What book are you reading? Part 20

• 1 month later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Finished Gardens of the Moon.

Lost as fuck for the first 65%-75% of the way and then it ended in a weird place. 

I'm convinced that it was intended to be much much longer but they made them end it and break it into pieces.

Going to give Deadhouse Gates a shot next. I'm still struggling alot with keeping things straight in my mind, who;s who and what's what. 

Just added The Witcher books by Andrej Sapkowski and The Void Trilogy by Peter F Hamilton to my list.

Been trying to learn guitar lately so not as much time for reading/listening.

gardens.jpg

• 2 months later...

listened to these two because I wanted some type of apocalyptic type reading but without undead monsters etc.

probably wont go back for the third episode

297842136_ScreenShot2019-04-30at4_15_48pm.png.f8fb92a513771a781b18e3cf5c3be5ad.png

666399330_ScreenShot2019-04-30at4_16_07pm.thumb.png.ccc2c3731eb4a823d01f69e5c29cd71e.png

currently listening to this but goddamn it's fucking long i'm 8 hours in with another 17 to go.

might be a good point to end  up this apocalypse reading

1537007348_ScreenShot2019-04-30at4_21_49pm.png.11a693220c2c4575c96748eeacb6edc3.png

Finished Gardens of the Moon.

Lost as fuck for the first 65%-75% of the way and then it ended in a weird place. 

I'm convinced that it was intended to be much much longer but they made them end it and break it into pieces.

more than halfway into gardens of the moon but taking a break.

Did this one next

81187b58-a78a-4ac1-a7f6-558408ee26dd_1.2

Just started The Witcher series.

• 4 weeks later...

meant to say i was half way into Deadhouse Gates.

Finished Deadhouse Gates.

Did one of The Witcher - The Last Wish i think? its short stories. 

Not sure what I'm doing next. 

Wolverine has a new podcast out so I may dig into it. Really liked the last one and I recommend it. season 1 is free on itunes. you can get season 2 free for a month using instructions on their site

http://www.wolverinepodcast.com/

On 4/30/2019 at 12:53 AM, Schnitzel said:

listened to these two because I wanted some type of apocalyptic type reading but without undead monsters etc.

probably wont go back for the third episode

297842136_ScreenShot2019-04-30at4_15_48pm.png.f8fb92a513771a781b18e3cf5c3be5ad.png

666399330_ScreenShot2019-04-30at4_16_07pm.thumb.png.ccc2c3731eb4a823d01f69e5c29cd71e.png

currently listening to this but goddamn it's fucking long i'm 8 hours in with another 17 to go.

might be a good point to end  up this apocalypse reading

1537007348_ScreenShot2019-04-30at4_21_49pm.png.11a693220c2c4575c96748eeacb6edc3.png

Thought the first one was awesome but never read the others since I couldn’t imagine how they’d keep the story line going. Also because my favorite part of PA fiction is problem solving and experiences of when the changes from normal life unfold. Admittedly I read a ton of zombie shit, but can recommend a ton of more realistic PA fiction if you’re into it. 

On 6/1/2019 at 10:43 PM, misteraven said:

Thought the first one was awesome but never read the others since I couldn’t imagine how they’d keep the story line going. Also because my favorite part of PA fiction is problem solving and experiences of when the changes from normal life unfold. Admittedly I read a ton of zombie shit, but can recommend a ton of more realistic PA fiction if you’re into it. 

I do audiobooks on the train, while working etc. so would love recommendations for sure!

The first one was good I thought -  painted a very chilling picture and made me realise that things would not be rosy around my way .

I agree with you on  the problem solving part - the thing that completely chilled me with the first book was the way he explained that everything would go fucking pie shaped quickly.

The old folks home scene was a big example. I hadn't quite considered how deep supply chains run on every single thing. 

the main take out was that no matter how gangster I think I am in my wildest fantasies - i'd be one of the dead in the first 6 months.

The second one  was okay and did deal with likely scenarios - china taking the USA west of the rockies as an "occupying peacekeeping force", logistical problems with reintegrating communities etc. But it was like this former army commander with his former army sergeant buddies train this ultra intense fighting unit that takes out whole army units and learns to fly a blackhawk helicopter on the spot. Seemed like the writer was imagining himself as the hero.

On 6/1/2019 at 10:44 PM, misteraven said:

Oh yeah, also read Seveneves. Won’t comment until you’re done. 

okay after listening for 21 hours I hit the 

"5000 years later"

and I've been going through it very slowly since then. Unsure if I can be bothered as it seems a never ending description of the arks etc.

it's good but a bit tiresome.

comment away

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...