What book are you reading? Part 20

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
On 1/2/2022 at 6:48 PM, Ko SprueOne said:

This one must be intriguing. Talk to us about it

That's a broad, open-ended question, anything specific?  There's not a ton of prison literature out there, at least not that makes it to book format.  Nice that this story does, and in a graphic novel format too.  Frank Smith was one of the key players in what took place and his story has been told before in interviews and such.  He was punished by guards with beatings and torture in the aftermath of the riot.  The riot happened in the early 70's and was under litigation until 2000 when it was settled, long after the death of Gov Rockefeller who ordered the retaking of the prison.  The riot itself is one of the more significant prison happenings anywhere ever and is full of lessons of what to do and not do for all parties involved.  Sadly, while this event has made its place in history, the lessons learned from it are not necessarily applied in today's jails/prisons despite the known potential outcomes of ignoring these lessons.  

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 12:33 PM, joshh.702 said:

Always wanted to give this book  a try after being fond of the Netflix adaptation. Let me know how you end up liking it! 

A few chapters in now and it's been a while since watching S01 but from what I remember the netflix adaptation is pretty true to story.  So far.  Pretty gritty, I dig. 

• Like 1

• KILZ FILLZ pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

yeah, me three

19 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

I am hella looking forward to Flea coming with the follow up book.

Have you read the Beastie Boys book? That was a great read, unconventional but really enjoyable. @compton redput me up on that one. 

I'm gonna look that up and maybe pick it up. My county library branch may have one. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 3:44 PM, Wyeast said:

the first 80 or so pages flew by. Liking it a lot so far A901ED09-A4F2-40F9-A4D1-2F3D7F2325C8.thumb.jpeg.75d8fa545d82d7779fed35c3b47b6f85.jpeg

@Wyeast what's this about is it a travel type book or a novel?

On 1/14/2022 at 10:44 AM, Schnitzel said:

attempt number 2 begins tonight

image.thumb.png.57329708dc59d0117ca086e5209f9d09.png

read 2 pages on holiday like three years ago and then the book has been in the trunk of the car ever since..

AND FINALLY!!!

made it to page 40 last night. took a lot of effort to get past page 4 but then it just clicked.

Edited by Schnitzel
  • Like 2

On 2/27/2022 at 5:21 PM, Schnitzel said:

@Wyeast what's this about is it a travel type book or a novel?

AND FINALLY!!!

made it to page 40 last night. took a lot of effort to get past page 4 but then it just clicked.

Lincoln Highway is super good man…it’s travel…freight hopping…Americana…a bit of a mystery…a bit sad…kids getting into misadventures both innocent and not so…it’s fresh in like multiple ways if that makes sense? 

On 1/17/2022 at 10:20 AM, metronome said:

Just started this 

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan (2002-12-23): 9780739432143: Books -  Amazon.ca

Finally finished Altered Carbon.  Not that it wasn’t good, just haven’t had much time for reading outside of textbooks.

Super gritty, cyberpunk/detective noire.  Really liked it and moving onto the second Takeshi Kovacs book now. 

• Like 3