Vegetarian

Y.FRESHJIVE

OmnivoresDilemma.jpg

read it.

i agree with feeling disconnected about HOW i get my meat, not necessarily the eating part. it sort of feels like food is just an industry now instead of really being a necessity... i mean people that produce our food seem to care more about their profits than what they feed to the people. anyways, i'm not a vegetarian, i just try to be a conscious consumer.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The beers I had last week were fucking cold and delicious. They were great, as well as the weed I smoked. It led to some awesome sex with a really hot girl. There's a few beers left in the fridge.

hahaa

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to YoungCousin again.

I eat too much meat.

Think it would do me good to personally despatch an animal before eating it because the disconnect from slaughterhouse to supermarket shelf is too wide.

would probably sort me out because I don't think I could handle the guilt of killing a cow or pig.

Here is a quick easy recipe that i do like twice a week..

I call this shit BBQ TOFU.

I get some of the extra firm tofu (the whole block is like 40 g protein) and the whole foods brand, 365 organic cost about 1.60 a block..

300_125804.jpg

Some of that Baby Rays sauce, i like the original and the hickory & brown sugar. But any bbq sauce will work.

sweetBaby.jpg

Cut the tofu block in half (make 2 meals out of the block). Then cut the tofu into smaller cuts so it looks like this... ( or cut to what size you want)..

2009-03-28eHow22_Full.jpg

And get a pan put some oil in there of choice, a half decent amount. Let that oil get real hot ( splash just a lil bit of water into the oil, and if the oil starts going crazy, then its hot enough). Put the cut up tofu in the pan with oil. Let them bitches get crispy on all sides. When the tofu is crispy enough for you, take the tofu out and put it onto a few peices of paper/towels, etc to soak up alot of the oil. Dump the oil out of the pan, to somewhere safe. Put the tofu back in the hot pan, put alot of the sauce on the tofu, and start flipping that tofu around like a real chef (add more sauce at anytime if needed). Make sure you coat all the tofu evenly with sauce. Then just dump it neatly onto a plate with your sides ( i prefer asparagus, and potatos, beer).

newcastle_brown_ale.jpg

I will probably make this agian real soon, and ill take some step by step pictures, and post em up. This is real simple to make tho. All your really doing is frying tofu, and then adding you favorite BBQ sauce.

Looks kinda like this when done..

BBQ+Tofu

I have a steak/burger/bratwurst once in a blue moon, but my diet is based mostly on vegetables, with chicken and fish on occasion.

I choose to eat this way to be healthy, and also because it is economical. Cuts are expensive.

Some of my friends are totally (purposefully) ignorant to the vegetarian shit, though. My roommate eats a ton of pork (bacon, sausage) and beef and dude never felt well or had energy.

I have a steak/burger/bratwurst once in a blue moon, but my diet is based mostly on vegetables, with chicken and fish on occasion.

I choose to eat this way to be healthy, and also because it is economical. Cuts are expensive.

Some of my friends are totally (purposefully) ignorant to the vegetarian shit, though. My roommate eats a ton of pork (bacon, sausage) and beef and dude never felt well or had energy.

Yea dude all my roomates eat meat. They fry there hamburgers, and eat these cheap ass pork steaks that smell up the whole house. And yea they are not very energetic or athletic. They all smell of B.O. also. But i might have to try that Ken Davis sauce next.

just a note, a ton of beers are not vegetarian. newcastle especially, they use fishoil in the brewing process.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geraint.bevan/Vegetarian_beers.html

apparently nutella uses ox blood for colouring as well.

i know that can be a bit much, but still something to know.

all you veggiequarians and your fish eating. get off the seafood.

if you have a good chinese superstore near you you can find some amazing vegan/veggie prawns, red snapper, tilapia, crab etc theyre all made in taiwan if i remember. I dont like them as they taste too much like the real thing and i dont like seafood as well.

anyway it's been 14 years for me, though i do still eat dairy and seafood (not a big fish fan)

and i became lactose intolerant so i have to eat those damn lactase pills a lot, which sucks.

i'm also trying to get off seafood, almost completely. i am down to shrimp and crab basically.

QUOTE]

You seem like a good egg and all, but sea food is still meat. So it's not really accurate to say you are a vegitarian. I'm always suprised when people imply they consider themselves vegitarian but eat seafood.

I'm actually in the same boat. I basically don't eat land animals. The reason is it personally is the healthiest choice I can make for myself for the long term, that and farming things like cattle and sheep aren't sustainable for our environment. They are a total waste of resources. So i don't think buying something that's more wasteful and is going to be less healthy for me, makes much sense.

I agree with the comment about how anti vegitirian a lot of people are. I am amazed by it. There have definately been long term add campaigns here in Australia to promote people eating meat since they are such big industries here. So maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyway I'm suprised how a lot of my friends have poked cheap fun at me for not eating meat. It's just the kind of shit friends do so ofcourse I don't care, but its just such a dumb thing to even mention. Atleast when I make fun of my friends it's for their aweful facial hair.

um,laugh out loud ? it isnt protein or meat consumption making this country fat. it is the gorging on carbohydrates,especially grain products and sedentary lifestyles.

Actually, excess protein in your system eventually gets stored as fat when your body is unable to process all of it. but obviously, regardless of whether or not you're an omnivore or a level 5 vegan(never eat anything that casts a shadow) eating an imbalanced diet will lead to health problems.

I don't believe you.

and why would you not eat seafood? it's really good for you.

honestly i don't care what you believe.

anyway i used to be a cook so for years i would cook meat at work.

what people do or do not eat is in them.

and mercury is poisoning seafood. read up on it sometime, it is getting pretty bad for eskimos, who eat mostly seafood. also i don't like it that much, if you read the original post.

anyway it's been 14 years for me, though i do still eat dairy and seafood (not a big fish fan)

and i became lactose intolerant so i have to eat those damn lactase pills a lot, which sucks.

i'm also trying to get off seafood, almost completely. i am down to shrimp and crab basically.

QUOTE]

You seem like a good egg and all, but sea food is still meat. So it's not really accurate to say you are a vegitarian. I'm always suprised when people imply they consider themselves vegitarian but eat seafood.

I'm actually in the same boat. I basically don't eat land animals. The reason is it personally is the healthiest choice I can make for myself for the long term, that and farming things like cattle and sheep aren't sustainable for our environment. They are a total waste of resources. So i don't think buying something that's more wasteful and is going to be less healthy for me, makes much sense.

I agree with the comment about how anti vegitirian a lot of people are. I am amazed by it. There have definately been long term add campaigns here in Australia to promote people eating meat since they are such big industries here. So maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyway I'm suprised how a lot of my friends have poked cheap fun at me for not eating meat. It's just the kind of shit friends do so ofcourse I don't care, but its just such a dumb thing to even mention. Atleast when I make fun of my friends it's for their aweful facial hair.

call me whatever you want.

not a problem.

there are many definitions of the whole vegetarian word, including some that imply that veganism and vegetarianism are basically the same.

there is lacto-veg as well, which says you eat dairy.

since there is not one commission ruling over what is or is not vegetarian, i'm still going to call myself that, since i haven't eaten any animals besides seafood for so long, and really, have not eaten that much seafood either.

i'm not the vegetarian who eats chicken and the occasional steak,

Pescetarianism—A diet that excludes all meat except fish, shellfish, and crustacea.

you could say this about me i suppose, but no one knows what this is.

i also continue to eat seafood as a convenience to people (as suki ate ribs not to offend, sometimes i have to eat fish not to offend)

i also hardly ever eat fish, like 2 times a year. and no crustacea, and only 2 types of shellfish

for all you vegetable heads. If you dont already eat

edamame or kno what it is you should get educated.

Good stuff. Either boiled and sea salted or like i just

found it. Dry roasted and lightly salted. Edamame....

kinda a big deal.

the dry roasted lightly salted is the jump but so you kno

theres like no grease or oils or something going on with

it. Dries your mouth out like nobodys biz

I was just thinking about

how some people equate compassion and healthy lifestyles

with weakness.

fucking dummies.

the "vegan equals emasculation" thing for dudes is really fucking retarded as well.

*sigh

stupid people are stupid.

anyway

this song is funny to me.

Not a vegetarian, but I cook for alot of friends who are. Here's some recipes that I really like. Some aren't vegan, FYI.

Quinoa Tabouli

* 2 cups water

* 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

* 1 cup quinoa

* 1/3 cup olive oil

* 3 medium ripe tomatoes

* 2 tablespoons fresh mint

* 1 1/2 cups parsley, coarsely chopped

* 1 cup scallion, chopped

* salt, to taste

Directions

1. Place quinoa in a colander and rinse several times rubbing the grains together to remove the bitter outer layer.

2. Place water and quinoa into a 2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.

3. While the quinoa is cooking, finely chop the tomatoes, parsley, and scallions. Add lemon juice, olive oil and fresh mint to the tomato mixture.

4. Stir in cooked quinoa and salt. Mix well.

5. Let tabouli sit in the refrigerator for a day to blend flavors.

6. Remove from fridge 30 to 60 minutes before serving to allow mix to come up to room temp.

Italian Lentil and Barley Soup/Stew (Slow Cooker/Crock Pot)

* 1 cup lentils

* 1/3 cup pearl barley

* 1 cup carrot (chopped)

* 1 cup celery (chopped)

* 1 cup onion (chopped)

* 2 garlic cloves (minced)

* 1/2 teaspoon dried basil

* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

* 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

* 1 bay leaf

* 3 1/2 cups broth

* 2 1/2 cups water

* 14 1/4 ounces Italian-style tomatoes or regular stewed tomatoes or crushed tomatoes

* 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped (optional)

* 2 tablespoons cider vinegar (optional)

Directions

1. Sort through lentils to remove debris and shriveled beans, then rinse.

2. Add lentils to crock pot, along with barley, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, dried herbs and bay leaf.

3. Pour in broth, water, and tomatoes.

4. Cover and cook on low heat for 12 to 14 hours, or on high heat for 5 to 6 hours.

5. Discard bay leaf and just before serving stir in parsley and vinegar. (If you don't use the vinegar, the soup might taste more bland as you're omitting a major contributor of flavor.).

Pasta w/ Roasted Eggplant and 3 Cheeses

* 2 cloves garlic, peeled

* 1 medium red pepper

* 1 small eggplant, cut lengthwise in half (about 1 1/4 lbs)

* 2 teaspoons olive oil

* 12 ounces pasta

* 4 sun-dried tomatoes

* 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, but into 1/2 inch dice

* 1/2 cup heavy cream or whipping cream

* 10 medium basil leaves, thinly sliced

* 1 cup grated parmesan cheese

* 1/2 cup ricotta cheese

Directions

1. Heat covered 4 qt saucepan of salted water to boiling.

2. Preheat broiler.

3. Rub garlic, whole red pepper and eggplant halves with oil; place in broiling pan (without rack); place pan in broiler about 4 inches from heat & broil vegetables until garlic is lightly browned (about 8 min), skin on pepper is blistered and charred and eggplant is fork tender (about 14 min), turning occasionally & removing them as they are done; do not turn broiler off.

4. Cool vegetabless and peel off skin from pepper; cut pepper in half & discard seeds & stem; peel eggplant & cut into 1/2 inch dice; place in large bowl.

5. Cook pasta in boiling water.

6. While pasta is cooking, in covered blender pulse pepper, garlic and dried tomato until pureed; add puree, mozzarella, cream, basil and 3/4 cup parmesan to eggplant in bowl.

7. Drain pasta; add to eggplant mixture, stirring to coat evenly; spoon pasta mixture into broiler safe baking dish; dot with ricotta & sprinkle with remaining parmesan; place baking dish in broiler about 4 inches from heat & broil 6 minutes or until ricotta is browned & sauce is bubbling.

Grilled Eggplant w/ Spicy Peanut Sauce

* 4 teaspoons sesame oil

* 4 cloves garlic, minced

* 1-2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or more if you want more heat

* 2/3 cup crunchy peanut butter

* 4 teaspoons tamari

* 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice

* 2 teaspoons sugar

* 2/3 cup water

* 2 medium eggplants

* vegetable oil, for brushing

Directions

1. In a medium saucepan heat the sesame oil over medium heat.

2. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes.

3. Saute for about 1 minute.

4. Whisk in the peanut butter, tamari, lime juice, sugar and water, cooking for 2 minutes.

5. Add a touch of water-you want the sauce to be the consistency of hot fudge sauce.

6. Keep warm over low heat.

7. Heat your grill to medium high heat.

8. Slice the eggplant 1/2 inch thick.

9. Brush both sides with oil and lightly salt.

10. Grill for 8-10 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.

11. Brush lightly with sauce and serve with remaining sauce.

I have more recipes/links saved on my other computer... I'll post those up over the weekend.