twinky needs your help musicians...

twinky the kid

so yeah,

ever since i started playing music, which was about eight grade, ive wanted to actually make my own music and such, ive been in a few shitty grind and punk bands but ive really always been fascinated by electronic music and how its made.

but ive never been able to grasp the concept of how to go about getting into it.

so i know a few of you on here dabble in this field and was hoping you could give me some advice on how to get the ball rolling.

if you know any good websites for beginners, that would help alot too because all the website ive seen are still a little to advanced for me to understand.

i guess i should give you guys a sample of what kind of music im into and what id like to create.

so heres a few bands who have a sound i really like, do me a favor and refrain from telling me how gay you think these bands are, and how im a TPWF hipster.

the knife

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLuqly6uCQ

crystal castles

ladytron

so those are a few of the sounds i would like to get involved with,

as of now, ive been fucking around with my bass, making little songs and beats.

im hoping i can get some decent advice on what instruments would be good for a beinner and what i need to learn in advance.

thanks.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Reason 4 and a midi keyboard and piano lessons.

this works for my friend. i'm always tryna tell him we should sell out and make commercial electro-hop music and get heaps of gigs and make bank and fuck club sluts but he's about as all about 'bringing 93 back'

all you need to make sounds like those inlfuences you listed is to download a crack version of Reason along with the multitude of free downloads for patches, and purchase a microkorg for a midi controller. The microkorg is also dope on its own, plenty of ladytron/crystal castles sounding patches.

Those artists make really basic tracks, you can just get a few drum kits together on reason's redrum feature and keep most of it to 4/4 timing. I would recommend using the commodore drum patches, they're free and they sound like electro/8-bit/whatever you want to call it.

by using a "new order" kick drum, some clicky hi-hats, maybe a NIN sounding valve-y snare, you make a "drum skeleton" of beats first on a timeline, then just lay the computer sounding tones over it by pressing keys and counting out 4's and then add robot voice lyrics. Keep the drum sounds as tight and non-reverb sounding as possible.

and thats an electro song.

Oh, and it has to be a concept album.

Something about your metamorphisis from kid to man and its correlation with the decline of Amazonian forests.

People dont fuck with just plain normal albums anymore.

my first album will be a statment on street warefare involving clowns.

ive been fucking with FL ofr a minute but i got a noob question:

you know when you bring up the playlist menu so that you can arrange patterns?

well i dont know what the fuck i did but the whole left side (that lists all your patterns) fucking disappeared, and its not showing the little green pattern bars.

also the grid is now horizontal and not vertiacal as it usually is.

how the fuck do i fix this? im going fucking bananas.

is there a restore all setting tab anywhere?!

cubase

Did you even read what he said?

How the fuck is he going to understand cubase off the bat (or any of that other shit u listed) when he doesn't even get those websites

Twink, don't listen to these retards

If you got a mac, play around with garage band so you understand basic loop producing techniques, then move up to fruityloops or acid

Reason is a great program but the interface is a little weird and I guarantee you will be lost

Bu7

After a year or so you can move up to abelton, then mabee logic or cubase or cool edit

ive been fucking with FL ofr a minute but i got a noob question:

you know when you bring up the playlist menu so that you can arrange patterns?

well i dont know what the fuck i did but the whole left side (that lists all your patterns) fucking disappeared, and its not showing the little green pattern bars.

also the grid is now horizontal and not vertiacal as it usually is.

how the fuck do i fix this? im going fucking bananas.

is there a restore all setting tab anywhere?!

I'm pretty sure you have it in midi trigger display mode, not loop sample

this works for my friend. i'm always tryna tell him we should sell out and make commercial electro-hop music and get heaps of gigs and make bank and fuck club sluts but he's about as all about 'bringing 93 back'

MY HOMEBOY GETS AGGY IN THE STUDIO WHEN I TAKE THE PIANO OUT OF THE BEAT AND THROW THE 808S