the world is flat

gnarwalker

i think what he was saying was that before 1969, when they were actually able to launch things into space and take pictures, someone could have had a valid argument for the earth being flat. but thats only when you arent talking to anyone who knew anything about astronomy and shit like that, which is a lot of normal every day people.

seriously, if someone came to me and said, explain to me how you know the earth is round without any pictures, i wouldn't be able to come up with a single valid argument.

Yeah, I mean it's not like people had been sailing around the world for CENTURIES before the space program existed.

I guess they also weren't using globes in classrooms before the 60's either.

The fuck are they teaching you kids these days?

I can't believe you morons are actually college educated. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no. dude. you misunderstand (as usual)

i didnt say people didn't know the earth was round, im saying they wouldnt know how to explain how they know its round, just like i cant without using outside sources such as pictures or "lmfao people have been sailing around it forevarz lol lol lol"

seriously, if someone came to me and said, explain to me how you know the earth is round without any pictures, i wouldn't be able to come up with a single valid argument.

The way a ship approaches you in the ocean on the horizon proves that there is a "curve" in the earth. Not necessarily that it's "round" but it will tell you it isn't flat.

When a ship is approaching from the horizon (12-16 nautical miles), the first thing you see creeping up over the horizon is the top of its mast (the tallest part of the ship). and then more lower parts of the mast, then the superstructure, then the bow. If the earth were flat you'd see the entire ship approach you all at once.

That's one way to tell the earth is curved by the naked eye.

no. dude. you misunderstand (as usual)

i didnt say people didn't know the earth was round, im saying they wouldnt know how to explain how they know its round, just like i cant without using outside sources such as pictures or "lmfao people have been sailing around it forevarz lol lol lol"

THEY WOULD EXPLAIN THAT PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SAILING AROUND THE WORLD FOR CENTURIES YOU DUMB FUCK.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

Gravity is a phenomenon that can't necessarily be explained based on observations from the earth. Without any point of reference, it's just something that's there.

Here's something that CAN be observed from the Earth's surface that supports the theory of a round planet, though-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminator_(solar)

based on oberservations on earth? what isaac newton observed when he saw an apple drop lead to the the discovery. and given that matter of any mass has a relative gravitational field it can be extrapolated to describe the earth.

Gravity is a phenomenon that can't necessarily be explained based on observations from the earth. Without any point of reference, it's just something that's there.

Here's something that CAN be observed from the Earth's surface that supports the theory of a round planet, though-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminator_(solar)

[ATTACH]111562.vB[/ATTACH]

PS, your link doesn't work.

LolWut.jpg.212c70e968cd1a9542ce355a44b7986f.jpg

I think ILB's question is basically equivalent to saying "how do you explain the colour blue to a blind person". People are just misunderstanding the point he's trying to make.

photons exciting electrons to an excited state so they jump energy levels, they normalize by releasing the energy absorbed as light, the blue colour corresponds to a particular frequency of light emitted in the visible sprectum, 350-450nanometres.

i think people are misunderstanding the point that science always works.

photons exciting electrons to an excited state so they jump energy levels, they normalize by releasing the energy absorbed as light, the blue colour corresponds to a particular frequency of light emitted in the visible sprectum, 350-450nanometres.

i think people are misunderstanding the point that science always works.

I know that science works.

The point is..........nevermind fuck this.

also my point still stands. gravity explains that mass attracts uniformly, such as a sphere, it couldnt coalesce as a flat object. the gravitational field is stronger closer to the centre of an object, so particles would be attracted there first, filling it out as a sphere not a flat object.

if it were to form a disc, particles would exist in areas of weak graviational fields (the edges of the disc), whereas areas with stronger fields would be unoccupied (directly above and below the two poles), if this were to happen every scientific theory based on physics would be proven wrong, as it isnt, you cunts are stupid.

Nah, what he's sayin is: "how would you prove that shit without google image search and wikipedia?"

When did he say that?

Besides, what you just wrote is no different then what I wrote, because what's found in "google image search" and "wikipedia" is based off of "centuries of scientific data" and "exploration".

• Like 1

When did he say that?

Besides, what you just wrote is no different then what I wrote, because what's found in "google image search" and "wikipedia" is based off of "centuries of scientific data" and "exploration".

He's saying that without a photo, there's no real proof.

Why do I have to explain to you what he's saying?

This is another fine example or 12oz making me feel like I'm in the fucking Twilight Zone.

He's saying that without a photo, there's no real proof.

Why do I have to explain to you what he's saying?

This is another fine example or 12oz making me feel like I'm in the fucking Twilight Zone.

He already said you missed the point. The shit went directly over your caveman head.

Now you're going to argue with someone about what they were thinking. The person that was thinking it is probably more accurate on their own thoughts than anyone else.

He already said you missed the point. The shit went directly over your caveman head.

Now you're going to argue with someone about what they were thinking. The person that was thinking it is probably more accurate on their own thoughts than anyone else.

His point is that WITHOUT A PHOTO, THERE'S NO REAL PROOF.

He said exactly that in plain English.

Maybe that shit went completely over YOUR head. :rolleyes:

His point is that WITHOUT A PHOTO, THERE'S NO REAL PROOF.

He said exactly that in plain English.

Maybe that shit went completely over YOUR head. :rolleyes:

Yes, without a photo that was the result of centuries of science & exploration.

The photo didn't just pop out of nowhere. It took us thousands of years of human civilization to get to the point of being able to have photographs of the earth from space.

i think what he was saying was that before 1969, when they were actually able to launch things into space and take pictures, someone could have had a valid argument for the earth being flat. but thats only when you arent talking to anyone who knew anything about astronomy and shit like that, which is a lot of normal every day people.

In this case I agree with DAO -- men & craft were sent in to space well before 1969, and photos were taken of the earth as early as the 1940's. 1969 only represented the year man first went on the moon.

Even before the first photo of the earth, it was known for centuries that the earth was round and it was generally accepted amongst most people with at least a basic education.

In this case I agree with DAO -- men & craft were sent in to space well before 1969, and photos were taken of the earth as early as the 1940's. 1969 only represented the year man first went on the moon.

Even before the first photo of the earth, it was known for centuries that the earth was round and it was generally accepted amongst most people with at least a basic education.

^THANK YOU...

Maybe next time you'll actually read the conversation before jumping into the fray. :rolleyes: