Dark Night of the Soul- David Lynch, Danger Mouse, + collab

defiepilex

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I know this question will sound silly to some of more-computer-savvy folk, but...

What the hell do I do with an .rar (binary) file? Do I need some special application to open/convert it?

I'm on a mac if it matters. Thanks in advance (to those of you who aren't consistently dick-headed).

download winrar or another application that opens rar files, should be available at download.com.

and I think its winrar that says its only available as a trial, but as far as I know it just keeps working without any need to purchase.

here's the article

Danger Mouse, the amazing mashup artist, producer, and half of Gnarls Barkley, is unable to release his newest album due to legal battles with his label, so he's embracing piracy to get his music heard.

After "legal battles," Danger Mouse's new album has been shelved by his label, EMI. But fearful that his work would never be heard, Danger Mouse came up with an idea to get his music out there while at the same time showing his anger at EMI. The album, entitled Dark Night of the Soul, will be sold as a "100+ page book" of photographs inspired by the music and taken by David Lynch, and will include a blank CD-R to be filled with torrented mp3s. All copies will be clearly labelled:

'For Legal Reasons, enclosed CD-R contains no music. Use it as you will.'

Danger Mouse made his name with a mashup of The Beatles' White Album and Jay-Z's Black Album titled, of course, The Grey Album, which was only available through non-commercial means, so this is a guy who despite his success is very aware of the state of music sales. Dark Night of the Soul is already available to stream for free from NPR, so it looks like Danger Mouse is going all out with his plan to thoroughly infuriate his record label. [via Boing Boing]