What book are you reading? Part 20

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

this is a DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT BOOK THIS IS post.

so, when i was pretty young I read a book about a blood stain on the floor of an attic.. or upper room. maybe there was a small door that was hard to break open to get to that room... anyway - the people that got the house were flashed back into how ever many years ago, as black people... and they got called niggers and were chased. that's all i remember about this book.

please, help me.

so, when i was pretty young I read a book about a blood stain on the floor of an attic.. or upper room. maybe there was a small door that was hard to break open to get to that room... anyway - the people that got the house were flashed back into how ever many years ago, as black people... and they got called niggers and were chased. that's all i remember about this book.

please, help me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindred_%28novel%29

is this it?

please, help me.

Goosebumps, surely.

and to edogg: Eggers is rad huh? Heartbreaking Work was definitely a great book.

As for me...

books-8329.jpeg

while i was not really digging Choke, i'm actually making my way through this pretty quick. It's sort of a novel/guidebook. some fiction, a lot of non-fiction...

and of course my recent relocation to Portland has a lot to do with my appreciation, but his style is not bothering me.

hey man. Don't you ever. EVER. EVEREVEREVEREVER compare cormac mccarthy to kerouac.

fuck i hate kerouac.

seriously.

i don't like kerouac but consider mccarthy a literary genius

yes, the style is challenging sometimes, but for me it completes the mood.

and his books are far more full of emotional depth than kerouac.. for me, anyway

i finished count of monte cristo on night trains through europe

it was worth the read, the second half seemed to pick up some steam.

there were a little too many serendipitous coincidences for my taste in the revenge scheme though

and dumas never really properly elucidates how this guy is able to make such a complete transition from humble fisherman to upperclass omniscient. too bad too, because i feel some of it could have easily been explained, but the abbe doesn't exactly train him to operate in high society. oh well. done.

i then proceeded to tear through the hunger games

it took me one day to read book 1, one night to read book 2 and if i hadn't fallen asleep and then gotten airsick on the plane, i'd probably been done with 3.

pretty awesome for 'teen-oriented' books. easy peasy reads.

Just finished Blood Meridian. That fucking ending caught me off guard somewhat. Without going into spoilers, I definitely saw part of it coming, but wasn't expecting it to be so indirect after the bluntness of the rest of the book. I enjoyed the book thoroughly, but could probably benefit from reading it more than once. I feel like a lot of little details slipped past me, due to some of the overwhelming vocabulary throughout the book. Combine that with the long-winded writing style, and I'm pretty sure I'd pick up a ton of things I missed on a second or third or fourth read.

Now I'm back to the "what the fuck do I want to read next?" phase.

%7BCF0B4BB7-E4BB-4D2E-91DB-D4166BDA0811%7DImg100.jpg

Finished this last week, hell of a read up until maybe half-way, then lost a ton of steam. I heard the rest of the trilogy is sub-par, I think I'll pass.

walking-hollywood-memories-before-fall-will-self-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

Currently reading this, new to Will Self, his style of writing is different to say the least. Half-way through, overall a good book.

• Like 1