What book are you reading? Part 20

Just finished No One Would Listen: A True Financial Thriller by Harry Markopolos.

It was okay. Looking for more books about the financial crisis if anyone has any recommendations.

i love the Frontlines on this stuff,

if you haven't seen them

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/madoff/

especially liked

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/warning/

i haven't read it yet but

Too Big To Fail

was well reviewed.

as is The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I liked Burmese Days by Orwell.

Went back to mom's house and reclaimed some classics that were collecting dust. I was going to go out and buy some new ones, but it's much cheaper to reread summer reading from high school and get to enjoy it.

Beloved- Toni Morrison

The Stranger- Albert Camus

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest- Ken Kessey

Recently reread The Great Gatsby and The Old Man and the Sea....Oddly enough I didn't like Gatsby as much as I remembered. I've read that they are making it a 3-d movie with Leonardo Dicaprio as Gatsby and that guy from Sea Biscuit as Nick, I hope they don;t blow it.

having a SERIOUS hard time finishing H.D.T.'s "Walden" and i really

don't wanna add to my need-to-finish stack with the first book of the new year.

tricks..tips..from my fellow readers. fuck. lol. shit was pretty good at the very beginning

but i've lost nearly all interest.

Edit*

there is nothing BUT cheesy when it comes to 3d. what in the fuck is wrong with hollywood, today?

^everything

they can't create new shit, so they remake it

and apparently they think 3D is good.

:nope:

as for finishing books you can't, i've got nothing. i tried to finish Infinite Jest twice, and i really like that book. also was not able to read much of Catch22. some shit just isn't that fun to read. move on

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/17/movies/baz-luhrmann-puts-the-great-gatsby-into-3-d.html?_r=1&scp=3&sq=the%20great%20gatsby&st=cse

I don't know, supposedly it's going to be the first 3-d movie that's not going to have cheesy visual gags it's just going to be a good movie that happens to be shot in 3-d. We'll see I guess.

they filmed part of this down from my house I kept meaning to go down there and get some snaps of the new york style house and garden set up in my local park. when i finally got my ass down there was just a bunch of guys putting 10 foot high tree stumps on the back of the truck.......... fail.

still Leo did have a good time going through the single women of sydney by all accounts so somebody won.....

I also couldn't finish Lolita

Still havent read that one. shame on me

so i just started teaching middle school and after much persuasion from my students i went out and bought this. 5pm, told myself id read one chapter. that came and went. told myself i'd read 100 pages. done and gone. next thing i know its 11pm and i havent moved the book is dome and the only time i got out of bed was to eat a trader joes ice cream sandwich (if you know, you know.)

i will start and finish the other two ASAP

200px-Hunger_games.jpg

I couldn't finish Lolita if you put a gun to my head.

i read the first few paragraphs and gave it back to the chick who lent it to me

Hunger Games is probably the best youth novel series to come out in ages

there were some plot holes and the end is messy

but i enjoyed it

i expect them to tame it for the big screen which will suck ass and ruin the meaning

i did finish reading them all in about 2 days.. after russian lit they are like magazines.

it's been a minute... some stuff from the last few months:

olcovers42-L.zip&file=420938-L.jpg

Barry Lopez memoir-ish stuff. Read "Apologia" if nothing else.

51GlQ667QKL.jpg

better than your average attempt at corralling "zen"

image001.gif

see above, then reverse it

Control_Nature.jpg

smart smart.

122781.jpg

the first half (i'm being generous) is tolerable. shit is TERRIBLE after that... he's better at walking than writing.

5169uNjRI4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

buddy's book... definitely not my style but he's got it locked

last-child-in-the-woods1.jpg

currently. lots of "fuck. yes!" moments in there.

and re: Thoreau. I just (literally yesterday morning) taught some chunks of Journals and Walden, and all of "Huckleberries" to my English students... they weren't having it either. Thoreau requires very slow reading and the acceptance that you will be bored by a fair amount of what he says. But there are these gems in there, buried in all the rambling and self-indulgent (yeah, it is) crap. The Thoreau perspective, that philosophy if you want to call it that, reverberates through pretty much every bit of "nature" writing and environmental lit to this day. The stuff he has to say on history alone is valuable...

i spent 2010 reading fiction 'classics'

only one i didn't finish was catch22 haha ..did read stuff like crime and punishment, anna karenina, war and peace, 1984, some hemingway, marquez, mccarthy

after that i went back to reading at random, hunger games and millenium trilogies, Murakami, WW2 book .. just put a bunch of stuff on the kindle including

Devil-in-the-White-City.jpg