What book are you reading? Part 20

as long as you're reading mccarthy's ridiculously huge vocabulary i recommend hopping right into SUTTREE. its my favorite piece of his, but the first 20 or so pages are harder than anything i've ever read, but the work was absolutely worth it.

Done and done. I've been reading on a Kindle and really need to slow myself down and start using the word lookup function more often. At least when I'm reading McCarthy. I generally consider myself to be relatively intelligent, but there were portions of Blood Meridian where the vocabulary made me feel very, very retarded.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

that is the one real selling point of kindle for me, i usually make a list of words that i check when i'm done with the book unless i absolutely can't figure it out from context, but if its too good of a read i just keep going thinking i'll come back to a word and never do.

maybe someday i'll get one, i don't like the feel of a kindle enough to commit.

Yeah, you can bookmark or notate along the way and refer back to it, or look at all your bookmarks/notes at once.

And to be honest, i have no idea about the pirate ebook world. I've just been buying books from amazon, since it's so goddamn easy.

Edit: there are new models coming out in a few weeks too. Touch screen and the general lowering of prices on everything.

Edit: there are new models coming out in a few weeks too. Touch screen and the general lowering of prices on everything.

Kindle Fire is $199...seen an ad for it today.

heres some comparisons of different ereaders:

http://ebook-reader-review.toptenreviews.com/

if youre able to use pdf on your ereader (which is pretty much all of them), you can download certain books for free on sites like ebookee.org or manybooks.net...or google the pdf's of certain books (I have found about a good 15 books ive been looking for by doing this) and use the pdf's on your ereader.

i don't really annotate books (unless its a textbook for school), but the first time i used a kindle, i really liked the word look-up feature.

but, its still cheaper for me to go to the thrift store and buy the paperback version of the book, so thats what im sticking to.

the public library here in my city let's you actually check out kindles with the books programmed into them (each library has about 4 or 5, each programmed with a specific genre)...so if youre city has a similar program, you can check out the kindle for a couple of weeks to try it before you buy it.

Currently reading this, new to Will Self, his style of writing is different to say the least. Half-way through, overall a good book.

Will Self is a great writer, he's just great in general really. I'd highly recommend Great Apes.

currently...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2wV8xj-JQvR485QfHJB7qZUMzbWdv9MbzhYNmkZn0OPxEkycElw

It was REALLY hyped and while it's an interesting read I'm not sure it's living up to it all.

oh and demonoid has a grip of books, I have all of Adams' stuff on my phone.

To be honest, no backlighting was a bit of a concern for me at first, but I'm very happy it isn't. I'm on a computer all day at work and a computer 90% of the time I'm at home. No backlight gives my eyes a bit of a break. And not having easy internet access makes me less likely to get sidetracked when I actually sit down to read.

Anyways, enough Kindle fanboying, because that wasn't my intention. I've been meaning to start Suttree, but after your description of the first 20 pages, I need to wait for a better time than my lunch break to jump into it. Hopefully I find some time this weekend to pull myself away from the computer and world series baseball.

i love my kindle

i would not have purchased it, it was a gift

but being able to carry my entire music library and a massive book selection on vacation with me was simply unbeatable. we don't check bags and do a lot of walking, so the space even one paperback takes up can seem like too much when i know there's a good chance i'll finish it before the trip is even over.

they probably won't ever replace cookbooks for me, or coffee table books, but they serve an amazing purpose. porpoise.

and anyone who isn't into them can continue to go to bookstores and swap books and pay money for them

i will add them to the list of shit i no longer pay for

ILB maybe i'lll check that one out. looks cool

i can see how it might be nice for travel, however this summer i took one backpack across europe for 5 weeks walking countless miles and collected 8 paperbacks by the end. well worth it. what does one even need when traveling really? a change of clothes and some soap and a camera? cant think of anything better to fill the extra space with than books.