What book are you reading? Part 20

I hope that I don't come off sounding like a total idiot but I wasnt really into reading books growing up...I would read other stuff like comics, newspapers, magazines...

Im not going to lie, I watch a shit load of TV but I noticed that there are only a few shows that I actually follow and I DVR those to fast forward through the bullshit...

The other night I realized just how much I aimlessly channel/web surf and decided to do something a little more productive...

I picked up an old copy of Ernest Hemingway's For Whom The Bell Tolls...So glad that I did.

a lot of people have picked up reading recently because of the e-readers...if you're willing to drop about $80, in might be a good investment and keep you excited about getting new books to read.

a cheaper thing to do is go to your local thrift store and browse those books...maybe dont start off with Hemingway, but instead a book on a topic you really enjoy.

this thread is actually FILLED with tons of good books, many books that I had never even heard of....last year, i went through this thread and made a list of books that i thought were interesting and would want to read...after listing about 80 books, i decided to stop...went to the thrift store and actually found 6 of those books for $1.50 a piece.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad books kiiiiid. lol. definitely about to check both of these out in advance

to the new bukowski annnd murakami.

survive_woods.png How-to-Survive-the-End-of-the-World-as-We-Know-It-9780452295834.jpg

2012 or not. i feel the need to beef my survival game up something serious. feelin like a nigga might get all

KIR inspired and dip next year to Yosemite on some grizzily shit. fucka regular jerB.

I picked up an old copy of Ernest Hemingway's For Whom The Bell Tolls...So glad that I did.

I was even going to suggest Hemingway before I got to the end of your post. I think he is a great read to start off with. For Whom is very good.

I was also going to suggest some easy breezy reads, like Tom Clancy or WEB Griffin. You fly through those things like crazy and learn lots of cool stuff, like spy games and technology.

how to stay alive in the woods is actually really informative. if i live through some kind of major disaster where i need to start fending for myself, that book is for sure coming with me.

I have a ton of PDFs on this kind of stuff...if you're interested I'll be happy to share them, and that goes for everyone here.

Currently plowing through this-

519TPGvzJML._SS500_.jpg

And this-

6685210-L.jpg

I don't read much fiction these days.

I was even going to suggest Hemingway before I got to the end of your post. I think he is a great read to start off with. For Whom is very good.

I was also going to suggest some easy breezy reads, like Tom Clancy or WEB Griffin. You fly through those things like crazy and learn lots of cool stuff, like spy games and technology.

i got 3/4 through For Whom and put it down, shit is so fucking slow, which i could handle if it was conversationally gripping but it wasnt. a 400 page book taking place over 4-5 days is not my idea of a good book.

recently finished The Edge by Jeffrey Deaver, awesome thriller. not surprising he's won so many writing awards.

also read The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly a while back. one of the best written books ive ever come across, the movie was shit, but book adaptations usually are.

now im reading the Game of Thrones series as its so long i figured it would be perfect to kill time as im backpacking. starting to piss me off though as all the main characters keep getting murdered, on the third book and barely anyone is left.

I find Hemmingway to be extremely obtuse. Granted, the only thing I've read from him is "The Sun Also Rises", which I didn't like. Not a difficult read by any means, but in my opinion it was just a very long winded account of one of his drinking benders, which in theory seems awesome, but in reality was not. I have "For Whom The Bell Tolls" and will probably never read it based on that alone. Someone change my mind.

If anyone else knows of any sites like this I would be interested...

sometimes survival/tactics pdfs are posted in the /rs/ (rapidshare) section of 4chan....you can do a pdf search in that section...ive found a bunch of stuff on there.

you can also try the links stickied on the /lit/ section.....library.nu is my favorite link though, because i've found some good books on that site...like random hip hop, graffiti, and martial arts books.

those wolf/vampire/zombie/sea monsters/android remakes of classic novels have become popular..

henry 8th: wolf man

pride and prejudice and zombies

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters

abraham lincoln: vampire hunter

jane slayre

little vampire women

wuthering bites

android karenina

alice in zombieland

haven't read any of them...has anyone here read these?

I find Hemmingway to be extremely obtuse. Granted, the only thing I've read from him is "The Sun Also Rises", which I didn't like. Not a difficult read by any means, but in my opinion it was just a very long winded account of one of his drinking benders, which in theory seems awesome, but in reality was not. I have "For Whom The Bell Tolls" and will probably never read it based on that alone. Someone change my mind.

The Sun Also Rises is about so much more than a drinking bender, in fact it's really not even about that at all. I'm not going to explain what a two second google search would uncover but suffice to say that you should have gotten more out of it. That said, Hemingway is great but his novels really aren't where he shines. You want to go after the short story collections and his non-fiction pieces, those are the main reasons he is revered in my opinion. I'd skip For Whom The Bell Tolls, it's not a bad book, but if you didn't like Sun Also Rises there's almost no chance you'll like it.

I saw the guy under you compare Hemingway to Steinbeck in saying that Steinbeck was a better writer anyway, etc... That really isn't an apt comparison as the two writers have entirely different styles. Steinbeck's work is defined almost entirely by his major novels whilst Hemingway's major novels are often glossed over in favor of his short stories. It's simply idiotic to compare something like East of Eden or Grapes of Wrath to something like For Whom The Bell Tolls or Snows of Kilimanjaro; they're just different in too many aspects. It's almost like comparing Faulkner and Twain, both draw on southern cultural elements but write in a radically different style (though not necessarily always, hence the almost).

To contribute, I just picked up The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick and have been reading it every chance I get. It's around 1000 pages including intro and commentary supplements but I can't recommend it enough to anyone who has an interest in his writing (especially Valis or Ubik in particular). It's not so much a story as an account of an evolving idea, so if you're interested in a science fiction writers philosophical/cosmological ramblings, pick it up.

Lastly, on the topic of e-readers, if you get a Kindle, amazon has a large cache of free books "hidden" in the kindle store. When I first got mine they were in their own section under "classics" or something like that, but last I checked they'd done away with the categorization. The iphone kindle app used to actually have a button for them as well but they made it so you can't access the store directly from the app for whatever reason. Point being, there is an unreasonable amount of free books for the kindle. I've gotten the complete works of Poe, Dostoevsky's Notes From Underground/Brothers/Idiot/Crime and Punishment, and all the Sherlock Holmes stories for free off of amazon just to name a few. They also run specials every once in a while, I got the complete works of Hemingway for $1.98 a year or so ago, really nothing bad to say about that. I still buy hard copies of certain books, but it is a great thing to have.

waiting for "how to survive the end of the world" to come in the mail right nao.

decided to get a head start on an old black history book i always wanted to read.

so far it's amazing. if yer into shit like this. dude rounded up 60 some odd slaves/freed slaves

and went on the most gnarly white man killing spree back in 1830. so many heads rolled...

The%20Confessions%20of%20Nat%20Turner.jpg

nat+turner.jpg