not earlier. Chile is definitely one of the most underrated writers that Halifax ever produced, when I first saw his stuff back in the day I got so hyped it was ridiculous, so ahead of the game back then!

After that earlier period HRA was puttin it down for a while, the kids reppin the most (there were others like Gex and Romeo who either left town or stopped writing) being Lope4, City Boy, Chile, 1Deep, MicOne, Drop One and eventually Tame. I think, but I'm not sure, Dabs might have been in HRA but my memory for these things is terrible and crew allegiances break up faster than junior high couples. At around that time there were also some other crews like BS (I think Tame and Fuze were in BS, I can't remember that well). I also remember seeing a lot of Ser tags around, really fresh simple Fat cap tags... but as was mentioned earlier that guy was definitely slashing a lot of shit too, nevertheless he was up.

At about the same time (I guess we're up to 95-96, the dates are fuzzy) there were a ton of kids getting up in the south end, especially on the tracks. 'East'/Atach was probably the only kid that ever stuck with it, though I think Yesca MOD was also doing his thing on the tracks at this time.

One writer who maybe shouldn't be in a hall of fame definitely deserves a mention: Eaze. This kid had Bedford and Rockingham on lock, tons of tags and throwups, which was rare at the time because not too many kids were doing a lot of throwups. He kinda faded out of the scene as far as I know (I've never met the guy) but I know some Rockingham/Clayton park heads know this kid was inspiring in a time when not that much bombing was going on.

Then we get into the BPM/MCB era. MCB was Lope4, Fatso, Cop94, Thesis, and, off and on, Atach. These guys were doing tons of productions and super nice pieces. I remember being especially psyched on all the stuff they were doing at the old Ice House wall... huge stuff that no one else in the city had even really attempted before. I think, and this is just my opinion, that these guys set a certain example (slick pieces over bombing) that was influential in Halifax for a long long time. Which isn't to say that they didn't bomb (they did) but just that people started thinking more about burners than about tags and whatnot.

BPM was mainly Chile, Lope4, Yesca (not Yesca MOD), Rhek and Drop One/Doser. These guys were also doing tons of nice production type pieces, but when Yesca came to town, he most definitely got his crush on. He re-introduced an emphasis on tags and street shit. In particular, I remember him doing super huge piece-style hollows in heaty spots, very fresh. He and Drop/Dose got up like crazy around 1997-1998, if my memory serves me correctly.

I also remember Lope tellin me around the time BPM and MCB were on the go about these young kids in the south end (young like 12 and 13) who were bombing a lot. I think, but I'm not sure, that he was hookin up with Aeso and some of his boys back in the day.

Though I don't really know these guys, Void and Yesca (Halifax Yesca) had a crew called MOD and Yesca, in particular, had a number of technically advanced pieces. He also had crazy beef with BPM Yesca and there was about a week when they went over each other every day with new burners on the Gottingen wall. Heads definitely remember this, it was crazy! Too many dope pieces that no one probably even has flicks of. The BPM MOD beef came to a head and I haven't seen much Yesca MOD stuff since then, though he might have left town for all I know.

At around the same time this kid Sere was coming up, and getting a little bit of his crush on. A number of kids in Dartmouth were doing their thing under the tutelage of the Mic One, City Boy, Lope4, Chile.

HW started up around 1999 and originally consisted of: Sectr, Fatso, Seka, Doser, Thesis, Rhek and myself. Later Tonto, Meow and Dabs were inducted into the crew. We painted a lot when the crew first started, and (it seems to me) were really the first people to start paying attention to freights seriously. In the earlier days of HW there was a lot of tension with Tobin and his associates which seems to have dissipated over the last couple of years. One incident at the pit, in particular remains memorable... there was beef there for like a month..constant dissing. Shit was funny.

In the last 4 or 5 years, CBU, Uber, Yron, Ceas and Remio (aka Sere ) also deserve mentions.

CBU consists or consisted of Mask, Sketch, Psycho, Mensa, Noam (I think he was a later addition) and probably a number of others I can't remember. Mask and Sketch had every writer in the city that I know impressed when they were coming up. They were definitely concentrating on crushing, tons of tags and throwups, and they were pretty close to all city...though they left my native Dartmouth somewhat untouched (for shame! haha)... Mask was doing crazy shit, I even remember a few heavens he had done, the first I saw to do that shit.

Remio, though he left town before he really hit his stride, was also crushing with tons of tags, mostly, and more character fillins than throwups. He's also returned to town quite a number of times and impressed me with his bombing acumen. Definitely nice to have a writer of his caliber mentioned along with Halifax.

Uber was and still is crushing. Even when he was awful (when he wrote Tall haha) he was crushing. Uber is also very into bombing, though he has tons of freights and pieces as well.

Yron has been around for a long ass time, I remember him getting up at Dartmouth cove back in the day, like 97... though I didn't know much about him at the time, he's since proved that he's dedicated. He mostly puts up tags and throws but gets down on the pieces too. Down with MC crew (who a number of people were hating on for a minute), he still gets up all the time.

Ceas is one of the few kids I know that has bombed in pretty much every area of the city, including Sackville, Cobequid, Bedford, Dartmouth, all over Halifax, etc. Though he didn't make a huge impact on the scene, I was and am very impressed with what he did do.

There are a ton of writers in Halifax now who I have no idea about, since I'm not around to keep tabs, but Slug and Skunk definitely made their mark (and not just because they're my homies).. I know kids like Ekos, Waek, Bare and Noam seem to be doing their thing (at least according to the message board on lounge37 ) but I've yet to see their shit on the streets... There are also kids getting up in Spryfield a lot, but it's hard to say how long their dedication will last...

This message is pretty scattered and it's difficult to evaluate the scene from a neutral standpoint when you're involved in it. I'm sure Kevin can correct me on any errors about the earlier stuff, especially HRA and MCB shit... It's fucking hilarious to think about all the old bullshit I totally forgot about...

I'll end with 5 writers who I think have had the most influence, period, on the Halifax scene (in no order): Dabs, Cop94, Lope4, Fatso, Sectr

(and you gotta know about Dartmouth kids who never get known: ryse, madone, halo, space, myself; in addition to the HRA motherfuckers who showed us how to do it in the first place: chile, lope4, micone, cityboy...)

CABIN HW

i believe he said "had knowledge"

and thank you, but i dont consider myself a big part of the scene robus

everyone should stop bickering and help each other out to strengthen the scene from its current status...its not a dead scene..just alot of people trying to figure things out and learn

i spent atleast a good solid 3 months studying graffiti history and halifax graffiti history, but then again i had SKETCH to slap me in the face if i did something stupid

but im not bitching...they guys that are out piecing are producing some premium shit..hands up to them

Aeso's been around for awhile same with Bueno...ive seen Aper grow sence first met him aswell when he started writing

i havnt put much work into the scene, but i do make every effort to update and learn about the present and whats gona happen in the future...but ill always have a huge bucket of knowledge about anything graffiti related

sune

1071616.jpg

Tobin

daisyi.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

that sectr is the bomb shiiiat. ahah and who are you to tell scen to stop bombing, you have like 2 tags running and have only painted legal walls, maybe hes not too original, but theres hundreds of writiers who have been influenced greatly by seen and at least scen tryd to do soemthing with it