What book are you reading? Part 20

mmm.. maybe i'll check it out

i've read a number of serial killer books but i'm not sure i care too much to hear what they have to say. i don't respect them or anything.

i actually REALLY wanna read 'the stranger beside me'

anyway, thanks noem, i'll def consider it

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
about to start

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSartcR_RZOxEfXt93NcOAUUsh2qNCGyOQ9n8Wa1Vis1DOVAaH2dZjuTyWp

so good.

His other books, eh, but I really liked American Psycho.

Just finnished this:

OldSchool.jpg

Thought it was pretty fuckin sweet.

Tobias Wolffs writting stirs up the strangest emotions in me.

About half-way into this:

1594483299.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Its alright so far.

I was getting hyped up on this book by so many people a couple years back,

so my expectaions might be a bit too high.

So far its not really meeting them, but its not bad.

i think this is more a personality type thing; once the ball is rolling, the momentum shouldn't be stopped, even if it's pointless to go on.

i've tried to read infinite jest twice and quit about halfway through each time, so now it's almost like a challenge.

i'm not into count of cristo but my man and my dad really lik eit so i;d like to get to the end just so i can get closure on the story.. i kinda want to know what happens, though some of me doesn't care that much.

the other thing about count is that it's listed as a classic, and i was on a classic reading kick. this is one of the last ones on the list (and i already couldn't finish catch22 so i'm not giving up on another one so soon)

Man, I love Count of Monte Cristo.

But that's also something I should have added. Some classics need to be read, even if you don't necessarily like them. I did it with Madame Bovary and probably a couple others I can't think of at the moment.

But the guy is reading a Palahniuk book. I would just put it down if I didn't like it.

oh... i also read all the way through The Plague by Camus because everyone seems to be in love with the guy... but fuck was I bored out of my mind.

Man, I love Count of Monte Cristo.

But that's also something I should have added. Some classics need to be read, even if you don't necessarily like them. I did it with Madame Bovary and probably a couple others I can't think of at the moment.

But the guy is reading a Palahniuk book. I would just put it down if I didn't like it.

oh... i also read all the way through The Plague by Camus because everyone seems to be in love with the guy... but fuck was I bored out of my mind.

yeah, we're in agreement on that take on classics

madame bovary was a bit of a slog because i found her to be in-fucking-sufferable

if she was my lady i'd kick her whiny ass to the curb.. as a fiercely independent woman i didn't identify with it even a little bit, and found her to be so weak. i did finish it though, i found it very easy reading

count is far more dense.. and i dunno, it's not a bad book but for whatever reason it never pulled me in

palahniuk is easy .. i'd toss if it i wasn't into it, but his books take me about 2 days to read haha

i should read The Stranger.. one of the last on my list of 'classics i should read'

brave new world i really like.. interesting take on the future, and a little too close to reality.

i stopped reading lolita after about the 3rd page.. i knew right away it wasn't for me. kinda got a case of the ewwws

*and btw, i personally found the English Patient and Atonement to be pretty fucking convincing love stories that didn't involve someone being total perv hahahaha [responding to the quote on the cover of that book]

Lolita is definately gross. The quality of writting is by far Nabakov's best. But it doesn't take away from the disgust factor.

If by 'The Stranger' you mean "L'estrange" written by Camus. It's one of the best books I read this year along with 100 years of solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

I've been like that all my life, fighting my way through classics that must be read. I would spit venom at people who kept posting up the usual Pahliunuk, Vonnegut, yada yada in the older threads.

I have read a shit load of Dumas and in no way consider the Count a MUST read. I've read it over five times and love the hell out of it, but it's sort of olden day pulp, I think.

Going to the book store today. Want something easy, like a WEB Griffin.

Never read Lolita because I didn't want to look weird on the subway during rush hour, with all the high school girls running around. I've read a bunch of Nabokov's short stories and found them to be very good. Years ago.

:(

i'm reading Choke right now... started it, then took a little hiatus due to being preoccupied by a new city.

i'm enjoying it i guess. Palahniuk's subject matter is a little try-hard-ish for me... contrived at times...

i need to finish it before i make a final judgment...

we shall see

i need to get back on my reading game.

its all good....i own choke though....so im sure i will eventually pick it up again and actually finish it this time.

yeah, we're in agreement on that take on classics

madame bovary was a bit of a slog because i found her to be in-fucking-sufferable

if she was my lady i'd kick her whiny ass to the curb.. as a fiercely independent woman i didn't identify with it even a little bit, and found her to be so weak. i did finish it though, i found it very easy reading

palahniuk is easy .. i'd toss if it i wasn't into it, but his books take me about 2 days to read haha

i should read The Stranger.. one of the last on my list of 'classics i should read'

brave new world i really like.. interesting take on the future, and a little too close to reality.

i remember my first camus.

i'm all about quitting books that i'm not all about. my to-read pile will always be bigger than my have-read pile, and i don't see the point in getting hung up on something that drags or is poorly written.

the stranger is one of my favorite books. a happy death was also pretty good. the rebel was mehh.

and holy hell do i feel you on the whole to-read and have-read pile. mines not bigger or anything but dammit if i dont have one. i've actually started picking the t0-reads ups and forcing myself through them only to put them back again. i reckon every dudes different but even 6-7 years later those same

books i just can't finish. mostly some philosophy. beyond good and evil, dostoevsky, age of reason, on death and dying, to name a few. then a brief history of time which i picked up as a recommendation for a dude who thought black holes were interesting. not at all for a dude not on symbols level lol. thats just a handful but i'm also trying to knock out some real classics at the moment. hence the of mice and men. i'm also open to suggestions (in the shorter area)

• 3 weeks later...
imgme-talk-pretty-one-day2.jpg

picked this up at the thrift store a few months back and just started a few days ago.

im already a few chapters in. so far its funny.

also, found out sedaris is gonna be in town in november, but tickets are almost $50, and i don't think im willing to shell out $50 to hear him speak.

• Like 1

i saw sedaris in santa cruz a couple years ago for $40.

it was worth it.

yeah, i guess he was at my university back in april and general admission tickets were $50, but for students it was $25...but i graduated a couple of years ago, so i wouldnt have even been able to go then either.

money is very tight right now, so i guess its either find a way to sneak in or wait till next time he's in town...hopefully i will have more money by then :(

51jy2VXl-mL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Entertaining read!

^yeah, i picked up kitchen confidential the same day i picked up me talk pretty one day...hopefully i can get to it soon, ive seen people mention it in this thread a bunch of times and cant wait to read it.

by the way, thrift stores are a good place to pick up books...me talk pretty one say and kitchen confidential were each $1.50