Bank mistakenly puts 8 million in your account... What do you do?

geezpot

New Zealand couple flees after $7.8m bank blunder

NEW Zealand police are searching for a couple who have allegedly fled with millions of dollars that was accidentally deposited into their account.

The couple, Huan Di Zhang and Hui Gao, is understood to have received a $NZ10 million ($7.8 million) deposit after asking Westpac Bank for a $NZ10,000 overdraft, NZPA is reporting.

The couple ran a service station in Rotorua, according to NZPA.

The store shut down earlier this month after its operator, Heights Service Limited, went into receivership.

"The individuals associated with this account are believed to have left New Zealand and police (are) working through Interpol to locate those individuals," said Detective Senior Sergeant David Harvey of New Zealand Police.

http://www.news.com.au/business/story/0,27753,25515799-462,00.html

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how can you steal something that is given to you?

8.7mil? easily enough for me to live for the next 100 years. goodbye world.

new passport, living on a beach in asia. come find me interpol.

hahah good luck finding huang zhang in china.

I'd probably withdrawal all the money and open an account at an offshore bank then write 4 x $1million cheques to third world country charities and live off the grid with the remaining $4 million. Probably move to a big city, much easier to blend in and pay cash for everything.

The bank will try to get the money back from the charities thus making them out to be evil corporate fuckups in the news instead of me being the clerical bank robber.

whynot?

So if the bank made a clerical error and instead of your 2 week paycheque of $1300 getting deposited they entered $130, does this entitle them to keep $1170 from you?

I would be willing to bet $1170 that you'd be wanting your money back.

They requested a 10k overdraft that they would have been liable to repay within the terms of the agreement - presumably the 8mil would have also been in overdraft form so legally they still have to repay it as if it were just the 10k they requested.

Current Balance: NZ$ -8mil

Saying that I would do exactly the same. I'm gonna go check my balance..