12oz Dog Lovers Society --help a brother out.

So my girlfriend has wanted a dog as far back as I can remember. At first she'd see a lab and say "I want one!" To which I'd be the asshole and say "No fucking way." So a few weeks ago she was watching Dogs 101 on the Animal Planet Channel. So we see a few dogs and then they do a piece on the French Bulldog. Even I couldn't help but be sold on this dog. So I say we can get one, and she starts saving up. So yesterday we went out, and found one. I've never had a dog before, or lived with one. But, I'm going to be with this dog for most of the week, so I have to carry on with training her. My girl has been reading books, but me? Nope. I didn't expect to even get one of these things.

So I know some of you are dog people, can you spare some pointers? Anything at all. We're planning on taking some dog training classes in a month or so. Right now she's only 5 months old.

I'll post some photos when I can get my camera to work, as well as her to stand still.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

earl

dogs are pack animals, so you have to be the alpha male

at all times

that way he knows your the boss and will always do what you say, know he can't get away with shit, etc

don't let him sleep in your bed because then he'll think you're equal

and make him do something to get a treat (say, 90% of the time) even if its something really simple like sitting down

don't let him get up on the furniture without asking

and socialize him with other dogs as much as possible from a young age

I grew up with a bulldog.

Bulldogs slobber like you wouldn't believe. Also, they don't deal with heat (temperature) well, so if he's going to be inside make sure you keep your place cool.

But yeah, congrats.

play with her all the time when shes a pup to wear her ass out and she wont bother you/ destroy all your shit at night....

my boys pug used to crawl under my bed in the middle of the night wake me up and freak me the fuck out, dont let that shit happen haha

Training- you tell the dog once, like Johnny Dangerously, once, especially w/ the command 'come.' If the dog doesn't listen on that 1st time, you go get him, tell him no! Come! And make him. The dog will get it soon enough, you listen the 1st time. It saves you having to look like one of thos idiots you see out there chasing their dog everywhere repeating the same command over and over and the dog is running around w/ a smile like fuck you, I'll do it when I feel like it. The more you repeat the command over & over w/o enforcing it the more the dog learns they have to listen when they feel like it VS when you tell them to. The same goes for any other command. Dogs like to please, they don't want to piss you off. Work all of those commands in different situations too so the dog is used to listening even w/ distractions like another dog around.

• Like 1

My brother's friend Eddie had a French bulldog who would ring a bell when he wanted to go outside and use the bathroom

Seriously the fuckin coolest shit ever. Train her to do that.

I lived with a retard Min Pin (the reason I moved out those fuckers are retarded) but the cool thing is it would do this!

French Bulldogs are super snorty and farty and chill. Just like having a boyfriend..

You'll be okay

Obedience classes will definitely help. I did them with my dog within a week of adopting her, and I didn't know much about training a dog before the class, so it made a big difference... even if you're more experienced with dogs, I think the classes help b/c it gets the dog used to listening to you when there's alot of other distractions (other dogs, especially), as opposed to training at home where it'll be in a familiar environment and less prone to being distracted.

Swampfight - do you know if ferrets get along well with cats? I've got 3, but the girl REAAAAAAAAAAALLY wants one. I'm positive it'd get along with the bunny, providing it wouldn't bite it.

And earl - the one biggest thing about your dog is to give it as much love and attention as humanly possible. Your dog can be the most awesomely trained dog, but if it's just not happy and fun to be around, it's a boring fucking dog. I've had more fun with dogs that were just stupid as hell and loving, than were obedient and calm.

Pooty has lived with 6 different cats in 3 different houses, and they all got along pretty good. Sometimes they might fight, but honestly I just chalk it up as playing rough. I had to break him and my kitten up a few times because they were really biting, but overall everything was good. They're roughly the same size and can't do much damage to eachother anyways

He's also lived with like 5 different dogs at different times, and was good with all of them except for one. However, that was the dog who killed a few cats while I had him, so that doesn't really count

• Like 1

Awesome, i appreciate it, swamp. I'm the weird animal guy in my neck of the woods, and i never care about adding more because there's always tons of people here to give them all love. a ferret is going to be a serious welcome addition at some point. maybe not real soon,but hopefully within a few months.

HA ha^

Swamp, you can get your ferret to ring a bell. I would assume anyhow. I'm not too sure, I train dogs, not little weasels. I used to have about 5 of those fuckers when I was little though, they're the shit. I never tried to train them though. Put a bell on a string, and hang it next to where you feed him. Everytime you go to feed him, guide him over to the bell and make him touch it until it rings. Do that enough times, and he will just start ringing it when he's hungry.

damn --i haven't read all the responses, but thanks in advance.

So here she is:

3540267896_d010e63959.jpg

3539452525_08aa2403e1.jpg

3539450847_680d39695d.jpg

3540262962_66840dfe69.jpg

She's only 5 months old, and is already pretty good with the pee pad things. Tomorrow, I have to start training her to go outside.

Last night she kept farting (I think it's the treats we're giving her), and I was psyched. Now I have some competition around the house. I can drop ass and just blame it on the dog. Oh, she also snores, which is hilarious. I went out to get a beer last night, and she was snoring in her cage. My girl always complains about my snoring, so it's like this dog is perfect for me. It farts, snores, now I just need to train it to make fun of people and drink beer.

We're both psyched with the decision we made. She really is a great little pup all around.

• Like 2

5 months old huh, expect her to be chewing on a lot of shit in your place, especially if both of you are out and about for a decent amount of time.

She hasn't started doing this yet, but we gave her chew toys and she keeps to them. Plus, we have a cage for her, that she'll stay in while we're gone. We're trying to cage train her now.

My brother's friend Eddie had a French bulldog who would ring a bell when he wanted to go outside and use the bathroom

Seriously the fuckin coolest shit ever. Train her to do that.

My parent's dog was trained to do this too. I think its a semi common thing since once the dog know where the door they go out is, they'll often pace around infront of it when they want to go out and brush up on the bells, until they finally catch on that ringing the bell = going outside. Sometimes you get the dog just ringing the bell because it sees another dog or something outside though, but its still a hell of a lot more convenient than the dog standing near the door silently until it pisses somewhere