starving children vs. upscale dining???

Guest 50million

It sounds selfish but this entire planet has poverty everywhere, yes I can afford to support some kid in a 3rd world country but what about the welfare kids in my own city or country?

There is a never ending supply of people that need assistance so I would sooner not worry about any of them and worry about my own family.

My wife and me have worked hard to be in a position to treat ourselves to some finer things whether its vacations, fine dining, or material goods. It is shallow but only the strong survive.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would never spend $5k on a burger, that seems extremely excessive to me.

I have spent $100 on a burger though.

It did taste good but not $100 good.

On the topic of beef, has anyone tried Wagyu beef?

If you're into authentic Japanese kobe beef(not the american knock-off) I highly recommend trying Wagyu beef.

Guest T14K

ps the 2000 i spent on it was all profit. and if i was sober i would of never done it.

but if i was a dude who didnt make bad non-sober decisions i probably wouldnt be single right now.

oh... holla1!!!!!

Finer things in life? Dude, Life is the finer thing.

Fuck material goods, what the hell does it get you? Can your 56in plasma tv give you a hug?

Laughing

Loving

Living is fine

Not rounds of gay ass golf and 50 dollar steaks that you are going to poop out later

Fuck this shit. Material things make me legitimately happy

• Like 1

And the people in here on some "Support a starving African kid" shit really sound like high and mighty fuckin douchebags

If that's what makes you happy then cool, but who the fuck are you to judge what somebody else does with their money?

My 56" plasma can't give me a hug, but I sure as fuck enjoy looking at that more than a picture of Mibutu with a cheesesteak or whatever your money buys him

• Like 1

I work 6 nights a week bartending at restaurants that serve decent food, one being authentic shanghai-style chinese food and the other being more expensive West Riviera style cuisine. I eat this food for free on a nightly basis, which cuts down on my food costs. So when I get that night off, you best believe I go out for a serious dinner.

It's New York City, we have some of the best restaurants on earth. I could spend that night seeking out/researching charities to provide for(that aren't faith-based or scams), but after 6 straight nights of hectic bartending, I'm looking to drop about $200-300 on a nice 4-course meal, proper cocktails and maybe a decent glass of wine or two.

I'm not knocking the whole 'support a starving child' hobby, it just doesn't work for me at this time in my life. Maybe one day when I own a big sports bar.

honestly

you guys havent boned, and hes taking u to a $$$$$$$$$$ dinner where you gotta pay

the fuck kind of ass backwards world is this

get over it. You will remember fine dining maybe for a day after. Once it hits your stomach its all the same shit. In the end its just FOOD.

Spend the money on something better in my opinion

also. guilting regular folks into caring about the worlds problems as if they can actually affect change is just a way the powers that be displace the problem, and place its responsibility on someone else. You guys really believe if you sponsor ONE fucking kid you're making any kind of difference? THere are people out there preaching this shit to you, who if they got off their ass and actually changed things that mattered, there would be far less problems.

not putting out for dudes you really like is the ill power move.

this guy who i really like is playing me really close right now but i am in no hurry to do anything about it.

the buildup is key.

food is the only thing i can allow myself to spend big money on in good conscience.

but i prefer buying/racking the ingredients and making it myself, i feel out of place at really fancy spots.

i mean my grammy taught me which fork to use first and shit.

but i onno. not my class of people.

This thread is hilarious. I'm all about eating at FL someday. If I could afford to have a meal of such high quality - not just the ingredients but the chef's knowledge of cooking and the service in the restaurant - I wouldn't think twice.

I'd be willing to bet most of the people eating at FL have the type of money that it's not an issue - they can eat out and donate money to good causes without having to choose between the two.

Also, no offense 50, but dude shouldn't have invited you if he wasn't going to pay for you, IMO.

this post[/url]?

Seriously dude why would I lie?

Is it so hard for your broke ass to believe that some people on 12oz actually make good money and enjoy spending it on some finer things in life.

Jealous much?

I hear ya!!

I made six figs last year and dude thinks I work at mcdonalds

Guest 50million
That doesn't sound like a date, it sounds like "friend zone" and he got a hook up and wanted to know if you were interested in experiencing fine dining.

If you say no he'll probably offer it to someone else.

As I mentioned French Laundry is a hard place to get a reservation, it's like getting front row floor seats to a sold out concert 10 minutes beforehand.

I'm assuming the reservations had been made 4-5 months previous to the night, and you two weren't even dating then. The reservations weren't made for you two to go together, someone cancelled but he didn't want to give up the reservation. I know if I had a reservation for French Laundry and my +1 got sick I wouldn't cancel, I would ask someone else to go with me or offer the reservation to friends.

on point. so we work together (ya i know, shut up.) but we started hanging out and we reallllly hit it off. he made these reservations for him and his friends a while ago. the plan was everyone go dutch. someone canceled, so he invited me. he said the situation was weird and if he planned on taking just me, he would totally pay. but he said he would rather me go than anyone else. thats why im considering. he's really into food and never had anything like this before and wanted to try it. i understand, but im really not into stuff like this. i think red lobster is expensive...

not to agree with DAO

but spending that kind of money for dinner is fucking lame. Like this thread said; there are starving kids, recessions, and really other shit you can be doing with your money.

Like saving it for when you lose your job

"Forget your lust for the rich mans gold, All that you need is in your soul"

this is awesome

ya only live once tho. i know cats that spend $300 on a round of golf like its nothin. theres something to be said for the finer things in life. sometimes its good to indulge.

i fucking hate golf and all the water is sucks up.

Finer things in life? Dude, Life is the finer thing.

Fuck material goods, what the hell does it get you? Can your 56in plasma tv give you a hug?

Laughing

Loving

Living is fine

Not rounds of gay ass golf and 50 dollar steaks that you are going to poop out later

in your opinion

let other people live the way they want

I can't stand other people being all self righteous because they aren't into material possessions or whatnot

if thats not your thing, fine

I don't mind balling a little, and me and my better half send 35/month through plancanada to a little girl in ecuador.

I also donate several hundred dollars a year to canadian leukemia research.

So I give where I choose too, but I don't mind spending on me and her either.

i delivered organics to all the who do places in nyc.. perse, kraft, barbados,... it's all young mexican kids fix'n shit anyway. the chef doesn't pick out the ingredients, or prepare the food.. he stays in the office and plays with the papers and i only ever saw a few places that had real head chefs doing the cooking and those are of the street dining variety, the down to earth places.. if you drop more than $60 on a meal, you're being played

Guest 50million
not putting out for dudes you really like is the ill power move.

this guy who i really like is playing me really close right now but i am in no hurry to do anything about it.

the buildup is key.

no kidding. ive never really took this strategy before. hes from philly, older, we work together and we really like each other. so without saying, we are just taking it one step at a time.

i dont think ive ever had so much fun with a a dude. i mean i have great dude friends, and ive had pretty good boyfriends, but this one makes me laugh every 5 seconds. even when we are making out. its really cute.

the first time we went on a date, when he got up to go to the bar to buy some drinks after dinner, i totally scurried over to pay the bill. im just not into 'the dude has to pay for everything stereotype.'

thanks for those links bf, im going to look into them. whole foods non profit micro credit lending program is here http://www.wholeplanetfoundation.org i helped raise $1,500 in one day at my store and i donate twice a month to the program. also to the animal compassion foundation (which is changing to something else). its a really awesome non religiou non political program and it has a success rate of 99% repayment. all the interest (which is extremely low) goes towards other loans. check it out....

rich dudes creep me out.

i hate yuppies like DAO hates cops. thats why im iffy about this place.

and metronome - i down to hear random hero's opinion just as much as yours. its cool brotha.

If it's going to weigh on your mind that much don't go. I love to eat and for a while me & my girl would go to expensive places, although nothing near what you're talking about. Generally I've found that expensive places thrive on making things that might be a pain in the ass for you to make yourself at home or that would be time consuming to make so people go to them. Either that or the price allows for people, like celebrities, to go to places where they'll be less bothered because the general public can't afford to get in. I find though that at a certain point food is just food and no price will alter its taste. With my girl, we used to like to eat a lot of seafood from fancy places but with the economy tanking that became difficult for us. However, for minimal work we found that we could go to the fish market and buy all that shit ourselves and make twice as much food for half the price, win/win.

If none of this works for you I'll offer an alternative: eat a starving child.

the first time we went on a date, when he got up to go to the bar to buy some drinks after dinner, i totally scurried over to pay the bill. im just not into 'the dude has to pay for everything stereotype.'

I guess I'm just old school in this regard, but I personally get really offended if a girl tries to pay. You want to offer once that's nice of you and all, but when I tell you I got it just smile and say "Thank you".

After you've been together for awhile if the girl wants to take me out for something specific and pay that's OK every once in awhile, but other than that please keep your money in your purse