NEW SERIAL KILLER IN MILWAUKEE

(CNN) -- Police in Milwaukee are working to track down a serial killer linked to at least seven unsolved homicides dating back more than two decades, authorities said.

Law enforcement officials in the Wisconsin city have matched the unknown man's DNA with seven women -- six prostitutes and a runaway involved in the drug trade. The deaths occurred between 1986 and 2007.

"Six of the victims were women who were working as prostitutes -- high-risk behavior that makes them vulnerable to crime," authorities said.

Police believe the killer had sex with the runaway, but she was killed by someone else.

The developments have prompted officials to form a local, state and federal task force to investigate the homicides. A state lab is working to determine whether the DNA of at least 23 other slain prostitutes matches that of the killer.

"In the past, we might have linked some of these homicides through their method of operation, but theory has given way to technology," said Edward Flynn, the Milwaukee police chief. "Within the last couple of weeks, we have been able to confirm a link."

Flynn, who described the killer as an "unknown suspect who conducts his business in secret," said the investigation would require tips from the community.

"This suspect has been able to avoid and evade law enforcement for these last 23 years. He has never been arrested for a felony as he does not appear in any DNA database," Flynn said.

Police said 42 prostitutes were killed between 1986 and 2007, and that 31 percent of the cases have been solved. There has been a higher clearance rate -- 78 percent -- in other homicides.

Of the seven killed, two were in 1986, three in 1995, one in 1997 and one in 2007. The runaway was one of the three killed in 1995.

Flynn said there have been "patterned homicides" discovered across the country as a result of advanced DNA technology, citing investigations in Los Angeles, California; Mesa, Arizona; and Las Vegas, Nevada. However, he said there is no link with the Milwaukee cases.

In discussing advances in DNA technology, Flynn said there were no matches in 1990s, two around 2000 and the seven have been linked in recent weeks.

"We already have determined that five suspects in murders of other prostitutes -- completely unrelated to this investigation -- have been identified because their DNA match open homicide cases. Three of them already are in prison for cleared homicides of prostitutes," police said in a statement Tuesday.

SERIAL20G-2.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Not surprising, Milwaukee is a weird place, this all happened close to where I lived. This kind of shit is interesting to me if my screen name doesn't give it away. I believe Milwaukee is also one of the cities on the list of unsolved serial murders believed to have been committed by truckers who roam the country killing people and are difficult to track as a result.

i saw this on the news, my guess is it's a white man who is trying to "cleanse society". my mom said i was wrong because milwaukee is so segregated that people would have automatically noticed if a white person went into the hood. BUT they are hookers.

idk why people are talking about it all of a sudden now, the last murder was in '07.

milwaukee has had some pretty hardcore serial killers like dahmer and gein

i saw this on the news, my guess is it's a white man who is trying to "cleanse society". my mom said i was wrong because milwaukee is so segregated that people would have automatically noticed if a white person went into the hood. BUT they are hookers.

Serial killers tend to stay within their own race. This may not apply to all. One could assume though that the person is familiar w/ the neighborhood one way or another since all those killings happened in the same area and the bodies were all left in abandoned areas (not that those are hard to find in the Mil. I would think they would have done a geographic profile already to help narrow things down.

Hookers are good targets for SKs, no one really misses them or pays attention to them. That neighborhood has hookers by the dozen, the cops seemed more interested in speeders than crackhead hookers.

i feel bad for their families though, like on the news the dad of one of those ladies was saying how it sucks that just because he is poor, black, his daughter was a prostitute the only action taking place is media coverage.

and yeah, that area has so many hookers. reason why i thought that it was a white dude is because maybe there aren't as many white hookers walking around, but i really have no clue.