RIP Dolla

Poesia [ ] T

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/05/man-fatally-shot-at-entrance-to-beverly-center-.html

Man fatally shot at entrance to Beverly Center [updated]

4:20 PM | May 18, 2009

6a00d8341c630a53ef01156f9ca74d970c-800wi

[updated at 6:30 p.m. The man shot at the Beverly Center mall this afternoon was identified as Atlanta-based Dolla, whose real name is Roderick Anthony Burton II, according to his publicist, Sue Vannasing. She said Dolla was shot in the head around 3:10 p.m. while he and another rapper, D.J. Shabbazz, waited in the area after shopping at the popular Westside mall. A friend who was with the rapper at Beverly Center also confirmed his identity to The Times.

About two hours later, Los Angeles police detained a “person of interest” as he attempted to board a plane out of Los Angeles International Airport. The man allegedly drove his silver Mercedes SUV from Beverly Center to the airport. Vannasing said Dolla had gotten into an altercation with other passengers on a flight from Atlanta to Los Angeles, but it's unclear if that was related to the violence.]

[updated at 5:15 p.m.: Police have arrested one "person of interest" in connection with the shooting but were looking for a second suspect.]

[updated at 5:40 p.m.: The arrested suspect, who fled from the mall in a silver Mercedes, was detained at Los Angeles International Airport while trying to board a flight. Police said the shooting took place in the valet waiting area of the mall].

The shooting occurred just after 3 p.m. at the La Cienega Boulevard entrance to the popular Westside shopping center. All entrances and exits to the 6a00d8341c630a53ef011570927355970b-800wipopular Westside shopping mall were sealed off as police swarmed the scene.

LAPD officials said that officers were sent to the mall on a report of a group fight, possibly involving a knife. LAPD Sgt. Ronnie Crump said two suspects ran in the direction of Beverly Hills.

At a Chipotle restaurant in the mall, several people were eating when the shots rang out.

“The customers were yelling 'close the store, close the store, because somebody is shooting,' ” said Elsa Hernandez, general manager of the restaurant.

An employee who was behind the restaurant, near the mall’s valet parking service, saw the tail end of the dispute, Hernandez said. “He saw a lady ... shooting a handgun,” Hernandez said.

6a00d8341c630a53ef01156f9cac93970c-800wiThe center is normally quite peaceful, said Hernandez, who’s worked at the restaurant for six years. “This is the first time this has happened here,” she said.

-- Andrew Blankstein and Sam Quinones

Photos: Shoppers leave the parking structure at the Beverly Center (top photo) as LAPD personnel investigate the scene of the Monday afternoon shooting. Credit: Brian Vander Brug / Los Angeles Times

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine what it was like. I don't live far from there and I know that area is lively with shoppers, yuppies, etc. Lots of rich white people spending money. I always see blacks there though. Celebrities are always there. It's probably the most popular mall in L.A.

And wow at the list of rappers that died at Cedar-Sinai Medical Center (which is right across the street from the Beverly Center)... Biggie, J-Dilla, and now Dolla. And Kanye got his jaw fixed there.

And these people don't represent black people, they represent ignorant hoodlums that are black. The average black person is not going to the Beverly Center shooting off rounds. In fact it's the first time I've ever heard of a shooting happening there.

The root of crime is poverty, not race. And blacks on average live in more impovrished conditions than whites.

Crime is not an issue amongst wealthy, upper middle-class, and middle-class blacks.

c'mon dude, i trust you've been around here long enough to know that i understand the difference between class and race.

HOWEVER

poor white people are not shooting eachother at the mall over arguments about shoes or whatever the fuck these two subhumans got into it about.

• Like 1

True. It's a culture thing that goes along with it.

But back in the day places like Hell's Kitchen and Five Points in NYC were white slums with high murder rates, robberies, etc. Times change but at one point Hell's Kitchen was considered the most dangerous place in America (and nothing but whites lived there).

The root of crime is poverty, not race. And blacks on average live in more impovrished conditions than whites.

Crime is not an issue amongst wealthy, upper middle-class, and middle-class blacks.

there is also a large chunk of poor whites in the south

That argument applies only to the east and west coast megalopolis regions

On average in the southern states the percentage in some regions reaches 26% for whites, while blacks are at the natl avg of 18%

The fact that the majority of poor whites are southern throws off statistics unless you break it down regionally

And I'm sorry, but look at how poor people are in appilacia

It's like a 3rd world country,

there is also a large chunk of poor whites in the south

That argument applies only to the east and west coast megalopolis regions

On average in the southern states the percentage in some regions reaches 26% for whites, while blacks are at the natl avg of 18%

The fact that the majority of poor whites are southern throws off statistics unless you break it down regionally

And I'm sorry, but look at how poor people are in appilacia

It's like a 3rd world country,

but the cost of living is substantially higher in the larger cities.

c'mon dude, i trust you've been around here long enough to know that i understand the difference between class and race.

HOWEVER

poor white people are not shooting eachother at the mall over arguments about shoes or whatever the fuck these two subhumans got into it about.

there's plenty of Dirt poor whites killing each other over NASCAR and wiskey

But most poor whites live down south in places like jonesboro Arkansas, places way off you guys radar

Trust me, I grew up outside of NYC in the 80s, I was taking the train through south bx in 87 when itvwas really scary, ive done video shoots in Memphis hoods, ATL hoods, Nashville hoods, and the most scared I ever been was stuck in the middle of the hills of south central Kentucky in the hills of appilacia

but the cost of living is substantially higher in the larger cities.

When you factor in available social and community services all big citys offer it more than factors out

These people in the hills have literally nothing

These motherfuckers don't have sewage or electricity in some places

If you never seen it, it's hard to comprehend